Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Which way would most WebOs lovers go for a new phone

From what i can tell I would prefer Android OS better then IOS but whats up with the hardware. They are all so big and uncomfortable The Pre design is still the best.
    Last edited by rhauer; 11/11/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauer View Post
    Which way would most WebOs lovers go for a new phone

From what i can tell I would prefer Android OS better then IOS but whats up with the hardware. They are all so big and uncomfortable The Pre design is still the best.
    I love my Galaxy Vibrant with Perfect Task Switcher (which mimics webOS task switching). I use a Body Glove case which makes the phone feel very solid and durable.
    Ice Cream Sandwich is showing alot of promise... being the love child of Matias Duarte and all...
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I would have loved MeeGo with the N9. Seems I always put my hope in the wrong systems …
    If people asked me, I prefer iOS. Because If I love to have many softwares, iOS have lots of quality apps that still not available on Android, but off course it is paid, and also don't have any bugging ads in it. IOS limitation somewhat irritates me, but somehow it is pretty damn good, because its limitation caused iOS always works as good as it can. Smooth, fast and lack or freeze of slow down problem.
    You don't need to be afraid it will obsolete fast. Up till now even iPhone 3GS can work at top condition with current app. It already more then 2 years and still updated. This is far differs from Android which the OS much fragmented , lots of device stuck in Froyo, and that device even not pass 1 year old. Some get lucky to have update to gingerbread. Now Ice Cream will come. Froyo will surely looks very old when ice cream comes out.

For me if I choose Android phone main reason because there are many choices and some quite cheap in price (but off course you only got low quality phone or obsoleted device), no other reason beside that. So for now because Pre3 fall cheap in price (except verizon version) I choose to buy Pre3 over anything else. Build quality really good, not feel cheap at all. Back and right left side full coated with rubber, if you hold it, it feel very solid, slider really good, keyboard much better then old pre or any other BB phones that I ever use, Screen 3.6" 800x480 looks very sharp, comparable with iphone4 screen, and 1.4Ghz really fast for webOS 2.x, even slow down still happened but much less then old pre. So no matter it don't get any software update or quality apps. For a smartphone it can do all I need and it price only around $200 for AT&T. For a second phone it still worth its price.
    Last edited by The Bard; 11/12/2011 at 01:03 AM.
    I went Android for a few reasons:

1. I already have history with it, through my wife's HTC EVO 4G and the Viewsonic G-Tablet I modified to hell and back before I got my Touchpad.

2. I really like the ability to hack around the products I use as a developer and general modification enthusiast, which is where Android excels in the absence of an ongoing webOS line of products. My Photon 4G and CM7-loaded Touchpad, along with the modding community, keep me pretty excited and enable me to do things on my terms rather than Apple's strongly enforced way of doing things in their walled garden.

3. I've used iOS extensively as well, and it's just boring to me. Yes, it has the largest App Store of all mobile platforms, but it bores the hell out of me. See #2 for more on that.

4. ICS has me even more excited. I mean, it's the direct progeny of the mind of the guy who came up with the design and user experience for webOS. And if I still don't like it, I can tweak it with a new launcher, a new theme, etc.

So, that's my $0.02.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I got myself a Pre3. In a year I'll reassess, but right now nothing looks good but WebOS.
    laingman likes this.
    I switched to WP7. It's smooth, the apps don't crash and burn like Android's, and its very clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I switched to WP7. It's smooth, the apps don't crash and burn like Android's, and its very clean.
    After using Windows Mobile 6 I was not inclined to try 7. I might be willing to give 8 a go when it comes out though.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

That's what I've been thinking about lately. I was going to upgrade to one of the second generation Windows Phones, but I got a Pre3 4G instead. If there's nothing new on the webOS front next November, then I'm going to Windows Phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I echo the same sentiments as others... I am a long-time Mac user and still am, but I have never had any interest in iOS because it was built toward a dumb-user mentality and Apple's my-way-or-the-highway tactics are the worst. It's successful because it caters to the lowest common denominator in the typical Apple polished way. I will give them credit for that. But innovative it's not. It sucks, too, now that they are trying to make the MacOS more like iDK and ruining it in the process. Lion is the biggest turd of a Mac OS "upgrade" that I've seen. I hate hate hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Ice Cream Sandwich is showing alot of promise... being the love child of Matias Duarte and all...
    I agree. I might give the Galaxy Nexus and ICS a chance. If I don't like it I'll give it to my wife and keep using my Pre +.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I went with Android but it just felt to disjointed for my liking- just seemed like windows mobile all over again. Decided to secure a Pre 2 and convert it to a FrankenPre to hold me over in the hopes that Mathias can work his magic with Android like he did in creating the UI for webOS -- that's really my only hope unless someone picks up webOS to make phones for it.

I am getting more and more tempted to try iOS for my full time phone but I seriously hate itunes, the restrictive nature of the platform and that being able to truly multitask on the phone like webOS does is probably my top priority for what I want out of a mobile OS.

Pre2 is really a great phone and it zips along and never has lag issues for me. Now, there is some wonkiness and some hiccups but I expected that when trying to patch together a working doctor so it will work on Sprint. It can be frustrating but I can see sans the FrankenPre doctoring business, the Pre 2 with webOS 2.1 is butter.

Hopefully it will get me by for at least 6 months until ICS can further be improved and there is some semblance of proper UI layout.
    Galaxy nexus prime, google maps, email and calendar are becoming too important to me, and it looks like android got the best maps, best gmail and best gmail calendar.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I got myself a Pre3. In a year I'll reassess, but right now nothing looks good but WebOS.
    Same here, love my Pre 3, an awesome phone, perfect size and also I like how it syncs with my TouchPad for calls and texting.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    WP7 is very smooth and is a much better experience than Android or iOS - IMO. App wise, it is weak - but it has tremendous app capability.

Android is so dis-juncted - I can't stand it!
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    I couldn't stand wp7 when I played with it in the store over several visits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    After using Windows Mobile 6 I was not inclined to try 7. I might be willing to give 8 a go when it comes out though.
    Windows Phone 7 is completely different and has nothing to do with Windows Mobile 6.

Nothing. at. all.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    I hear a lot of people say this, but truth is there is absolutely no comparison between the two. WP7 is a completely new animal, rebuilt from the ground up. WinMo and Windows Phone are as different as night and day. I found Phone 7.0 to be a bit rough around the edges, but after my Focus received the Mango 7.5 update it was like a whole new phone. Very quick and smooth, no lock ups, no crashes so far. And the integration with Windows desktop and XBox is only going to get better and better. Right now I'm very happy with it.
    I couldn't get over the way wp7 has words trailing off the side of the screen *on purpose*.

Also, fwiw, you don't have to have a messed up disjointed mash of widgets on your android phone if you don't want to.

-Suntan
    brendu likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast