Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP in discussions to possibly sell webOS platform

According to Reuters, Bank of America is advising HP to sell WebOS. This sounds absurd but if anyone were to buy it I feel Facebook should since it would give it some much needed publicity.
    But to be honest, I don't know if WebOS can handle another change of hands. It couldnt survive HP, which is one of the biggest tech companies in the country. However, HP isn't a very sociable "hip" company and to be fair the decisions behind WebOS were made by old geezers.

Who do you think should buy WebOS?
    Last edited by ursula; 11/07/2011 at 05:58 PM.
    This has been discussed a lot already - anyway personally I think best case would be amazon buying webOS. They have the infrastructure, the publicity and even a little experience in hardware. At this point I don't even care for new devices, first priority (IMO) is updating and optimizing what we have, 3.x and 2.x. Get rid of the bugs, optimize scrolling, lagging, etc. develop Enyo further and more Synergy accounts and I'm a happy camper

Edit: I forgot - amazon also has content distribution like no other. But it's highly unlikely anyway since they already invested heavily in Android.
    Last edited by johnnygewitter; 11/07/2011 at 06:12 PM.
    ursula and fmarcanojr like this.
    The only way I'd be satisfied with someone buying webOS is if they commit to keeping the platform (the way we know & use it now) alive in the tablet/phone market. Since I don't see that happening, I really don't care who buys webOS.

Mostly everyone is probably just interested in the patents, and if that's the case, I say let Oracle buy webOS. That way at least Mark Hurd will get to carry out whatever vision he had for webOS when he was working at HP.
    Stevesrjr86 likes this.
    If it's the only way for me to have a brand new webOS device next year, then so be it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    joen05 likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    If Tony the Tiger bought webOS simply to hustle frosted flakes, we'd be better off than we are today...
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    ohiomoto, SmartFah and jbouf1 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    HP in discussions to possibly sell webOS platform

According to Reuters, Bank of America is advising HP to sell WebOS. This sounds absurd but if anyone were to buy it I feel Facebook should since it would give it some much needed publicity.
    But to be honest, I don't know if WebOS can handle another change of hands. It couldnt survive HP, which is one of the biggest tech companies in the country. However, HP isn't a very sociable "hip" company and to be fair the decisions behind WebOS were made by old geezers.

Who do you think should buy WebOS?
    Not sure what the source of this rumor is but when I click your link I get:

"Oops, it looks like we've either misplaced the page you want, or haven't created it yet.

Perhaps you're interested in one of the following alternatives?"
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Not sure what the source of this rumor is but when I click your link I get:

"Oops, it looks like we've either misplaced the page you want, or haven't created it yet.

Perhaps you're interested in one of the following alternatives?"
    It's on the precentral front page

http://www.precentral.net/reuters-hp...llions-dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    If Tony the Tiger bought webOS simply to hustle frosted flakes, we'd be better off than we are today...
    Last edited by Smartfah; 11/07/2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbodner View Post
    Hmm that kind of sucks. At this point I'd be happy if Goggle bought it and incorporated the interface on top of Android. Oracle though? No thanks.
    Hi all,

The ONLY way this works is that someone has to pump lots of $ into the platform by getting enough apps to make people interested in webOS....but if you go this article...it shows there are now approx 4 million webOS users...that's pretty good for a dead platform....

webOS: 4.2 million users and no longer counting | The Verge

If webOS does go up for sale and it's a firm serious to pump $ into webOS as a platform...and the app counts move up....& if the come to Sprint, I sell my Epic and go to webOS...look either way we should know in a few weeks....if they don't go to Sprint and the rest of what I want come to fruition Ill change at the end of my contract...

I choose to believe this is a good thing!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Reuters article has been amended to include a quote from Whitman among other things, see here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...w-bidders.html
    I offer 57p and a bag of chips (proper chips, not fries). :P

Perhaps Meg will stick it on eBay and see if any offers arrive...
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    and I hereby swear that if they decide to step back into the market, I'll buy the device .. unless it's some kind of cheap laptop with a castrated version of webOS as an instant-on OS.
    who ever buys webos is only doing it for the patents. i doubt any new development will come.
    I'm hoping the Google buys Webos and all of Palm's patents.
    I wouldn't do anything Bank of America told me to do.
    I think they're definitely either getting rid of webOS or just shutting it down. I've been check the HP website for a while now to see if they'll ever get any new Veers in stock, and then today I went to check again and the Veers are no longer available. Their phones link takes you to a Radio Shack website. The only things left relating to webOS are Veer and Touchpad accessories, and those will probably be gone by the end of today as well. It looks to me like HP is finally wrapping up purging any sign of webOS from their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    I wouldn't do anything Bank of America told me to do.
    Well maybe HP can learn something about reversing course since BoA did just that with that $5 debit fee.
  19.    #19  
    Besides, if they sell WebOS it will be another year or two of waiting around for devices. Also, everyone keeps saying "open source it, open source it!" but what good will that do when nobody has the money, time, or energy to keep things like servers running. HP wouldn't open source it and just pay for WebOS users to use them. People don't think ahead. After a year or two you can't keep using the same device. You NEED new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Besides, if they sell WebOS it will be another year or two of waiting around for devices. Also, everyone keeps saying "open source it, open source it!" but what good will that do when nobody has the money, time, or energy to keep things like servers running. HP wouldn't open source it and just pay for WebOS users to use them. People don't think ahead. After a year or two you can't keep using the same device. You NEED new hardware.
    Hi all,

No matter what happens it will be quite a while until there is hardware and a sizable app count...(that's if there will be any NEW hardware at all), that's why I went with Android FOR NOW...I didn't want to go with Android, but my phone was over 3 years old Palm/HP was no longer supporting PalmOS in fact they sent me 5 different links for WIN 7 support for PalmOS non of them works. In addition and a great deal of the apps for PalmOS no longer have support or have very little support that's equal to no support for my poor old Centro....

What pushed me over the edge is that my laptop which is Win 98 is having major problems...it's the only thing I can sync my Centro to since as I said I can't get it to sync to my Win 7 desktop...I had to sync my Centro to a friend's computer as a back up in case my laptop scrambled everything....

(Apparently it was writing data on the hard drive for Win not on the regular hard drive....the data is all over the place on both drives...and the WiFi works when it feels like it...).

If someoen else comes up with webOS hardware and gets the app count up there then I can sell my Epic and move to webOS if it's on Sprint...if not I'll wait until my contract is up.

BTW I just have to say this:

Thannk's Leo for ruining our lives:
    censored:!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast