Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Steve’s Last Laugh: Adobe Killing Off Flash For Mobile Devices | TechCrunch

Adobe is killing all mobile flash development.
    Discuss...
    About time.
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Biggest problem I foresee is the lack of DRM on HTML5 video. That could be a big problem for webOS where companies are unlikely to provide custom apps to view their content.
    It's not really Steve's last laugh, this was always going to happen at some point. The bulk of the argument was never that Flash was wonderful and should stick around forever, it was that while it's so prevalent our mobile devices should support it.

Killing off mobile Flash development is of course slightly different to killing off mobile Flash. It'll disappear eventually, years from now, but this lays down the marker and starts the clock ticking.

Spyke
    hagster likes this.
    about time and hopefully we will get some html5 vids all over the net. So that my touchpad and last longer on battery life.
  6.    #6  
    I just built a whole gaming site based on mobile flash. So I think it sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    I just built a whole gaming site based on mobile flash. So I think it sucks.
    You skate to where the puck is going, my friend, not to where it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    about time and hopefully we will get some html5 vids all over the net. So that my touchpad and last longer on battery life.
    few sites/people have prooved that flash vs html5 argument is rather moot anyways, in some areas flash was better and other areas html5 was better, both in their respective "bad" performance areas both hogged just as much cpu/resources as the other.

i dont see whats so good about dumping flash and adopting yet another apple product/system that can perform just as bad as flash just in different areas/places, esp when most apple products involve installing their useless garbage bloatware.
    Um, HTML5 isn't an "Apple product/system." HTML5 is a good thing to adopt because it's an open standard that runs reasonably well across every modern platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Um, HTML5 isn't an "Apple product/system." HTML5 is a good thing to adopt because it's an open standard that runs reasonably well across every modern platform.
    if its got their backing/support then its already corrupt, same thing nearly happened when microsuck tried to "reinvent/alter" html to suit their own browser.
    I don't think you understand how standards bodies work.
    dignitary and ohiomoto like this.
    Meh. If I go to a website, can I see what's on there?

That's what I care about. Not what is running it.

-Suntan
    jblather likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Meh. If I go to a website, can I see what's on there?

That's what I care about. Not what is running it.

-Suntan
    I do agree with this but I think there are good reasons to care about what's running it. If viewing your content impacts my phone's performance, battery life, and is presented in a finger-hostile manner, then I don't want to see your stuff.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It affects the Android platform more than RIM --- because Adobe does the porting of the Flash player to Android. Now that Adobe stop doing the porting, then the Android platform isn't going to see new versions of Flash.

Adobe continues to develop the desktop version of the Flash player and QNX continues to be a source code licensee. Since QNX already does the porting of the Flash player to the QNX platform themselves --- there is no change to the current working order.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2011/11/...-and-tomorrow/
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    few sites/people have prooved that flash vs html5 argument is rather moot anyways, in some areas flash was better and other areas html5 was better, both in their respective "bad" performance areas both hogged just as much cpu/resources as the other.

i dont see whats so good about dumping flash and adopting yet another apple product/system that can perform just as bad as flash just in different areas/places, esp when most apple products involve installing their useless garbage bloatware.
    lol wat? Apple doesn't own html! I'm guessing you never heard of a standard format that works and not a 15 years old format.
    dignitary and ohiomoto like this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ... and Microsoft is following with Silverlight: Microsoft prepares to kill off Silverlight
    Pre≥ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    It can only be the same or worse. HTML5 is no less resource hungry than Flash. The thing is that HTML5 stuff today is so light and mobile browsers can handle it with (almost) an ease. Once HTML5 gets rich content to pair Flash mobile devices will kill the CPU, of course if they can even support rich HTML5 features because that will be the direct competition to their app stores.
    Plenty of HTML5-based webOS apps already use a lot of those rich HTML5 features you're saying will bog the CPU down. Mobile is far, far ahead of the desktop in terms of HTML5 adoption. Canvas and CSS3 transitions, reflections, and animations will be GPU-accelerated in the future along with general DOM manipulation and other areas, offloading a lot of the work directly to the video card and taking a lot of the load off the CPU.

Now, webGL, that'll bog down a machine in its current state. But even that'll get better.
    Such a negative spin on this it's sickening.

They are no longer developing the FLASH PLUGIN for mobile browsers. Big deal, it's not much use anyways. They are doing so to focus on AIR for mobile, which is basically full screen GPU accelerated flash. It's fast as all hell on iOS and Android, really really cool. Top game in the app store on iOS (Machinarium) is build all in flash.

Comparing HTML to Flash is like comparing a smartphone to a Playstation 3. HTML is fragmented, half-implemented, standard. Flash and HTML complement each other pretty well on the desktop. Even sites like Google Music, Pandora, and Grooveshark still use flash to play media as html 5 can't do it well.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Such a negative spin on this it's sickening.

They are no longer developing the FLASH PLUGIN for mobile browsers. Big deal, it's not much use anyways. They are doing so to focus on AIR for mobile, which is basically full screen GPU accelerated flash. It's fast as all hell on iOS and Android, really really cool. Top game in the app store on iOS (Machinarium) is build all in flash.

Comparing HTML to Flash is like comparing a smartphone to a Playstation 3. HTML is fragmented, half-implemented, standard. Flash and HTML complement each other pretty well on the desktop. Even sites like Google Music, Pandora, and Grooveshark still use flash to play media as html 5 can't do it well.
    Machinarium runs on the Touchpad as is.

Pretty sure Pandora has redone their site to be HTML5, not Flash. I don't know the others.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast