Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been using my Pre3 for a few months now and there are a few things I was pleasantly surprised by - little touches that just add to the whole WebOS experience but are largely never mentioned.

Here are six (in no particular order):

• Big silver circle on the official USB cables - so you know which way is up. I don't think I ever get USB connectors the right way up first time round normally!
    • Not forgetting the little rubber cable-tidy that comes fixed to the USB cable too - I want these on all cables!
    • Calendar app icon shows the date in the launcher - only just found this out.
    • Keyboard layout - coming from a Treo, then Centro I was happy that the Pre maintains a very similar layout, with a few improvements. I love that the @ symbol is a standard key and doesn't require an extra step. Also full-stops (periods) and commas are used so frequently I'm glad they also have their own keys.
    • Anti-shake function in video app - this is a Pre3 only feature, but one I never hear mentioned. Just smooths out that jitteryness you usually get in smartphone videos.
    • Email - I've noticed that the Email App automatically setup folders for spam (aka 'Bulk Mail') and the others from my online account. I'm not sure Outlook and Thunderbird even do this on my computer!

Any other 'hidden' or rarely mentioned features that people have noticed?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    i like the silent switch on the top. I use it all the time.
    kataran and katefields like this.
    i like the silent switch on the top. I use it all the time.
    I like this also and I'm going to miss is when I switch my broken Pre- out. I go to meetings all the time and it is sad and comical to watch everyone put their phones on silent. I always see at least one person beating on their screen with their index finger several times to do this. I just have to hit a switch.

I will also miss Synergy updating a contact's picture every time that person updates their Facebook page. I will miss the ability to do just about everything on the phone with just my thumb.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Funny how 5 of the 7 "webOS features" in this thread so far have nothing to do with webOS and are hardware/accessory related.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I like this also and I'm going to miss is when I switch my broken Pre- out. I go to meetings all the time and it is sad and comical to watch everyone put their phones on silent. I always see at least one person beating on their screen with their index finger several times to do this. I just have to hit a switch.
    The Pre3 has that switch still....
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Funny how 5 of the 7 "webOS features" in this thread so far have nothing to do with webOS and are hardware/accessory related.
    Well I did think about saying 'Pre features' but then I realised the Pixi and Veer might feature a few of these....
    But good point well made. Thank you your input is appreciated. Did you have any more to add?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    settings right inside the app, and 'general sertings' always accessible in dropdown
    The Pre3 has that switch still....
    Pre3 is too expensive, hard to get, and doesn't work on Sprint...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Pre3 is too expensive, hard to get, and doesn't work on Sprint...
    The AT&T version is selling for about $200 on Ebay. It's about the same as you would pay for a new subsidized smartphone on contract, except without the contract. What I expected to pay before they went and canceled it. The only difficult part was the clueless person at the AT&T store when I went to set it up. (An hour later, all set.)

True about Sprint though. Having the Pre3 is more important to me.
    SunnyPhono and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Did you have any more to add?
    Nope.
    Last edited by Mikey47; 11/13/2011 at 11:31 AM.
    I love having a ringer switch and dedicated keys for the period and comma. I also love everything about webOS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Vistaus likes this.
  12.    #12  
    I also love being able to choose my own 'Shortcuts' in the Text Assist app. Now I can type 2 characters and up comes my email address!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    katefields likes this.
    Homebrew without voiding my warranty/ making HP/Palm sad!
    I love the vertical slider and gesture area. I hate losing screen real estate for a keyboard, same for on screen back buttons and gestures.

but I also love the simplicity and clean, crisp appearance of the OS. Android is hideous by comparison. The UI is so busy and takes so long to customize. iOS never impressed me either, and at this point it feels dated in appearance, imo.
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Vistaus likes this.
    swipe to delete
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Vistaus likes this.
    Just Type has always been under rated, but extremely useful, IMHO. Once I started using it, it's one of those things I've always loved about webOS.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyPhono View Post
    I love the vertical slider and gesture area. I hate losing screen real estate for a keyboard, same for on screen back buttons and gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Just Type has always been under rated, but extremely useful, IMHO. Once I started using it, it's one of those things I've always loved about webOS.
    I totally agree with both of these statements. I use Just Type for updating my status on Facebook/Twitter with Quick Post sooo much.
    I like many of the above features as well
    one not mentioned is the ability to hide a folder by putting a period before its name
    simple, elegant & thoughtful
    webOs is a very user friendly system for smartphones
    long may it prosper
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    [*]Not forgetting the little rubber cable-tidy that comes fixed to the USB cable too - I want these on all cables!
    This wasn't on the cable that came with my Pre 3, but I thought it was nice on my other cables too.

What keeps me with webOS more than anything else is Synergy. I still haven't found anything that ties together all my contact/calendar information and messaging better than webOS, otherwise I might have switched instead of getting a Pre 3.
    The best "feature" of webOS: The community. I've NEVER ran into a problem for which people weren't willing to help.
    netwrkr9 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast