Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes
    To All, (from a long time 'PalmHead')

Don't think the passion is gone, it just needs a place to take root. I would suspect the typical Palm enthusiast is someone who is more of a "get things done" type who appreciated technology both for what it allowed one to accomplish AND how it was put together than a pure tech geek who buys a gadget just for the sake of having a new toy.

But webOS needs customers in addition to fans. Even many of the fans have no place to satisfy their desire for a webOS device. Want a Pre2 or Pre3, how exactly do you get one without paying a kings ransom for one? With no real updates to the OS for the 'in the field devices' over the last few YEARS as compared to any of the competition, it becomes more difficult to maintain popular support.

The webOS platform had an uphill climb (but still a fighters chance) even after the fiasco which was Leo's failure. But the disjointed response since then has sucked the life out of any basis for enthusiasm. It stinks, but while I will use my Pre+ until it is dead, I can't recommend the platform to anyone else until it's future is resolved. This is why there is no enthusiasm. Imagine a movie or a sports team for whom you could not honestly tell your friends to go and see, how much buzz will there be around them?

I'm certain if HP were to throw us a bone, this place would light up. Any bone (any one of these would work):

1) Commit to 18 months of all out effort to grow the platform
    2) Cut a deal to license the OS (would be hard now, can't expect to make much on it)
    3) Show that they are actually committed to developing the software and working with developers, buy making it worth their while to write for the platform. (Just NOW offering Touchpads to developers at firesale prices? Really!?)
    4) Sell it (another tough one, but you are not making ANY money now, so swallow your pride and take what you can get - sitting on the platform will not make it more valuable)

We're waiting for a reason to get fired up. HP, please give us one.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    dianehelen likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    What stirs my passion for webOS is its elegance.

Taking the above example, on Android it is quicker to switch between running apps than on webOS. Switching between any two running apps on Android takes two user actions: a long press followed by a tap. On webOS it takes a swipe up, followed by at least two taps, but more often a swipe or two to left or right followed by a tap.

But it feels so much more intuitive on webOS. I never forget where I am, or what I have open, because the card display reinforces that each time I minimise an app.

Also, because you minimise first before you close, I rarely close an app accidentally on webOS, whereas you do it all the time (hitting the back button rather than the home button) on Android.

Of the two, for navigation, I would choose webOS.

Again, options and menus in Android are functional, and are chosen to get to the point as quickly as possible... but you need to learn where everything is. The options and menus in webOS feel more organic, they're certainly prettier, and seem to lead me to where I want to go more intuitively.

Spyke
    I agree with you, but in the long run this is very small. Once you learn android, this becomes much less important.

If I could choose, i would definitely choose webOS navigation. But there are things available on android that you flat out cannot do in webOS. Similar to your argument, there are hundreds of things in android that are annoying in webOS (ie webpage resizing).

The difference comes when i want or need something that android offers and webOS does not. Most of these are apps, but some is functions as well

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I always let out a sigh of relief when I put down my 4s and pick up my touchpad. As long as there is homebrew support, I'll be donating and using my lone webOS device. Using the 4s has made me realize even more how nice the webOS UI is and how productive it can be. I only wish there was more developer support because I sure do enjoy the quality of apps for iOS.
    Dang, you're Bumming me out...my real only hope is that Matias Duarte networks his magic on android like he did when creating the UI for webOS ... That is 2nd to a proper maker picking up webOS and putting it on devices it really deserves. He did an interview on the UI overhaul for it and ICS is just the beginning he said, and made it sound like android would def be moving closer to a fluid ui instead of a clunky one that reminds me of windows mobile just updated right now. I have no interest in iOS either and don't want to be walled in and have tried figuring out what to go with as I have gone from Pre, to Pixi, to Pre+, to Pre 2, and can't see myself going farther or even available if or when my current phone dies on me. Seems like the TP GO would have been perfect for what I was wanting, sadly, and if this was any indicator of improvements we would have seen on the phone side I would have been very pleased.

Now, I hold on to hope that good news does come b4 I am forced to get a new phone, and thank god PC and the homebrew community which is the best around is here to work wonders with my webOS toys.
    Yes, the big disappointment is that there are no devices on the market that I can recommend to friends.

Another disappointment is that the hardware team that made the touchstone charging system is now disbanded and fired.

Basically, Leo & the boardmembers took the already weak Palm and buried it alive, suffocating it to death. Other then the Palm Pre launch, everything since Palm OS 5.2 is years of frustration after frustration. How am I going to be enthusiastic for that?

Yes, I am such a fan that I bought a Pre3, only to realize that legacy app support wasn't good, there are bugs that would never be fixed, and Bing maps sucks. Plus, jumping ship from Sprint to AT&T is prohibitively costly. Sticking with my launch day Pre until something else good shows up, before that I will just be a silent launch day Pre user and focus on other more important things in life.
    I don't want to again wait for 'in the coming months' when another not envisioned bunch of manager lowers the thumb on webOS.
    There are 4.25 million webos-accounts and 500.000 registered precentral users, we need to raise our voice and get HP to act faster. In whatever way it turns out in the end, I don't want to wait for them deciding 'in the coming months'.

+1 for OP
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Go check out any other smartphone site, you might change your mind about how "dead" it is here.

cue the tumbleweeds
    tis true, even xda has really been quiet lately. development is at a stand still for some reason?

anyways, as much as i want webos to survive, unless we hear of someone buying it from hp by new years i think it's done.

i guess we shall know for certain "in the coming weeks or months" as hp likes to constantly say.
    It's OK. I found it between the sofa cushions. It's not lost anymore.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    1) Commit to 18 months of all out effort to grow the platform
    2) Cut a deal to license the OS (would be hard now, can't expect to make much on it)
    3) Show that they are actually committed to developing the software and working with developers, buy making it worth their while to write for the platform. (Just NOW offering Touchpads to developers at firesale prices? Really!?)
    4) Sell it (another tough one, but you are not making ANY money now, so swallow your pride and take what you can get - sitting on the platform will not make it more valuable)

We're waiting for a reason to get fired up. HP, please give us one.
    5) open source webOS and give us enthusiasts everything to squeeze another couple of years out of it.
    What is there to be passionate about? The early flood of rumors about suitors for webos very quickly turned into a stream and that quickly dissipated into a trickle and now we're left with the ocassional droplet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Common guys, lets not sit around like bumps on a log... what happened to the passionate community that webOS is known for?

snip

I tried Android for the first time a month ago.

Biggest pile of turd I have ever used.

Whoever is the user experience director needs to be taken out to a field and shot.

It took my cousin with a PhD 15 MINUTES to figure out how to add me as a contact on his Android phone.

The button was burried under 4, FOUR! layers in the contact app.

Unacceptable dear sir.
    Not to diss Android, but the mere fact that every single device has a completly different way of organizing something like adding a contact is disconcerting.

I really hope whatever path webOS takes it does not end up so fragmented.

I am all for open source, but the "open source" should be about the end user modifying the OS to their own means, NOT to let corperations have their way with the software and then lock it down to prevent any user modification.

That, is NOT open source. That is Oligopoly Source.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Interesting how this thread was leaving the authors intention.
    Thanks rmausser for your contribution to webOS.
    somline -- Notice how it was the OP that starting complaining about Android in HIS thread about lack of passion. When passion is lost, the only thing left to do is apparently sling mud.
    koolkid09 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    I don't want to again wait for 'in the coming months' when another not envisioned bunch of manager lowers the thumb on webOS.
    There are 4.25 million webos-accounts and 500.000 registered precentral users, we need to raise our voice and get HP to act faster. In whatever way it turns out in the end, I don't want to wait for them deciding 'in the coming months'.

+1 for OP
    You are obviously new around here. Raising our voices hasn't worked in 2 years. Noone cares about a dying os

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I would prefer a more "well known" person around here make the petition. Maybe even Derrek.

My last attempt at a petition went terribly.

People never take Canadians seriously.

I blame southpark for this.

lol

Great post!!! Ill sign the petition...er...virtually...with virtual passion??
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Reuters says HP is working with Merrill Lynch on whether to sell webOS and indicates that there are several companies interested, including Oracle.

finance.yahoo.com/news/Exclusive-HP-weighing-sale-of-rb-2185057293.html?x=0&.v=1
    vella_ likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye-08 View Post
    Reuters says HP is working with Merrill Lynch on whether to sell webOS and indicates that there are several companies interested, including Oracle.

finance.yahoo.com/news/Exclusive-HP-weighing-sale-of-rb-2185057293.html?x=0&.v=1
    It's looking like it's Oracle which would be for its patents, not the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's looking like it's Oracle which would be for its patents, not the OS.
    Great - Oracle has ruined everything they have bought up the last few years. I despise them.
    well, it was mark hurd that wanted webos when he was hp ceo... probably hurd at oracle that may still have an interest. maybe he still has a vision for it that leo didnt have.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Great - Oracle has ruined everything they have bought up the last few years. I despise them.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    well, it was mark hurd that wanted webos when he was hp ceo... probably hurd at oracle that may still have an interest. maybe he still has a vision for it that leo didnt have.
    This might be true, but Oracle is not a hardware company. I'm not sure how they would leverage it into consumer products, so I don't think I'd like this. They could be in it for the patents, which is not what I want webOS to turn into.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    It is tough to be passionate about the comatose, especially when you suspect the plug is about to be pulled and the body sold off to research.

I finally stopped waiting and retired my tired and worn pre classic for the Iphone 4s. While I miss aspects of Webos, it is nice to have many mainstream apps, walls of accessories, etc to chose from.

I hope that I am wrong about Webos and would come back with solid hardware and app development but wonder how much development will continue for the webOS touchpad. I seriously doubt much at all.
    I used to believe in HP
    very true... i think it was hurd that said he didnt buy webos to make phones i think... or at least to primarily make phones.

who knows what they will do with it but imo if it stays with hp it's dead... they are going windows tablet and mentioned before they spent too much on that software company to give this enough attention... they basically commited themselves all in with that purchase.

it's hard for me to see anyone else committing to it too... from amazon to even crazy ideas like barnes and nobles... no one has time to develop the app market and get developers on board fast enough and stay competitive... isnt microsoft having a hard enough time and they have $$$ to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    This might be true, but Oracle is not a hardware company. I'm not sure how they would leverage it into consumer products, so I don't think I'd like this. They could be in it for the patents, which is not what I want webOS to turn into.
    if no phone developer wants it, just let webOS die fast so homebrew community can freely develop what we want from a mobile OS.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast