1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

Take care,

Jay

webOS: 4.2 million users and no longer counting
    By Joseph Parish on November 7, 2011 04:11 pm

webOS: 4.2 million users and no longer counting | The Verge

The famed webOS Internals group has created a historical adoption graph for webOS using registration data collected from users. According to their findings, roughly 4.2 million webOS profiles have been registered, with a significant uptick around the time of the TouchPad firesale.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp likes this.
    Hey! I want to add myself to that database! In fact, I though webOS internals had some functionality to do it automatically. I can't see where to add myself in that Google doc, the link doesn't work for me.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I'm not sure "no longer counting" is true, I don't think all the Touchpads have actually come on line yet.

For that matter, likewise for the Pre3's... although there are less of those floating around.
    but you're also not taking into account the 10s or 100s of thousands of people that have left webos and their phones have fallen apart, thrown away or just unused. it's like pandora saying they have a gazillion accounts... but who still uses it currently?

i mean how many sprint pres are really active now? i imagine most have gone android starting when hero came out and now more recently iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I'm not sure "no longer counting" is true, I don't think all the Touchpads have actually come on line yet.

For that matter, likewise for the Pre3's... although there are less of those floating around.
    This just represents the high water mark. So, since the beginning of time (for webOS) 4.2M devices have been registered. This in no way represents actual user base size.

This will be a significant detractor for any possible sale of webOS.
    I imagine any buyer of webOS can get more detailed info straight from Palm/HP and aren't gonna be persuaded or dissuaded by some internet article.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    but you're also not taking into account the 10s or 100s of thousands of people that have left webos and their phones have fallen apart, thrown away or just unused. it's like pandora saying they have a gazillion accounts... but who still uses it currently?

i mean how many sprint pres are really active now? i imagine most have gone android starting when hero came out and now more recently iphone.
    Yeah most of the people with a pre on sprint have moved on. The hero is garbage. My sprint Pre is still active.. I wasn't going to go android, so I did the frankenpre2 swap. After I'm left with no more options for a webos phone I'll most likely go wp7.
    Quote Originally Posted by safeguard3 View Post
    This is the kind of chart that can't go down since it simply is additive of the new activations. If you did the same for analysis Palm OS then you would see a steady rise and then leveling off about 2009 and maintaining that level until the present day. It would never go down.
    I'm sorry but that is how they do any other platform. They look at new activations and do not minus who left.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I'm sorry but that is how they do any other platform. They look at new activations and do not minus who left.
    I agree --- these stats are all garbage --- that's why RIM has decided to stop announcing their blackberry subscriber net adds because RIM is the ONLY company that gives out NET numbers.
    I still have a Sprint Pre-, as do my wife and one daughter. It still works excellently - no point in giving it up!

(But if a Pre 3 were to come along...)
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    Actually they do:

12.    #12  
    hi all,

My Dad was an engineer and was used to working with figures and numbers all day long...(he was also brilliant astute and I do miss him so), he always said ..."you can lie with statistics"....how true they do it all the time in politics and businesses!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    True enough, Jay - "lies, damn lies and statistics." And CGK, that's an interesting graph, but I notice that it's got webOS at zero from the time that HP dropped its bombshell - if that's true, then where do all of US fit on that chart??

Katie
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Actually they do:
    Actually they don't.

It is a chart created by Asymco, who got their numbers from ESTIMATES by wall street analysts --- who in turn got their numbers from ESTIMATES by trying to figure out shipping numbers and sell through numbers --- AND then combined their ESTIMATES with OTHER ESTIMATES by OTHER companies from numbers derived from mobile advertising.
  15.    #15  
    Hi all,

Clearly we have a lot more webOS users due to the fire sale situation...so that's a good thing......now we wait to see what Meg is going to do...

Take care,

Jay