1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

take care,

Jay

How Meg Whitman Can Save WebOS
    By Edward F. Moltzen, CRN November 10, 2011

http://www.crn.com/blogs-op-ed/the-c...K4Q**.ecappj01

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman says that she and her team will need another few weeks to figure out what to do with the WebOS property it bought from Palm, after the company has pulled the plug on the TouchPad devices that used it.
    WebOS is elegant software, it offers nice differentiation from mobile platform competitors Android and iOS, and it works. But with Microsoft now about to launch versions of Windows 8 for tablets and smartphones and act very aggressively along the way Whitman must decide whether HP is in a strong enough position to fight a bloody battle for a fraction of market share in the mobile operating system space.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    That article doesn't make any sense. In essence they say, don't worry about the OS or the hardware. Build it into printers. Then because it's so easy to print from WebOS devices, it will blow away the competition.

But first of all, if there are no devices the ease of printing from them is moot.

Second of all, I just don't think printing is a high value application anymore. Increasingly we read texts on screen, on tablets, on ereaders. I think this is a shrinking niche, not something powerful enough to leverage from.
  3. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Who prints that much anymore anyway?? I could care less, I hardly ever print anything! When I need to I just connect the printer. To me its kinda like what a fax machine was, just don't use them that much.
    Investing in an outdated hardware platform (printing) will get you nowhere.

Some people cant even see two steps infront of them, let alone what is coming on the horizon.
    Printing will be a monstrous industry as long as there is still government and people who have to interface with it, most likely. Ever see the mythical "paperless office"? I haven't.

But, truly, the only way to make this work is to get some real people with some real plans (assuming that there aren't any real people with real plans left, who knows?), sink another several hundred million, and dedicate a few years to it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Printing is under pressure from ubiquitous screens and other factors like 'green'. But it is a long way from "dead". (as he looks around his paper cluttered desk)

~~~
    I bet gas powered cars will extinct sooner than printing, and I admit those professional office printers does need some faster boot times and better touch interface. But, I assume HP haven't got printers on their mind while investing $1.2 billion in webOS.
    most important question is... is there still active development happening on Webos... time is running out, and time doesn't stand still in this world!
    I wish she could, but even if she has all of the moxie in the world, she would have no backing. I don't think there is a board of directors in this country with the guts it would take to save webOS.

It will take either:

1) a company run by a visionary 'dictator' who is not afraid to roll the dice (or beholden to quarterly results) or...

2) a company so desperate to become a mobile presence that they would throw everything into succeeding and who have a reason to avoid Google or Microsoft.

HP is neither of those.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Get someone like samsung or lg to build the hardware for the phones and you will get people back. The hardware was always the downfall of webos, improve that and it will help somewhat in gaining customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    I wish she could, but even if she has all of the moxie in the world, she would have no backing. I don't think there is a board of directors in this country with the guts it would take to save webOS.

It will take either:

1) a company run by a visionary 'dictator' who is not afraid to roll the dice (or beholden to quarterly results) or...

2) a company so desperate to become a mobile presence that they would throw everything into succeeding and who have a reason to avoid Google or Microsoft.

HP is neither of those.

C
    After HP took a huge loss on Palm/WebOS, unfortunately I have to agree that no board would back throwing good money after bad.

I also wish I knew how much investment is happening in WebOS today. (rosscullen's question above)

~~~
    Microsoft lost billions in Xbox over a decade ago...

The making of the Xbox: Microsoft’s journey to the next generation (part 2) | VentureBeat

This isn't a sprint... It's a marathon right?!

But I don't think meg has the balls or direction for a turn around. At this point, you really have to have someone with a solid direction and put a great effort into it. Hp has their $12 billion acquisition to put all their focus on. A half hearted effort on Webos won't help... You'll just see webos on laser jets.

Sell it to Hurd. Maybe Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by All4fun View Post
    After HP took a huge loss on Palm/WebOS, unfortunately I have to agree that no board would back throwing good money after bad.

I also wish I knew how much investment is happening in WebOS today. (rosscullen's question above)

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by All4fun View Post

~~~
    They would have to be happy with a modest amount of success - aim for '#1 plus", but realize that any early success would be modest. And that is just not the way the market works any more. It's a short leash for a product if it's not a 'blockbuster'. Only foreign companies seem to be willing to lay in the weeds as a small player until they can improve their game.

Kind of a shame, by bailing out after 2 months, they have tossed away the foundation for growth. Now they would have to rebuilds relations with developers, supply chain partners, mobile service providers, etc. They would have to be able to attract engineers, execs, and other support people. With the job market the way it is, they may have some success, but I suspect the top tier people are all busy elsewhere.

Don't see them spending that money now, especially after the Autonomy purchase. The only hope is HP finding someone who is wants to be in the mobile market IF (and only if) the 'good' folks at HP are not so greedy as to scare them off.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I've been a faithful webOS'er since 2009;unfortunately for us,webOS as we know it will be gone soon. Meg isn't going to save webOS,except maybe on printers. I've stopped believing in the webOS dream. It's time for all of us to give a:

A farewell salute to webOS
    palmdoc#AC likes this.
    Another gloomy outlook from Apple Insider. But I don't know if the HP "source" knows anything and AppleInsider may be publishing it to get readers:

AppleInsider | HP's Chairman using MacBook Air, may detail webOS plans next week

"Future of webOS

Meanwhile, a source within HP has noted to AppleInsider that the company is rumored to finally make a definitive comment on the future of webOS either on November 28 or December 1, although, the source notes, "I don't think anyone expects anything good."""
    If I'm not mistaken, according to Apple Insider, the entire divison would've been shuttered by now, and prior to that, the entire operation had already been sold. Or something along those lines.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    But I don't think meg has the balls
    Now there's a safe bet.

I think HP has wounded WebOS to the point of putting it on life support. That said, I'm still hopeful there is a future for it. (but hope is not a good strategy)

Several people have mentioned WebOS on printers. I know HP was saying they were going to build WebOS into printers a while ago, but I have not heard it recently. Has there been something recently announced that I missed?

~~~
    ilovedessert likes this.