Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    in this day and age, patents offer protection. Look at apple vs. Samsung. How apple basically is using patents to kill samsung competition. Or how microsoft is now going after all the android device makers and basically demanding ransom money for each device sold (or face legal action).
    At least in the MS vs Android, I completely disagree. MS is holding its licensing deals for Windows over the heads of device makers -- now they tried their scam against someone who doesn't have licensing deals to be held over their head: Barnes and Noble. If Barnes and Noble wins you will see all the others abandoning their licensing deals unless they signed saying they would pay for x number of years or units.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Tablets are nice and all but I really want is another webOS phone!
    Will we get one from Amazon? We'll get a tablet for sure but phones, unlikely.
    Thus, I don't really care for Amazon as the buyer.
    No WebOS phone. No WebOS tablet. But you may get an Android tablet that operates smoothly because of WebOS. You may see some small hints of WebOS in the UI (no cards). You may see better synergy between the Amazon tablet and Amazon's ecosystem. You will see nothing that's in-your-face that says WebOS.

Amazon wants the Android apps catalog and developers. To have that, the Amazon OS as to be at it's core Android.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    WebOS has very few apps and to get into the game NOW, you need to release a device with tons of apps.

Amazon cannot back away from Android now. They have thousands of Android apps, that will be on millions of Amazon Kindle Fire. Also developers are releasing there Android Apps for the Kindle Fire (Netflx, Hulu+). What is Amazon going to do, tell the owners of the Kindle Fire and the next Kindle tablet (rumor 8.9" by the end of the year) that we are changing the OS and all your apps will not work; tell the ANDROID developers to start developing apps for WebOS? WebOS have a small app catalog compared to Apple, Android, and Windows Phone.

This is not going to happen!
    I think the whole app thing is a little overrated. In the near future people will realize that quality is more important than quantity. If a company were willing to grow webOS slowly, but make sure the quality is there it would achieve success. The other markets are probably growing to much. I think the door will open again. Not saying that webOS will be there and be ready when it does, but it could happen if someone developed it for the long haul.
    jay you are my news source, I don't have much time to read the tech news, it because of you I find out much on webOS. Thanks for all your posts! Hang in there mate! Cheers!
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

RoverNole likes this.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I don't think it is out of the question that Android apps could run natively in an operating system based primarily on WebOS but with some Android functionality. Under the hood they have much in common.
    WebOS has very few apps and to get into the game NOW, you need to release a device with tons of apps.

Amazon cannot back away from Android now. They have thousands of Android apps, that will be on millions of Amazon Kindle Fire. Also developers are releasing there Android Apps for the Kindle Fire (Netflx, Hulu+). What is Amazon going to do, tell the owners of the Kindle Fire and the next Kindle tablet (rumor 8.9" by the end of the year) that we are changing the OS and all your apps will not work; tell the ANDROID developers to start developing apps for WebOS? WebOS have a small app catalog compared to Apple, Android, and Windows Phone.

My big question would be why would Amazon ditch Android and invest in building webos devices? What do they gain from WebOS that they don't have already that is of material value? I think we can agree that nobody is going to buy webos out of altruism. they aren't going to buy it merely because they love the way webos looks. A company will buy it because they think it makes business sense. So i'd wonder what from a business standpoint would Amazon gain that, one makes then more profit then they get now, and two, that they couldn't get cheaper buy merely updating their version of android in a way similar too webos. Amazon currently has a lot of preorders for it's device, and i expect it will sell well. the older kindles did ok too. They have more apps, a store, and the biggest potential market for smartphone apps too. It would strike me like spending money to invest in a product that in several years, maybe, could get you back to where you right now. That said companies are not always run by geniuses, as HP has demonstrated. And Godfather Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    I think the whole app thing is a little overrated. In the near future people will realize that quality is more important than quantity. If a company were willing to grow webOS slowly, but make sure the quality is there it would achieve success.
    Right now, WebOS loses on both quantity and quality. There are not nearly enough quality apps. I'm not talking about coding quality. I mean quality names. Like you need the netflixes, and the google whatevers, and the starbucks etc.

"willing to grow webos slowly"? On that point i'd pose the same question as above. I just wonder why would Amazon want to grow a different OS when Android is already grown up?

Also Amazon buying Webos strikes me as a be careful what you wish for. I doubt they'll make phones at all. Their top of the line device tops out at only 8 Gbs (only 6 usable according to amazon's site), not camera front or rear, no hdmi, and a smaller screen. I don't know all the specc of the touchpad but in many features and options it gives you more then a kindle fire. I'd be scared they'd only offer a nuetered device, or a skinned device that's largely positioned as a amazon content delivery system rather then a full featured tablet. Hell HP bought Palm and the first thing out of their mouths was printers and we didn't buy Palm to be in the phone business and what did they release? Sorry, an mini phone with limited commercial appeal and a tablet basically forgetting about the top of the line smartphone market which is really what originally drew all the early adopters to a Palm Pre in the first place and WebOS in the first place.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/16/2011 at 02:08 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    slbailey1 likes this.

Agreed. Any interest that Amazon might have would be in the patent domain, not in using WebOS per se.
    well, it seems i read or come across jays post more often than those other posts, cause i never see them, so thanx jay
    Unfortunately this is probably the best case scenario for HP and the worst case for us. HP will get some of their money back and webOS will cease to exist. Not that it's in great shape right now but at least there is still software development going on.
    New Amazon Android apps will die quickly. They forked an OS 2 generations old and they can't even use all of that OS because they tried to cut Google out of their microcosm. Kindle Fire is NOT Android, nor will it be able to use any of the new features from Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, or any further release. Amazon Kindle Fire is dead in the water as an Android platform.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    If anybody with a horse in the race right now were to purchase webOS, it'd be to kill the webOS horse. The only other reason Amazon might want to get webOS is to get -into- the phone business.

Pretty unlikely, though, that you'll see any new webOS there. What you -might- see is Amazon's custom Android stuff loaded onto a webOS core, or a combination webOS/Android core.

Frankly, I think that the only way to survive is to remain with HP.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I don't think Amazon would buy something just for the patents.

I think they are looking towards the future. They won't be able to use Android in this manner AND keep up with the competition as Android matures. They need an OS that they can maintain and grow if they intend to stray from the pack and be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Amazon would be in a great position if they bought webOS. One of the biggest pans against the Amazon Fire is Android. webOS gives Amazon a solid OS and gives webOS an ecosystem that is pre-built.
    Oh I agree with both of you and suspect Amazon is willing and ready to move in their own direction with Android or otherwise. Their latest Fire offering is certainly proof of that and they kinda do cards now...but not really for multitasking and need a more webOS polish for regular interaction. Here's to hope and webOS success! Sorli...
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Hummm... I don't trust in Amazon...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    sorli likes this.
    Well,
    Here is something interesting from another Precentral thread, namely, Inventec and other HP suppliers are sitting on unsold inventory of the 7 inch tablet.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Well,
    Here is something interesting from another Precentral thread, namely, Inventec and other HP suppliers are sitting on unsold inventory of the 7 inch tablet.
    Hi, Now that is very interesting...Thanks, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, Now that is very interesting...Thanks, Jay
    I don't think the parts are assembled. The other thread (touchpad go) says the suppliers are negotiating with HP and don't know the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Amazon Kindle Fire is dead in the water as an Android platform.
    "Rolleyes" is right.

Seriously guys. It is expected that there will be more Kindle Fires sold by the Holidays than there has been all webOS devices sold to date.

As SnotBoogie asked, why would switching to webOS be better for Amazon instead of just continuing down the android path that they are already pretty far down? I don’t see the logic (btw, “because I want them to,” is not the right answer.)

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    ...(btw, “because I want them to,” is not the right answer.)

-Suntan
    Well...uh...oh, rats, I had a response until your last phrase.

How about, "It would be the neighborly thing to do?"
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    "Rolleyes" is right.

Seriously guys. It is expected that there will be more Kindle Fires sold by the Holidays than there has been all webOS devices sold to date.

As SnotBoogie asked, why would switching to webOS be better for Amazon instead of just continuing down the android path that they are already pretty far down? I don’t see the logic (btw, “because I want them to,” is not the right answer.)

-Suntan
    To get a complete mobile OS. To have their own ecosystem. There are many reasons.

It is obvious that they don't want to be plugged into Google, by doing everything that they could to not be they have limited their OS. If they want a complete OS they have to finish it themselves. Their forked OS will no longer be compatible with Android in the near future, so any benefits that they have received up till now by getting current Android developers to build apps for their platform will eventually fade away. If they want a true ecosystem to call their own than they have to start from their own OS. All their hard work to close the loop on Google for their Android port will be overcome in the snap of a finger once these things get into the wild.
    Finally, an article on frontpage of precentral about the market survey HP is having distributed via a research firm to Touchpad owners.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast