Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dignitary
  1.    #1  
    So lets say HP decides to come back with webOS hardware, would this leave a chance that the pre 2 & pre 3 may again see software updates? Or do you think they're solely going to go with tablets only? I recall reading a post an employee or dev said there wouldnt be any pre 3 updates ever again, but this reversal could change that maybe?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    So lets say HP decides to come back with webOS hardware, would this leave a chance that the pre 2 & pre 3 may again see software updates? Or do you think they're solely going to go with tablets only? I recall reading a post an employee or dev said there wouldnt be any pre 3 updates ever again, but this reversal could change that maybe?
    Never

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  3. dbodner's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #3  
    Everything I've read indicates they're only interested in Tablets, not the smartphone market. Which is a shame, since I'm much more interested in the smartphone market and I thought webOS was the best smartphone OS of the big 3.
  4. #4  
    face it- we are all here because of pda's and smartphones, not tablets.

    its much easier to carry a smartphone, and for everyone a smartphone is like a watch or ring or eyeglasses. Its with you, a part of you.

    not so for tablets. You may use one on your couch, or at your desk or at work...but you're not carrying it down the street to the grocery store, you're not using it to communicate with the outside world.

    we all need phones. We all don't need tablets.
    why can't a big company like hp see this?
  5.    #5  
    That's why I posted this. I really want my newly made pre2 to get update and hope it happens one day. I feel if Hurd was still in charge all would of went as planned with an ecosystem of apps/tablets/cells/etc.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6. #6  
    If they move forward with webOS tablets, I'd guess they would release a couple of last updates for 2.x line and let it go until they found a suitable hardware manufacturer to pick up that end with devices. There's literally no economic sense in paying employees to serve updates to end-of-lifed hardware ad nauseum.

    As for reviving Pre 3 updates, I highly highly doubt that will be reversed. There are so few units out there, none of them in the U.S. are even technically "released" or supported by a single carrier, and there's not even a warranty on that hardware stateside as a result.

    tl;dr: If webOS is revived with tablets, that's where they're going to throw all their resources so they don't risk coming out with a half-assed product that destroys what's left of the entire webOS brand once and for all.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/16/2011 at 09:24 PM.
  7. #7  
    And an "ecosystem" is much more than devices and having a variety of form factors these days in the mobile space: It's first-party, trusted and robust service offerings. Look at iOS, Android, WP7, and even Amazon's flavor of Android to an extent; all of them have true, first-party media and productivity ecosystems or are rapidly getting there.

    That aspect is every bit as vital nowadays to the adoption and continued survival of a mobile OS as the hardware and OS itself. webOS does not have anywhere near that in place, so it has a hell of a lot of catching up to do if it's ever to compete with those that do. Relying solely on third-party applications to fill that void just won't cut it anymore, whether it's the 7digital music store or HP's sparse Roxio-licensed Movie Store. QuickOffice HD and Box.net were a good start, yes, but it's also somewhat a disadvantage on many levels.

    Point being, you just can't throw devices onto the market and expect people to latch onto them when Android, iOS, WP7, and even Amazon have a huge value proposition in packaging all of these services up with the device at no additional cost.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/16/2011 at 09:42 PM.
    cgk likes this.
  8. #8  
    no
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #9  
    If HP misses this holliday season they might as well give it up. Many people will have just moved on. I myself am fine with my WebOS product right now but like most here, I'm a techie/junkie and will someday be forced to move on to some other product because it is the brightest and newest thing to have. With all this in mind and a perfect HP world, HP will come out with Pads, have a good contract in place with someone like HTC to make phones and then just maybe updates. But it is a slim shot in the end. Personally I don't see it.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  10. #10  
    That's nto an IF, there's no possible way they can get into this holiday season with anything more than whatever TouchPads are left in the channels. The rebates obviously aren't going like the proverbial hotcakes, but they are going.

    There might be a couple of updates left for telephone devices, but I doubt you'll see much more for the existing lineup. There's NO reason whatsoever for the carriers to undertake device testing.

    If you do see anything, it'll be more laid out like the Maps update.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  11. #11  
    If they didn't do it before, I don't see why they'd do it now.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  12. Landslug's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #12  
    They didn't update my Pre+ even though its still under contract, so I can't imagine them updating old devices a year (or more) from now. That's what kept me from getting a Pre3 from Ebay.
  13.    #13  
    The reason i'd hope they'd update the newer 2.x devices is ruby said phones would run 2.x and tablets 3.x some time ago. If they bring webOS back and realize they want phones again it'd take some time for hardware and updating the OS would be the same as the tablet...no new hardware but moving forward to fix issues. Wishful thinking I know.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  14. errsta's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #14  
    I'm done with HP.

    I really hope Palm/webOS escapes from tech purgatory and finds a home with someone who will give the technology the push it deserves.
  15.    #15  
    http://techfanatix.com/2011/12/09/we...m-palm-pre-2s/

    Announcement due today for webOS, but they proved us wrong and released a pre2 update. Wow! Will wait for webOSinternalz meta doc :-D

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  16. #16  
    if they come back with hardware the best thing they do is as quick as possible firesale all pre3's to kick start back into phones to give them some time to work on pre4.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    http://techfanatix.com/2011/12/09/we...m-palm-pre-2s/

    Announcement due today for webOS, but they proved us wrong and released a pre2 update. Wow! Will wait for webOSinternalz meta doc :-D

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Boy was I wrong

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    if they come back with hardware the best thing they do is as quick as possible firesale all pre3's to kick start back into phones to give them some time to work on pre4.
    If they do yet another generation of portrait-sliders that are virtually identical to the previous model with incremental improvements, they are never going to get anywhere.

    Palm and HP-Palm, since the release of the Pre in mid-2009 (correct?) have released 6? models of phones: Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, Pixi, Veer. All of them are basically the same phone with differing processor speed and storage/ram, and each model gets a slightly better keyboard. The Pixi and Veer get smaller displays, the Pre3 gets a larger one.

    Another "same thing with an incremental update" would just be insanity. Not only does the system need devs, and apps, and support, but it also needs some diversity. Anyone who puts the portrait slider in their hands and doesn't immediately like it, you're not selling them a device. And if that's all you have in your arsenal, you're never going to get that customer. And I have serious doubts that "landscape slider" is a very popular and well-loved form factor.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If they do yet another generation of portrait-sliders that are virtually identical to the previous model with incremental improvements, they are never going to get anywhere.

    Palm and HP-Palm, since the release of the Pre in mid-2009 (correct?) have released 6? models of phones: Pre, Pre+, Pre2, Pre3, Pixi, Veer. All of them are basically the same phone with differing processor speed and storage/ram, and each model gets a slightly better keyboard. The Pixi and Veer get smaller displays, the Pre3 gets a larger one.

    Another "same thing with an incremental update" would just be insanity. Not only does the system need devs, and apps, and support, but it also needs some diversity. Anyone who puts the portrait slider in their hands and doesn't immediately like it, you're not selling them a device. And if that's all you have in your arsenal, you're never going to get that customer. And I have serious doubts that "landscape slider" is a very popular and well-loved form factor.
    It's not popular, but definitely well loved by those who appreciate them (read: Pre diehards and Blackberry 98X0, believe me I see BB98XXs everywhere).

    I'm actually test driving an Android Nexus S right now I bought for my sis, but I already can't wait to go back to my Pre 3 because of the keyboard.

    Incremental update is fine, just don't make it the only damn form factor (read: Bring back the Pixi!)

Posting Permissions