Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 146
Like Tree70Likes
  1. #101  
    It is quite weird to see most frustrated members with WebOS whining and mocking WebOS.
    They can bought any other devices instead WebOS. Again it is not a marriage. We can have as many devices as we want at same times. The reason I keep & choose WebOS because it is still there and not dead yet, even It can be said as coma condition. But hey.. It is just a devices. If HP killed WebOS. The device still works, it still can served you as device, like my centro and Tungsten T1. They still works Ok till now. And serve like day 1 I bought them. If I want to move on, there are many many devices I can buy. Why bother. If I don't have money I can use my old device again, If I have money I can buy new one. Why we need to think buying devices that only have bright future. This isn't even a car. Car can last 5-10 years or more. Phone or tablet only 2 years at most, and all technology will obsolete after that. But It still can work as Day 1 you bought it.

    So my thought here. Decision make to buy devices base on future really not related, especially Android OS. Why? Can you see how many Froyo phone can be upgraded to Gingerbread or maybe ice cream? Google not stupid enough to make all device can be upgraded. The reason is simple, they want market to keep buy and buy new devices. So their partners happy with Android OS too because it is profitable.
    So why I don't like Android OS obviously because of that reason. Your phone with current firmware maybe obsolete can be less then a year. It is frustrated for me if I bought new phone that runs Froyo then it stuck there and need to buy new phone again that runs newer OS. Yes there is maybe some work around to upgrade it unofficially. Rooting & custom roms from XDA-Developers forum. But you know, once you change custom roms, you need to flash again and again your phone each time you want to get newer firmware. There is no OTA upgrade anymore. And it is really sucks to do that if it is your main phone.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by The Bard; 11/08/2011 at 09:51 PM.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Decision make to buy devices base on future really not related, especially Android OS. Why? Can you see how many Froyo phone can be upgraded to Gingerbread or maybe ice cream? Google not stupid enough to make all device can be upgraded. The reason is simple, they want market to keep buy and buy new devices. So their partners happy with Android OS too because it is profitable.
    So why I don't like Android OS obviously because of that reason. Your phone with current firmware maybe obsolete can be less then a year. It is frustrated for me if I bought new phone that runs Froyo then it stuck there and need to buy new phone again that runs newer OS.
    I find this both ironic and a will-full disregard of history. But then, I have a Pre+, used less than a year, loaded with 1.45 collecting dust somewhere in the house.

    Also, fwiw, pretty much all apps released on android, even today, support the OS version back to 2.0 and a lot of them support it back to 1.0.

    -Suntan
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    The reason I keep & choose WebOS because it is still there and not dead yet, even It can be said as coma condition. But hey.. It is just a devices. If HP killed WebOS. The device still works, it still can served you as device, like my centro and Tungsten T1. They still works Ok till now. And serve like day 1 I bought them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    So why I don't like Android OS obviously because of that reason. Your phone with current firmware maybe obsolete can be less then a year. It is frustrated for me if I bought new phone that runs Froyo then it stuck there and need to buy new phone again that runs newer OS.
    Why does the reason that you are happy to keep your webOS phone not also apply to the same situation with an Android phone?

    Spyke
  4. #104  
    @Spyke
    Simple. Because Android OS not works as want I like. Cards view, synergy, and most important is Preware. I can't find that on Android. Android is fast because of the hardware. Android have huge amount of apps, but mostly crap, if it is good almost all of them filled with crap advertisement.

    WebOS may not have lots of apps. But ask for yourself, what apps you use most for daily use?
    Mostly WebOS can do anything I want. It may not as good as I expected, but up till now it can fulfil what I need.

    IM, Browsing, Flash, Email, Stream music, Play video, Document, Game, Phone, SMS. FB, Twitter. All can be done using WebOS.

    For me Android is just an option between WebOS and iOS. If you buy one Android device, It will very soon obsolete because you not guarantee will get firmware update. I can say very close to webOS, which now less supported. If you said even old Android still have new apps, yes maybe, but you won't get new features from new firmware will make us frustrated. Android have huge apps, but mostly free, compared to paid version on iOS, iOS have better. It don't have advertisement, and usually iOS always have first beside other OS. So between free with ads or paid but clean, I prefer paid but clean. So my point is. Android don't have strongest point in mobile market instead of boost the hardware technology and boost partners to make more and more devices. For me, if I want many apps, I go to iOS. If I don't need many apps, webOS is my choice. WebOS devices already very cheap. TP only $99/$149, maybe a bit expensive in craiglist or ebay, Veer just $80, and Pre 3 AT&T just around $175-$200. No reason not to buy it. At least it will obsolete as long as I buy Android device which won't get anymore firmware update.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by The Bard; 11/09/2011 at 11:11 AM.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I find this both ironic and a will-full disregard of history. But then, I have a Pre+, used less than a year, loaded with 1.45 collecting dust somewhere in the house.

    Also, fwiw, pretty much all apps released on android, even today, support the OS version back to 2.0 and a lot of them support it back to 1.0.

    -Suntan
    How many apps you use daily that you can not do in WebOS. App collection on Android is huge, but how many of them you use. Really use them?

    My Pre+ can be upgrade to 2.1. I think you just not interested in WebOS, that's why your Pre+ collecting dust instead of upgrade it to 2.1 and can be use till now.

    Lets counts how long you will use your Android phone. If it is already gingerbread, lets pray it will be upgraded to ice cream. And lets pray if it is not happened you still satisfied with your device with obsolete firmware, and you not interested many new features in ice cream.

    If apps is matter to you then you should jump ship to iOS, Android is just a wrong choice. Except you are a Linux geek that love to modified your Android OS. But if your are a geek then you should try to upgrade your dusty Pre+ to 2.1. If you are merely a usual device users then limited access of iOS can babysit us very well. You won't have many crash, freezed or slow down device. You will always get the best performance from iOS.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Mostly WebOS can do anything I want. It may not as good as I expected, but up till now it can fulfil what I need.

    IM, Browsing, Flash, Email, Stream music, Play video, Document, Game, Phone, SMS. FB, Twitter. All can be done using WebOS.
    Sorry Bard, I really don't understand your point. By all means prefer webOS to Android because you like the elegance of the interface - I'm with you on that one too.

    But your 'obsolete' Android device can also continue to use IM, Browsing, Flash, Email, Stream music, Play video, Document, Game, Phone, SMS. FB, Twitter. Just because there are firmware updates that it may not get doesn't mean that its existing apps will stop working - in exactly the same way as your unsupported webOS device. I don't see why in your post above you gave lack of firmware updates for older phones as a reason for disliking Android.

    Spyke
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    How many apps you use daily that you can not do in WebOS. App collection on Android is huge, but how many of them you use. Really use them?
    Do I use them all every day? No. But I do use them. Most of them will never be available on a Pre+, regardless of how much hacking a person wants to do to it.

    Netflix streaming - for watching netflix on demand

    Zumo Cast – for transcoding and watching videos from my SageTV server directly on the phone. Useful for catching the hometown 10 O’clock news cast before going to sleep while away on business travel.

    Vimeodroid – for directly accessing/managing my uploaded videos of our children so their grandparents can see what they are up to.

    TaSageTV – for controlling/selecting songs to play on my SageTV system when the projector is turned off.

    Paper Camera – For emailing unique effects photos of our children directly to digital photo frames at their grandparents’ houses.

    MoboPlayer – because it plays all the video formats, has a great user interface… …and it’s free.

    Google Maps – because it’s not Bing and it can do offline direction routing, including turn-by-turn directions, with always up to date maps… …and it’s free.

    Wifi file explorer – For transferring files to/from any computer on the LAN without needing to install server software on the computer (good for transferring things when at someone else’s place.)

    Google Voice Operation – because I can press one button, then ask for directions to a location while driving and not have to fiddle with the phone.

    Games - which are too many to count.

    Anyway, the post was about why we lost passion for the OS, not “why The Bard says webOS is the best.” Just let us discuss the topic. If Meg wants you to become the personal avenger for all things webOS, I’m sure she will PM you.

    -Suntan
  8.    #108  
    OK I have created a petition since noone else has.

    Sign away!

    Petition Continue webOS tablet development
  9. #109  
    Signed.
  10. #110  
    Last edited by sinime; 11/09/2011 at 01:45 PM.
  11. #111  
    Great job on the petition. Happy to add my digital signature.
  12. #112  
    Sorry Bard, I really don't understand your point. By all means prefer webOS to Android because you like the elegance of the interface - I'm with you on that one too.

    But your 'obsolete' Android device can also continue to use IM, Browsing, Flash, Email, Stream music, Play video, Document, Game, Phone, SMS. FB, Twitter. Just because there are firmware updates that it may not get doesn't mean that its existing apps will stop working - in exactly the same way as your unsupported webOS device. I don't see why in your post above you gave lack of firmware updates for older phones as a reason for disliking Android.

    Spyke
    I think you not read my comment about choice between WebOS, Android, and iOS.

    First, Android will have same fate with webOS, it will obsolete fast. Android maybe faster. Because Google move so fast, and market always fall behind to absorb it. Many Android devices which you spend money for it will be less attractive in months.

    Second, Android have huge apps, and mostly free but with ads in it.

    Third, WebOS devices fall cheap in price, no reason not to buy it. Why I choose Android devices that more expensive?

    Fourth, Android UI not for me. I like card view, synergy, preware.
    Last edited by The Bard; 11/09/2011 at 02:04 PM.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Anyway, the post was about why we lost passion for the OS, not “why The Bard says webOS is the best.” Just let us discuss the topic. If Meg wants you to become the personal avenger for all things webOS, I’m sure she will PM you.

    -Suntan
    Same if I said like this. 'If google want to promote more about how great Android OS, they will contact you'. Don't mock me as if I'm the only one love webOS. This is precentral home of webOS community, not others. I have many devices in my home, webOS, IOS, including Android devices that always come to me that need my service. I know which is the best for me because I'm not blindly love my one or two devices and not tried others.

    This thread discussion 'This community lost passion about webOS'. The reason obviously clear. Because of HP want to dump the WebOS, secondly this forum already tainted with many member that already change platform and happy with it, but still lurking here discouraging member here.

    If you so passionate with your choice, I think you should know there is androidcentral.com which should be fit with you.
    Last edited by The Bard; 11/09/2011 at 02:33 PM.
  14. #114  
    Maybe you guys need to start a webOS vs. Android thread???
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    OK I have created a petition since noone else has.

    Sign away!

    Petition Continue webOS tablet development
    Thanks for doing this.
  16. #116  
    No one doubts your passion Bard but, geesh, about your English... :P
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    Maybe you guys need to start a webOS vs. Android thread???
    That will be boring and against this thread topic which we need to maintain our passion and ignore trolls that always lurking here that always make mental damage.

    @matteebee13: I already showed my passion, no? :-P sorry if my English not good. English not my first language.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    No one doubts your passion Bard but, geesh, about your English... :P
    Location: 泗水 , 印度尼西亚

    nuff said.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    That will be boring and against this thread topic...
    Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was called "webOS vs, Android", but I do see your point about having passion.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Same if I said like this. 'If google want to promote more about how great Android OS, they will contact you'.
    I wasn't promoting android. What's more, I was just responding directly to a question *you* asked me.

    Nobody was really cheering for any other OS around here until you jumped in and started badmouthing everything that wasn't webOS.

    I bet if you stop talking about android as being abandon-ware and ios as only being good for people that don't want to know what they are doing, you'd see a lot less defensive responses to your posts.

    -Suntan
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions