Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    OK im going to make a petition tonight but under a psydenom. I really dont want to be in charge of this stuff
    I really really like this idea, but the support has got to be much more public. There are people posting everywhere that they still love webOS. If we campaign for it, it needs to be a concentrated effort. I had hoped that P|C would run one, and try to get a major push for support.

That being said... count me in! webOS 4 lyfe, yo.
    James Kendrick, beat reporter for ZDNet recently published an online petition that was sent to Meg Whitman with over 7,500 signatures from our webOS faithful. So, our community is doing everything it can considering we got normal lives to lead. And, I am sure Derick Kessler and other note worthy webOS ambassadors are doing their part as well.

All our community can do is to have faith that on Nov. 21st, or soon thereafter, HP will make the right decision. And if not, each of us must make a sound decision of our own.

Peace.
    I tried Android for the first time a month ago.

Biggest pile of turd I have ever used.

Whoever is the user experience director needs to be taken out to a field and shot.

It took my cousin with a PhD 15 MINUTES to figure out how to add me as a contact on his Android phone.

The button was burried under 4, FOUR! layers in the contact app.

Unacceptable dear sir.
    Doesn't take a genius to get a Ph.D. All you need is money and time.

With Android you can add a contact by dialing the number, pressing the menu, then just add. Or if it's an number that's not saved in your contacts go to call log press the number and add to contacts. Or while on the contacts screen, press menu and add contact...

I'm going to go on a limb here and say you have never used Android and your friend doesn't have a Ph.D.
    Not to diss Android, but the mere fact that every single device has a completly different way of organizing something like adding a contact is disconcerting.

I really hope whatever path webOS takes it does not end up so fragmented.

I am all for open source, but the "open source" should be about the end user modifying the OS to their own means, NOT to let corperations have their way with the software and then lock it down to prevent any user modification.

That, is NOT open source. That is Oligopoly Source.
    It would be against Googles view to put any restrictions on the way manufactures modify their software... If you want a pure device get a Nexus.

Webos is dead.
    It took my cousin with a PhD 15 MINUTES to figure out how to add me as a contact on his Android phone.

The button was burried under 4, FOUR! layers in the contact app.

Unacceptable dear sir.
    I call B.S.! What phone?
    and many have said that this voids the warrenty. I know if you do that and verizon see it poof you are on your own. they are the worst with that I had to fight with them about my Pre + when it had issues. they thought my customizing of the theme and a few patches were jail breaking / rooting the device... which i quickly showed them that Palm approved of it and that it didn't void the warrenty.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I think. The whole Android vs webOS thing is getting a little off topic. (Though it is showing some passion!) Those of you who are using Android and are no longer passionate for webOS probably don't need to "troll" here. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...l-members.html

But I suspect that most users bothering to read these forums actually do still have a passion for webOS. And for the record, my wife has an Android phone. She loves it and I hate it. So what??? (I'm hoping ICS might be more to my liking because I don't have high hopes for a new webOS device showing up on VZW's site anytime soon. I don't want to change my OS, but I need a new phone so I'm keeping an open mind.)
    Common guys, lets not sit around like bumps on a log... what happened to the passionate community that webOS is known for?

Remember when Palm was failing as a company and we went as far to make a grassroots ad campaign for webOS?

I for one am not giving up until its completely over and I can no longer log into my Palm Profile.

Lets start a petition, to tell any company that acquires or is thinking about acquiring webOS that we will purchase any mobile device with webOS on it as long as it is priced decently and of solid build quality.

Or, that we will support HP as long as they decide to build new mobile devices with webOS. I dont care if they use bits and pieces of it in other hardware, but if they are planning to tear it apart and not use it in the one place it shines, thats just the worst management decision I have ever seen.

Maybe this will have no effect, but at least we tried and it will show companies there is a consumer interest in webOS.
    problem currently is that pretty much all of the palm staff have been laid off or gone to other companys, if someone bought webOS, thats pretty much all they'd get.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    I think. The whole Android vs webOS thing is getting a little off topic. (Though it is showing some passion!) Those of you who are using Android and are no longer passionate for webOS probably don't need to "troll" here.
    In a way it gets right to the heart of the thread topic.

It's likely that the original community was almost solely made up of people with webOS phones, many of whom went on to buy a Touchpad pre-firesale.

What I suspect we have now, post-firesale, is a lot of people with an Android (or iOS) phone and a Touchpad tablet.

A considerable number of those are people like me who love the elegance of webOS on their tablet, but who are pretty knowledgable about their non-webOS phone. If you want to get the community fired up about webOS again you need to do it by engaging the new people as well as the old.

Make valid comparisons between webOS and the other mobile OSes by all means. Drive webOS forward by fixing its flaws and enhancing its advantages. Shout the brilliant things it has from the rooftops. But don't be surprised post-firesale when sweeping comments like the one above provoke a polite correction.

Spyke
    Excellent point about the non-webOS phone users. I keep forgetting that many Touchpad owners have never used a webOS phone. Thanks for pointing that out.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I call B.S.! What phone?
    My appologies, we werent trying to add a new contact, we were trying to add my new phone number to an existing contact.

It was like pulling teeth.

Motorola Atrix.
    Interesting how this thread was leaving the authors intention.
    Thanks rmausser for your contribution to webOS.
    Its so much easier to navigate apps on webOS as compared to any other mobile OS. If it doesn't work out with HP then open sourcing webOS is the rational way to go.
    Last edited by fred1955; 11/07/2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Just renewed my webOS passion by picking up the Pre3!
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    its hard to be excited about Death......
    I recommended members write a letter to the CEO and got little response. Sad as it seems the passion is gone. I am still very much passionate and plan to use my franken pre2 for a very long time. Long live webOS.
    Please write to HP and show at least your passion for webOS. Link in this forum:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...you-think.html
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Exactly. To navigate an Android device, users have to go thru several layers of screens menus, and options compared to launching and closing apps using cards.
    Sigh.

Or they simply long press the home button and switch to the other running app with a single tap.

Even if they do pick a different app the 'long way round' they still do so without either menus or options. Just a home button and screens.

Be passionate about webOS, yes, but not by propagating misinformation about its competitors.

Spyke
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    What stirs my passion for webOS is its elegance.

Taking the above example, on Android it is quicker to switch between running apps than on webOS. Switching between any two running apps on Android takes two user actions: a long press followed by a tap. On webOS it takes a swipe up, followed by at least two taps, but more often a swipe or two to left or right followed by a tap.

But it feels so much more intuitive on webOS. I never forget where I am, or what I have open, because the card display reinforces that each time I minimise an app.

Also, because you minimise first before you close, I rarely close an app accidentally on webOS, whereas you do it all the time (hitting the back button rather than the home button) on Android.

Of the two, for navigation, I would choose webOS.

Again, options and menus in Android are functional, and are chosen to get to the point as quickly as possible... but you need to learn where everything is. The options and menus in webOS feel more organic, they're certainly prettier, and seem to lead me to where I want to go more intuitively.

Spyke
    Last edited by Spyke; 11/07/2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: left out a tap.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Exactly. To navigate an Android device, users have to go thru several layers of screens menus, and options compared to launching and closing apps using cards.
    You completely missed my whole point...
    Quote Originally Posted by nolram View Post
    As a fan of many an orphaned system, I recall the Dreamcast community and how many moons after Sega pulled out of the hardware business, they still developed and hacked away at that system. Even supporting the efforts by purchasing some home-brew disks. I love my Touchpad, pre+ and Pixi and will continue to use them.
    I bought a DC for $99 on its way out. The difference bet DC and webOS products is that DC released a few hundred games before it died. Really the big thing that the non-Japanese market missed was Shenmue 2, which was released in Japan... that is like how Pre 3 never made it to US officially. The thing is, unlike DC, Palm/HP never released a huge variety of webOS phones and on top of that, webOS is suffering from lack of apps... apps that will never make it to webOS however die-hard we are.

I love DC, I love webOS... it's really sad how good products are put to death too soon.

As for this community losing passion, I'm not surprised. I'm one of them. I just woke up one day and was tired and drained from all the patience, pain, and being crushed from liking webOS. Why go through with all this... all for a freakin OS?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast