Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
    This may be bad news regarding Amazon:
    Amazon.com Readying Smartphone for Next Year, Citigroup Says
    It is probably a done deal, Amazon probably all but own webOS as of right now.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You do need 10,000 (even more would be better) apps to have a rich user experience.
    Well, there's our problem. Rod said there are 9699 apps in the catalog. (For all devices and regions.) Someone hurry and write the other 301!
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    I don't see that at all. The Fire uses Android, why would Amazon buy webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Well, there's our problem. Rod said there are 9699 apps in the catalog. (For all devices and regions.) Someone hurry and write the other 301!
    *modifies the iOS Fart App generator to work for webOS*
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post
    I don't see that at all. The Fire uses Android, why would Amazon buy webOS?

Did Google/Android make a move or was it just rumor that they were thinking of blocking a move with the newer/newest versions of Android to prevent the software from being "submerged" under another???

If that is written into the newer/newest version of Androids contracts with firms using the platforms...wouldn't that limit what Amazon?

If that's the case...

After all they would be free to do what ever they wanted to do with the current version, but couldn't do to the latest version...wouldn't Amazon have a problem? After all there is so much you can do with a version of an OS....

Sooner or later they would need to upgrade the OS and that would be a problem.

Also owning webOS would allow they to make it their OS and free to do what ever they wanted to...as I've pointed out in a number of threads there already are a number of apps & games which are for the Android OS and yet they got them up and running on the TouchPad....it's being done on budget of almost nothing, with a very small staff.

WebOS was designed with it's two sets of tools to be able to port apps & games into it from other platforms....with Amazon's $ it should be doable for them to get a great deal of apps ported to webOS...

Also by controlling the OS from start to finish Amazon would have a larger bargaining position with app writers/creators to have them port apps for Amazon...

Amazon is basically furthering the fracture of Android and they may see that as a problem down the road as Google/Android....after all I've read a number of times that Google/Android are trying to prevent the fracturing problem...which may limit how Amazon can use and design future products...

Now I haven't used a Kindle Fire...I do have a Android phone, Samsung Epic which I find the OS is lacking in elegance...it's not as easy to use as logical as it should be....
    For example I want to back my phone...so now I have to root the phone first....

That should have been done as part of the original OS or as part of the app that performs the back up...

Here's an other example...

I bought a Tivo they day they 1st went up for sale...TIVO has an almost zero learning curve....both of my parents figured it out in a few minutes...

I switched the TV service at my home a few weeks ago....I'm no longer using DirecTV after 12 years and my TV service is now thru my land line provider, (centurylink), now we have a whole house DVR which can record 4 shows at once, pause in one room and pick up watching it in another...it records in HI def a the same time it records 3 other show....

The DVR is made my Motorola and the OS is Microsoft.....the system is lacking in elegance and simplicity...Something that took one button push on the Tivo now takes going thru 3 or 4 menus to do so.

The Remote isn't as well thought out as it should be....if you watch a show that is on two channels it list them separately and you can't combine the listing

IE: The Mentalist is of course on CBS for first run and then on wed 2 shows on TNT. They show up as separate likings...causing you to go thru page after page on the cue of recorded shows looking for it...the screen lists only 5 shows at a time....

TIVO allowed you to have all episodes listed together of one show even if it's on different channels....TIVO displayed twice as many show listings per page...so there was much less navigation to find what your looking for..

In spite of the fact that Tivo's OS and the MS OS aren't webOS and Android...I'm sure you get my point....webOS is extremely user friendly...it avoids techojargon and is a non existant learning curve and android has a very large learning curve....perhaps Amazon feels that if th control the ENTIRE OS they can make it far more user freindly.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    doesn't make sense for amazon to be in a digital media war with google but rely on google for their operating systems.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Every company in some point makes stupid decision at least once. Maybe now is this moment for Amazon to make mistake and buy its own OS....
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Beyond your personal preference, the actual evidence for this statement is? ?????
    This whole buying webOS to have their own OS to “do as they please” makes absolutely no sense. With the fork of Android that they have and use now, they can do whatever they want however they want in the direction that they want.

Don't forget that Amazon has their own Android market that is actually quite successful. The Kindle Fire doesn't (at least stock) have access to Google's Android Market, so Amazon is already limiting its users to their ecosystem.

If Amazon buys webOS, it'd be for protection alone, not for anything more or less. That's my assumption, anyways.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You do need 10,000 (even more would be better) ...
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    *modifies the iOS Fart App generator to work for webOS*
    each one featuring an unique fart experience out of 301 sounds
    Pre≥ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Isn't the WebOS version of fart apps those french city guides?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    ...webOS is extremely user friendly...it avoids techojargon and is a non existant learning curve and android has a very large learning curve....perhaps Amazon feels that if th control the ENTIRE OS they can make it far more user freindly.[/SIZE][/B]

Take care,

Jay
    this is common prejudice regarding Android and webOS. There is no learning curve, there is only adjustment period if you switched from one platform to Android. Also, on Android you can get some stuff packed as app, and on webOS you have to hack your device to achieve same goal but with limited functionality. Good example is ftp connection to Pre, for that you have to go through some serious hassle, and on Android GalaxyS you have only to install Kies air app to achieve much broader functionality like complete device browsing and not just file transfer.
    Also, hacking Android is much easier than hacking webOS. I, for myself, always had problem understanding posts from webosinternals guys because their tech-jargon is often to techy to me. You should jump to their section and check some threads to see how "average Joe" friendly they are.

Anyway, I could imagine Amazon bytes Jon's sweet talk and finally purchase webOS. This things happen, at last HP bought webOS without single idea what to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    this is common prejudice regarding Android and webOS. There is no learning curve, there is only adjustment period if you switched from one platform to Android. Also, on Android you can get some stuff packed as app, and on webOS you have to hack your device to achieve same goal but with limited functionality. Good example is ftp connection to Pre, for that you have to go through some serious hassle, and on Android GalaxyS you have only to install Kies air app to achieve much broader functionality like complete device browsing and not just file transfer.
    Also, hacking Android is much easier than hacking webOS. I, for myself, always had problem understanding posts from webosinternals guys because their tech-jargon is often to techy to me. You should jump to their section and check some threads to see how "average Joe" friendly they are.

Anyway, I could imagine Amazon bytes Jon's sweet talk and finally purchase webOS. This things happen, at last HP bought webOS without single idea what to do with it.
    If you said Android easier to hack, then why there is no 'patch' like on Android. Or maybe I miss that. All I know Android hack is all about to rooting and flash custom roms. And that caused by OS fragmentation. More over webOS Internal already prepared complete info and Preware for non tech savvy. None such Preware on Android. You can't add feature to build-in app on Android. All I know you need install other app that have better feature.

For me it is just preference you want to learn and enjoy one OS over another. Not because Android is easier to learn or not.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post

Hi, I disagree with you 110%!

In order to back up my android Samsung Epic have have to Root it what ever that is and I still can't get it to work....

Back up apps should work out of the box or better yet Android should be ready for backups out of the box....I love all the choices of apps for my phone...but I don't like android too...

Android is far from user friendly....

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    If you said Android easier to hack, then why there is no 'patch' like on Android. Or maybe I miss that. All I know Android hack is all about to rooting and flash custom roms.
    If you think this is the only option available to change the android interface and user experience, then you really are limiting your understanding to the *most extreme* cases of complexity. There really is *much* more available to change the behavior of android and it is often available directly in the android market. No hacking involved.

To base your comments and criticisms against android based on this little knowledge you have is not only a disservice to others who may be curious, but to yourself as well.

Also, fwiw, there were fewer steps involved in "rooting" my android phone than there was involved in getting preware installed on my pre+. Not that either of the two activites were overly hard to anyone with average skills enough to navigate a website/enter a web address...

-Suntan
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If you think this is the only option available to change the android interface and user experience, then you really are limiting your understanding to the *most extreme* cases of complexity. There really is *much* more available to change the behavior of android and it is often available directly in the android market. No hacking involved.

To base your comments and criticisms against android based on this little knowledge you have is not only a disservice to others who may be curious, but to yourself as well.

Also, fwiw, there were fewer steps involved in "rooting" my android phone than there was involved in getting preware installed on my pre+. Not that either of the two activites were overly hard to anyone with average skills enough to navigate a website/enter a web address...

-Suntan
    Hi Sutan... Nice to have you still trolling here at precentral which you always disagree everything about webOS greatness.

Same with you.. Your knowledge about WebOS very limited and tend to little too.
    If you know everything better then me about Android greatness why you still trolling around here. I wonder why Android army like you still here which you already lost passion with webOS?

I post up there to comment about easy or not hacking. I'm not said that Android always need to be hack.
    I know rooting now very easy. 1click root. Do you think I don't know? But Preware much better the that. With just Preware we can do many thing after that. But on Android, after you do root, you still wondering what I need to do next to take advantage of my rooted device.
    c000 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I post up there to comment about easy or not hacking. I'm not said that Android always need to be hack.
    I'm just responding to what you wrote, which was:

All I know Android hack is all about to rooting and flash custom roms.
    To which I responded that there are a lot more options available, with a lot less hassle than rooting and flashing custom roms. If you were trying to imply something other than you wrote, that's fine. But you need to clarify yourself instead of getting offended and throwing around insults and name calling.

I know you've gotten flack from other people around here for your English. I personally don't have an issue with ESL written comments that are hard to understand, I appreciate comments from people around the world. But at the same time you need to accept that some of the things you write are not easily interpreted so it is best if you tone down the follow-up name calling if/when someone miss-interprets the comments you write.

As for my knowledge of webOS, I owned a pre+ for a year, installed preware and added many patches to it. In the end I installed uberkernal/govnah and overclocked at 1Ghz, etc. etc. I would say I have a fairly solid, though by no means intimate, understanding of what is involved with webOS hacking. At least from a user standpoint.

On the android-side, I would say I have less familiarity with everything available to do in android, but I have investigated far enough to root my phone.

As such, I have what I would say is a fairly solid understanding of the different hacking options available on both phone OSes.

In any case, I'm just relating my experiences. Namely that rooting the droid 3 was simpler than installing preware. But neither activity is really what I would term "difficult."

More to the point of your original quote, I've been able to change the user interface and operating experience of my android phone substantially more to my liking than I was able to with webOS, even before rooting the phone, just by downloading apps/hacks directly from the android market.

If you want to discuss further the actual differences between hacking the two OSes, thatís fine with me (off topic, but fine with me) and Iíll participate in a real discussion. If you just want to call me names because my direct experiences with both OSes result in observations that are different than yours, donít expect much in return.

Anyway, can we get back to talking about Amazon and how it doesn't make sense for them to buy webOS?

-Suntan
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I'm just responding to what you wrote, which was:

To which I responded that there are a lot more options available, with a lot less hassle than rooting and flashing custom roms. If you were trying to imply something other than you wrote, that's fine. But you need to clarify yourself instead of getting offended and throwing around insults and name calling.

I know you've gotten flack from other people around here for your English. I personally don't have an issue with ESL written comments that are hard to understand, I appreciate comments from people around the world. But at the same time you need to accept that some of the things you write are not easily interpreted so it is best if you tone down the follow-up name calling if/when someone miss-interprets the comments you write.

As for my knowledge of webOS, I owned a pre+ for a year, installed preware and added many patches to it. In the end I installed uberkernal/govnah and overclocked at 1Ghz, etc. etc. I would say I have a fairly solid, though by no means intimate, understanding of what is involved with webOS hacking. At least from a user standpoint.

On the android-side, I would say I have less familiarity with everything available to do in android, but I have investigated far enough to root my phone.

As such, I have what I would say is a fairly solid understanding of the different hacking options available on both phone OSes.

In any case, I'm just relating my experiences. Namely that rooting the droid 3 was simpler than installing preware. But neither activity is really what I would term "difficult."

More to the point of your original quote, I've been able to change the user interface and operating experience of my android phone substantially more to my liking than I was able to with webOS, even before rooting the phone, just by downloading apps/hacks directly from the android market.

If you want to discuss further the actual differences between hacking the two OSes, that’s fine with me (off topic, but fine with me) and I’ll participate in a real discussion. If you just want to call me names because my direct experiences with both OSes result in observations that are different than yours, don’t expect much in return.

Anyway, can we get back to talking about Amazon and how it doesn't make sense for them to buy webOS?

-Suntan
    First, I don't think my English that bad. At previous post at other thread I do lots of miss-types because I'm using TouchPad when I post it. Not using real keyboard. Up till now I can't type fast using virtual keyboard.

Second, If I replied something at previous post not using [Quote], how I can do that If I'm not mention the name or nickname that can be seen on this thread?
    If you said I felt offended, the answer is yes. You need to re-read your post again.

Third, If you meant that hacking on Android isn't always about Rooting and Flash ROM, then maybe I was wrong about it. Because mostly people around me mention hacking on Android is about that. They change rom to another to have better one or change other rom so they can change carrier.

About back to Topic. I would gladly to do that, and I hope other people do the same.
    For me Amazon buy WebOS or not, really doesn't matter for me. I already prepared for the worst. If WebOS bought by Amazon, then so be it. We can just wait and see. Even large community forum like precentral can't do anything big to avoid that to happen.

If HP still hold WebOS tight and have another plan, then we can just wait too. All we can do now is just enjoying our devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, I disagree with you 110%!

In order to back up my android Samsung Epic have have to Root it what ever that is and I still can't get it to work....

Back up apps should work out of the box or better yet Android should be ready for backups out of the box....I love all the choices of apps for my phone...but I don't like android too...

Android is far from user friendly....

take care,

Jay
    You don't have to root to backup. I use the app MyBackupPro.
    ilovedessert likes this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast