Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI..........see link.

Take care, Jay

Amazon Tipped to Buy webOS
    Amazon is reportedly now examining the patents that HP acquired when it bought webOS last year

By: Maureen O'Gara
    Nov. 14, 2011 10:32 AM

Amazon Tipped to Buy webOS | SYS-CON MEDIA

Hewlett-Packard is negotiating the sale of its webOS platform to Amazon according to a source who claims to know what's going on.

Amazon is reportedly now examining the patents that HP acquired when it bought webOS last year as part of its $1.2 billion purchase of Palm.

HP CEO Meg Whitman told staff Tuesday that no decision would be made about the fate of webOS for another three or four weeks. Amazon's patent examination would explain the delay. It might also suggests that Amazon could walk away if it doesn't like what it finds or if financial terms can't be reached. webOS isn't expected to fetch more than a few hundred million dollars.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    hf199, 1969bob, tech4pk and 2 others like this.
    Already reported, thanks. Hint: if you can't find your article or others like it, search for "rumor" on precentral and watch the floodgates open.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...bos-rumor.html
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I dont think Jay searches much or reads much here, he posts a lot though, sometimes there are articles posted days later they have been on the front page.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if you realize that I am the sole caregiver for my 88 year old Mom who suffered 2 heart attacks and a stroke...that doesn't leave me as much time to follow up on postings as I should....I'm dancing as fast I can guys....put my plate is rather full of late....Oh BTW my Fiance is recovery from foot/leg surgery and has been in a cast for over 3 months now...and will have to have 2 years of Physical Therapy........Oh in case you didn't realize this as well I'm also disabled my chronic pain...so my cup renneth over these days....would you prefer that I don't post at all...

When one posts on this site a limited search is automatically done...If it doesn't come up with the limited search results...I post the article....that all I have time for people...

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Soorma likes this.
    Jay keep doing what you are doing you do a great job.
    74sickness and I agree, you are doing a great job, especially @ home taking care of your family. Don't worry about a posting faux paas...hey, I think I just made a spelling one!
    Yeah, Jay comes up with loads of great stuff. Thanks mate!
    Keep up the good work Jay, I for one appreciate your many informative posts. Also thanks for posting an Informational thread topic.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 11/15/2011 at 05:53 AM.
    Yes, this is a duplicate thread. But its subject is much better than the other thread, which gives no hint about it ("another webos rumor"). So Jay wouldn't have realized enyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Already reported, thanks. Hint: if you can't find your article or others like it, search for "rumor" on precentral and watch the floodgates open.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...bos-rumor.html
    Jay,
    My comment was meant to be dry humor about precentral these days.
    If Meg Whitman is going down to Palm and having face-to-face meetings with webOS about keeping webOS, its most likely she is doing so, see Derek's story below (and HP sending out surveys about the TouchPad, suggests they are figuring out what to do with it). All the other variants on precentra (and there are a bunch)l, if they weren't rumors before, they are rumors now.

http://www.precentral.net/hp-keeping...what-does-mean

ps: sorry about your family, hang in there
    @jay: I always like your post. Just keep posting!
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Thanks Jay and everyone who finds new info if even only rumor and otherwise.

Android is having a bunch of problems with Copyright infringements and most other providers like Samsung have bought into having rights to Microsoft technologies to cover their arses from Apple, Patent Trolls, or otherwise.

Amazon would be a great suitor for webOS, not sure if they would use it, but I'd love to see cards, swiping, and useful multitasking be useful again on any platform. My fear though, is Amazon buys it just for the patents and nothing else, but then why would anyone spend that kind of money and not use it (like HP is doing). Thanks, Brian...
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    yeah i think at this point anyone who buys webOs would probably just be for the patents.
    I don't think Amazon would buy something just for the patents.

I think they are looking towards the future. They won't be able to use Android in this manner AND keep up with the competition as Android matures. They need an OS that they can maintain and grow if they intend to stray from the pack and be successful.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Amazon would be in a great position if they bought webOS. One of the biggest pans against the Amazon Fire is Android. webOS gives Amazon a solid OS and gives webOS an ecosystem that is pre-built.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if you realize that I am the sole caregiver for my 88 year old Mom who suffered 2 heart attacks and a stroke...that doesn't leave me as much time to follow up on postings as I should....I'm dancing as fast I can guys....put my plate is rather full of late....Oh BTW my Fiance is recovery from foot/leg surgery and has been in a cast for over 3 months now...and will have to have 2 years of Physical Therapy........Oh in case you didn't realize this as well I'm also disabled my chronic pain...so my cup renneth over these days....would you prefer that I don't post at all...

When one posts on this site a limited search is automatically done...If it doesn't come up with the limited search results...I post the article....that all I have time for people...

take care,

Jay
    I am sorry I didnot realize you are going through all this, apologies.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    I hate that it looks like they are just interested in patents. Not only would that mean the real end of webOS, but also that it it means there is yet another patent troll out there.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    in this day and age, patents offer protection. Look at apple vs. Samsung. How apple basically is using patents to kill samsung competition. Or how microsoft is now going after all the android device makers and basically demanding ransom money for each device sold (or face legal action).
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I think they are looking towards the future. They won't be able to use Android in this manner AND keep up with the competition as Android matures. They need an OS that they can maintain and grow if they intend to stray from the pack and be successful.
    This doesn't make sense. Amazon can continue to use any version of android it wants. Manufacturers don't *have* to update to the latest version. They can maintain it and grow it as much as they want (which they have already done as the kindle interface is a significant departure from the stock android interface.)

As for patent protection, keep in mind that Amazon is likely one of the biggest customers to most of these companies (how many bajillion Microsoft OEM discs, Office suite boxes, keyboards, mice, etc. does Amazon ship out every year.) It's one thing to try and extort the competition down the street. It is another to try and do it to one of your biggest distribution outlets.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Amazon would be in a great position if they bought webOS. One of the biggest pans against the Amazon Fire is Android. webOS gives Amazon a solid OS and gives webOS an ecosystem that is pre-built.
    WebOS has very few apps and to get into the game NOW, you need to release a device with tons of apps.

Amazon cannot back away from Android now. They have thousands of Android apps, that will be on millions of Amazon Kindle Fire. Also developers are releasing there Android Apps for the Kindle Fire (Netflx, Hulu+). What is Amazon going to do, tell the owners of the Kindle Fire and the next Kindle tablet (rumor 8.9" by the end of the year) that we are changing the OS and all your apps will not work; tell the ANDROID developers to start developing apps for WebOS? WebOS have a small app catalog compared to Apple, Android, and Windows Phone.

This is not going to happen!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I don't think Amazon would buy something just for the patents.

Tablets are nice and all but I really want is another webOS phone!
    Will we get one from Amazon? We'll get a tablet for sure but phones, unlikely.
    Thus, I don't really care for Amazon as the buyer.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast