1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI...see link.

Take care,

Jay

What should Meg Whitman do with webOS?
    By Ed Oswald

What should Meg Whitman do with webOS?
    Personally I would love to see it licensed to every hardware vendor on the planet (except apple of course). This would allow it to compete directly with Android. If Samsung, HTC, and Motorola all made just 1 device with webOS, I think it would really get enough people to see what it can do, attract more app developers, and could eventually turn the tide against Android.

I really think HP is too late to market to be the sole hardware/OS provider of webOS. They are going to need the help of partners.
  3.    #3  
    Hi all,

A few friends and I were discussing this earlier today. We came up with the following list:

1. We all feel that HP should keep webOS and hire HTC and/or Samsung... etc....to design and make the hardware...while HP works on webOS....it should be sold under the joint name of HTC webOS or Samsung/HP webOS or something like that...

2. HP should do the two things it had promised to do:

2a. Port a ton of apps to webOS....HP has leg up in this area since a number of 'Droid apps have already been ported to webOS using almost ZERO $ and in a very short period of time. It was not as costly as predicted and was done is a short period of time...

Think how many apps HP could have ported with the money they wasted during the fire sale...they could have put money into app porting which could have stimulated sales.

2b. Put webOS on all computers and printers that HP will make...

3. Run decent commercials. While these last commercials were better than the weird Pre lady....as soon as the reviews said it's slightly heavier and slightly thicker than the iPad...they should have run additional commercials saying we're slightly thicker and heavier b/c we have touch to share and wireless charging. The should be proactive with ads and answer the reviewers back...

4. HP should cut a deal with Amazon for content and that would also give them access to a huge pipeline.

5. HP should be patient and be willing to lose in the short run to make a great deal of $ in the long run...even if it means selling at cost or below in order to make money down the road on content and when the app pile is large enough they will sell far better than they did the first time out...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    May as well recycle this post...
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Right on. Everyone needs a phone, not everyone needs/wants a tablet. I have a Touchpad and a Pre Plus. I would trade them both for a Touchstone Galaxy Nexus running webOS in a heart beat!

Phones still rule the mobile space as far as users are concerned, but I do understand that the market is more or less saturated right now. If I were HP, I would keep webOS and think long term. Take it slow, come back with a TP2 that will sell and licence or open source webOS to a phone manufacture to help build a user base and dev support.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    2a. Port a ton of apps to webOS....HP has leg up in this area since a number of 'Droid apps have already been ported to webOS using almost ZERO $ and in a very short period of time. It was not as costly as predicted and was done is a short period of time.
    Please cite some apps and supporting articles for this; I'm interested to know which ones you're talking about. As a developer, depending on the app I just don't see an Android SDK-based app (Java) being ported to webOS' PDK (C/C++) for almost no cost and little time. Yes, Android also has an NDK available, but it's usually used for game ports.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/09/2011 at 10:10 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Please cite some apps and supporting articles for this; I'm interested to know which ones you're talking about. As a developer, depending on the app I just don't see an Android SDK-based app (Java) being ported to webOS' PDK (C/C++) for almost no cost and little time. Yes, Android also has an NDK available, but it's usually used for game ports.
    Hi,

I posted approx 1/2 dozen articles in the past 3 weeks of Android apps being ported by two different groups to work on the TouchPad...they only started when the fire sale started.

About 3 weeks ago, they had ported approx 12 games and have ported other apps since then...please search for the articles...

Thank you I didn't know that iOS apps would be easier to port...then why the hell did Leo not follow thru??? After all he's one of the people who repeatedly said .."we will supply manpower & $ to port apps to get the app totals high enough" & "we'll double down on apps"....

Ironically that bumbling fool may have made webOS into a hit...although it cost HP a fortune...

One other point to add to me list...

I forgot to mention the fact that it would have been far cheaper for HP to pay for hundreds if not thousands of apps to be ported to webOS than it did since HP stock has been so battered of late. The stock tanking has hampered HP in many ways...with the stock taking a dive...the employees 401k or other types of pensions lost a fortune...as did HP it self...since they must hold a vast number of shares...plus the value of HP is far less that hampers it's ability to borrow money at very favorable rates, negotiate favorable agreements with suppliers and vendors and lowers the value of the name HP. Plus it scared off future investors and customers...IE: I couldn't buy a Pre3 nor could almost anyone else....people may think twice before buying an HP product after all just a few days ago, they were going to set the PC div adrift...

Not to mention that Leo's ******* stunt has triggered at least 3 class action lawsuits from stockholders...there's court costs, settlement negotiations, filing fees, teams of lawyers to pay....and these kinds of suits run on for years and years...Meg may be long retired by the time the settle all of them...plus I wouldn't be surprised of the trustees of HP's pension plan which must have humongous holdings in HP stock will sue because Leo and the board lied to the SEC & the stockholders...thus costing the pension plans hundreds of millions of $ in value!

Take care,

Jay

PS Please either search this site over the issue of ported Android apps for webOS on the TouchPad or use Yahoo or Google the articles have been all over the web in the past few weeks...
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Dear vanadium & all,

It's late and am very tired so I did only a very quick & limited search.

But here is one of the articles I posted approx 3 1/2 weeks ago on this site about Android apps ported to webOS on the TouchPad.

11 Android games on the HP Touchpad – video - Liliputing

They only started the porting when the fire sale started...so it took almost no time and very little money...so what Leo's excuse other than he wasn't qualified for the job and was in way over his head!

There have been other apps ported since then...as I said before search on this site as well as use Yahoo and/or Google.

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Personally I would love to see it licensed to every hardware vendor on the planet (except apple of course). This would allow it to compete directly with Android. If Samsung, HTC, and Motorola all made just 1 device with webOS, I think it would really get enough people to see what it can do, attract more app developers, and could eventually turn the tide against Android.

I really think HP is too late to market to be the sole hardware/OS provider of webOS. They are going to need the help of partners.
    The only problem I see with that is that, eventually, the OEMs will want to start differentiating what they offer. This could lead to great differences in hardware and software, like what we see in Android right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pecuevasb View Post
    The only problem I see with that is that, eventually, the OEMs will want to start differentiating what they offer. This could lead to great differences in hardware and software, like what we see in Android right now.
    If HP doesn't then they will not win the mobile OS wars, it will become an Android world. Throughout our history anytime there was a battle like this, it was not the company with the best product, or the cheapest product that won, but the one that was most universal, offered the most choices, with the best advertising. Examples: PC vs Mac, VHS vs BetaMax, BluRay vs HD-DVD, etc. I really don't want Android to win. Not because I hate the platform, I actually like it, but because I don't like Google's constant acts of invasion of privacy, with the constant logging of everything that everybody does. I don't think HP is anywhere near as invasive, since they are not an advertising company.
    Last edited by Maverickz; 11/10/2011 at 11:57 AM.
    geewhiz likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pecuevasb View Post
    Hi,

I agree with you...but they could lay down very firm ground rules to avoid all the pit falls that Google/Android made...

However HP has made such a mess of all of this that who knows...

Take care all,

Jay
    This guy from CRN thinks it should be in the printer division--a printpad.
    (silent prayer: please lets not have 5 precentral threads about this)

http://www.crn.com/blogs-op-ed/the-c...save-webos.htm
    Dear vanadium & all,

But here is one of the articles I posted approx 3 1/2 weeks ago on this site about Android apps ported to webOS on the TouchPad.

11 Android games on the HP Touchpad video - Liliputing

They only started the porting when the fire sale started...so it took almost no time and very little money...so what Leo's excuse other than he wasn't qualified for the job and was in way over his head!

There have been other apps ported since then...as I said before search on this site as well as use Yahoo and/or Google.

Take care,

Jay
    Uh, did you even read the article? Those are Android games running natively on Android on the TouchPad. There's no porting going on...webOS isn't even in the equation.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    As a consumer of electronics devices, I'd like to see them optimize it as it is, and release it on fresh, competitive tablets and phones. Also, it would need to have a way to install and successfully run android based app ipks similar to how RIM is trying.

As a likely stockholder (I'm sure one of my mutual funds owns some hp) I think Meg should probably leave the patents they acquired from the Palm deal tucked safely away in the hp legal cabinet, cut their loses by scraping everything else obtained and mandate that no hp employee ever speak the term webOS in the corporate cafeteria again.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Uh, did you even read the article? Those are Android games running natively on Android on the TouchPad. There's no porting going on...webOS isn't even in the equation.
    Appears he did not. they are clearly running on Android on that touchpad.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Dear vanadium & all,

11 Android games on the HP Touchpad video - Liliputing

Take care,

Jay
    FAIL!!!

Sorry but loading CM7 on a Touchpad and then running Android apps is not even in the same universe as porting an application.

Here's a question for you. Let's assume that you can port an application to webOS for "almost ZERO $, and little time" - how bad must developers think the platform is, or how little future it has, not to invest almost ZERO dollars?
    I hate to be the pessimist here, but I don't see how hp can repair the damage that Leo has done. Even if the touchpad was a failure, it was clear that the weak hardware, uncompetitive price, and lack of apps were very much to blame. Instead of killing hardware all together, they should have bundled remaining touchpads with other HP products, this would have solved the installed base problem and kept developers coming to the platform. The hardware issues could have been fixed with the next go around.

Stopping hardware altogether, set hp back further in a race they were already behind in. The only way in my eyes they could get webOS to compete with the competition on both a software and hardware level is to open source it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    The only way in my eyes they could get webOS to compete with the competition on both a software and hardware level is to open source it.
    How do you figure Open Source would cause it to become competitive on the hardware level? Do you see a scenario where another big company picks up the open source, then spends *heavily* to modernize it and release hardware for it?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    How do you figure Open Source would cause it to become competitive on the hardware level? Do you see a scenario where another big company picks up the open source, then spends *heavily* to modernize it and release hardware for it?

-Suntan
    Yeah, in order to get it picked up by other hardware manufacturers, HP needs to own it, keep it updated, and license it out at an attractive price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Yeah, in order to get it picked up by other hardware manufacturers, HP needs to own it, keep it updated, and license it out at an attractive price point.
    Before they even think about license it out, HP has to rebuilt their commitment to webOS. This will be the hardest thing to do. They prematurely dumped webOS less than 2 months into TouchPad on the market. And put all webOS devices on firesale. There's no company out there will license it out from HP, knowing their history. I believe licensing out is out of question, there's not enough time for HP to rebuilt the damaged image. Time is running out really fast and mobile world is revolving even faster. HP has to sell webOS, and sell it RIGHT NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Before they even think about license it out, HP has to rebuilt their commitment to webOS. This will be the hardest thing to do. They prematurely dumped webOS less than 2 months into TouchPad on the market. And put all webOS devices on firesale. There's no company out there will license it out from HP, knowing their history. I believe licensing out is out of question, there's not enough time for HP to rebuilt the damaged image. Time is running out really fast and mobile world is revolving even faster. HP has to sell webOS, and sell it RIGHT NOW.
    Exactly right. Which manufacturer in their right mind would **PAY** to build hardware for an OS that HP already proved that they themselves couldn't make it work for a profit. If HP really wanted to sell/license webOS then they would have done so BEFORE they dumped their hardware. How could any serious manufacturer decide that they want to pick up manufacturing webOS devices and pay for the OS license on a platform that has had a worldwide maximum of 4.2 million users (and that is ALL users over the lifetime of webOS, not CURRENT users -- current users is some, probably relatively small, percentage of that).
    geewhiz likes this.