Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nolram View Post
    As a fan of many an orphaned system, I recall the Dreamcast community and how many moons after Sega pulled out of the hardware business, they still developed and hacked away at that system. Even supporting the efforts by purchasing some home-brew disks. I love my Touchpad, pre+ and Pixi and will continue to use them.
    Dreamcast? Pffft. For true hardcore die hards, us Amiga nutcases have you all beat!
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    nolram likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    do you normally just walk in a room and take a dump on the floor? AZz
    Do you normally pick on someone for no substantive reason other than the fact they have they see things differently than you? Because, if so, that's basically the same fanb0y talk this webOS community used to be known to strike out against with force until recently. If you're going to get uppity, at least have something to add to the conversation.

As for me, I still use webOS on my Touchpad, though not much, and I have a drawer full of Sprint Pre units and a Sprintified Developer Pre 2 that's recently been deactivated. I realistically just don't see much use in any of them other than the Touchpad at this point after moving to a Motorola Photon 4G and CM7 on my Touchpad. I've got all the apps I want on both units, and I can look past the issues in an ALPHA version of CM7 as long as it maintains some semblance of stability vs. the lacking number of apps in webOS. I do go back to webOS for some uses, mind you.

Bottom Line: I'm still a huge fan of webOS, but as long as it isn't getting the support it needs from HP, I need to go to a platform that's actually being actively supported with a robust software and hardware ecosystem and have available to me the critical applications I need both professionally and personally. I refuse to get caught up in the dogmatic (and, frankly, immature) arguments of "staying true" to one platform versus another.
    crutzulee and chalx like this.
    Hey vanadium, why you trolling? This thread is asking for passion and you obviously lost yours a long time ago.
    There is plenty of passion here. There isn't much fanboyism. One of the things I like about it.

I may be new to webOS, but I am not new to modding communities, and there are a bunch of great, knowledgeable people here willing to help others. Maybe some people need to read more technical posts before attacking others.

To the OP, I expect you will see the passion once there is some idea of the future of webOS, rather than rumor and official b****hit. I've said in other threads I would like to see webOS open sourced, but we all know this is extremely unlikely.

Don't confuse silence with lack of emotion.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Passion? Ok, I'll be honest, I'm not on here much, but as for webOS, huge fan and I'm running a Pre3 and TouchPad (along with my trusty Pre- as backup), all working to get rid of my laptops etc. What can I say, cloud computing/storage is the future and webOS leverages that intuitively. But that's just my opinion
    I will be perfectly honest, I wasn't here when the first Pre came out. But I have a Pixi, a Pre +, and a Pre 2 and love to use them. If it weren't for the sliding form factors of the ladder I would still use them.

I use Mango on my Trophy and while WP7 has me enticed, WebOS still has it's magic. It's honestly a tie for me. WP7 apps don't crash, WebOS apps don't crash. They both are beautiful in their own aspects and both function beautifully in their own aspects.

I really hope somebody, I don't care who, buys WebOS and respects it for what it was made for. I really hope this community blossoms again because a year ago I felt more love.
    11B1P likes this.
    The community has taken several hits over the last 2 years. I'm a die hard Palm/web OS fan. I have owned a device since the early 2000's.

The main issue is the lack of knowledge and communication that has happened. My Pre Plus has a minor limp. I'm now looking at other OS's that are starting to act more like webOS and gaining speed daily.

I have 2 touchpads in the house so to me webos will always be around as long as I have those, but it's getting harder to replace devices with a reasonable price point. $400+ for a unsupported device with no warrenty if it break is just not a price I can afford to pay.

Pre 2's are not sold online or in the verizon stores. I could get one off of ebay but i'm not knowledgable about warrenties
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    joen05 likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I lost my passion when i started tweaking my Nexus.

When I came back on a touchpad, it sealed the deal. WebOS kind if sucks. Laggy is the biggest problem, no apps is #2

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I tried Android for the first time a month ago.

Biggest pile of turd I have ever used.

Whoever is the user experience director needs to be taken out to a field and shot.

It took my cousin with a PhD 15 MINUTES to figure out how to add me as a contact on his Android phone.

The button was burried under 4, FOUR! layers in the contact app.

Unacceptable dear sir.
    something224 likes this.
  9.    #29  
    OK im going to make a petition tonight but under a psydenom. I really dont want to be in charge of this stuff
    ICS User experience is someone we all know from webOS Maithias Duearte (spelling mistake)

he has brought some of webOS to Android.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    It took my cousin with a PhD 15 MINUTES to figure out how to add me as a contact on his Android phone.

Unacceptable dear sir.
    Really? It's on the opening screen of the contact app on my Android phone. It's the big plus sign.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    Really? It's on the opening screen of the contact app on my Android phone. It's the big plus sign.

Spyke
    Not all Android phones are created the same. Some have it on the main page like the samsungs, some are 2-3 deep like the Motorola's. HTC i don't know as i have not seen one.

yeah, we have a lot of highly capable phd's/doctors in the company i work...
    doesnt mean they know how to get to and setup email on their phones

Spyke
    I tried Android for the first time a month ago.

Biggest pile of turd I have ever used.

Whoever is the user experience director needs to be taken out to a field and shot.

Unacceptable dear sir.

Spyke

I found things in my iPhone and my Droid 2 Global that didn't seem to make sense at first and then later realized I was confused and there were ways that were much easier than I had realized - but I was thinking about them in a way that was wrong.

I also think that with Android in particular - the manufacturer overlays and the multiple OS versions that are common make knowing a particular user's user experience hard.

My Droid 2 Global has a "+" on the opening screen of the contacts app that works to add a contact perfectly - giving me choices as to which contact system (Google or other) to add that contact to.

I think maybe you and the PhD over thought it - but then again I don't know what phone and what specific OS you were on and if the phone was activated and on what network etc. If that phone was that badly designed - try another android phone before you write them all off - they aren't all that poorly designed.

As someone else pointed out. Ice Cream Sandwich is influenced by the guy who designed webOS and hopefully will add more and more webOS-like features over time. There are already some alternate 3rd party launchers and tools that can make Android more like webOS than out of the box experience would give. So far my tinkering with these hasn't convinced me to use one full time but then again I still have not gone full time with Android either. Clinging to my Pre Plus for a while yet...

My advice for anyone interested in Android is to buy a cheap unit used on Craigslist and tinker with it on wifi only profile. Then you can learn and decide if it is too alien before diving in feet first. I have a work iPhone so I get to look at all three side by side for a while. So far I still like my Pre Plus enough that I don't want to change enough to do it yet.
    As for passion?

I think the community has been burned one too many times to get positive about much of anything. If anything your own thread is an example of the passion - albeit negative - that a lot of people still have here.

You're passionate about the loss of positivism and possibilities that we used to have. I'm a bit resigned - I don't see how webOS can dig out of this pit and rise once more. HP was the second chance and sadly their stewardship was not the cure the patient needed.
    I always let out a sigh of relief when I put down my 4s and pick up my touchpad. As long as there is homebrew support, I'll be donating and using my lone webOS device. Using the 4s has made me realize even more how nice the webOS UI is and how productive it can be. I only wish there was more developer support because I sure do enjoy the quality of apps for iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    ICS User experience is someone we all know from webOS Maithias Duearte (spelling mistake)

he has brought some of webOS to Android.
    That would be Matias Duarte and his influence on ICS has me considering a switch to the Galaxy Nexus (though it might be too big!).

That doesn't mean I don't have a passion for webOS, I LOVE IT, but one of my Pre+s is broken and the other one isn't taking too well to being overclocked. The Pre3 didn't get me too excited, but I would take one if I could get it on contract. I think I've made up my mind that I'm not going to take a Pre 2.

I also have a Touchpad, but to me that's more of a novelty item. I would rather have a great phone than a tablet. I think HP missed the boat on that one.

I'm still holding out for some good webOS news, but even if something comes up by years end, how long will we have to wait for new hardware? A Pre 3 would be enough to keep my fire burning, but since that's not an option I may have to look elsewhere while I keep the embers hot for webOS.

EDIT: And when I say "keep the embers hot for webOS" I mean count me in on anything that will help webOS. Even if I do end up on ICS I'll still be a fan of webOS, I'm allowed to do that! Heck, Matias Duarte recently said he's still a webOS fan.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 11/07/2011 at 09:43 AM.
  18.    #38  
    Not to diss Android, but the mere fact that every single device has a completly different way of organizing something like adding a contact is disconcerting.

I really hope whatever path webOS takes it does not end up so fragmented.

I am all for open source, but the "open source" should be about the end user modifying the OS to their own means, NOT to let corperations have their way with the software and then lock it down to prevent any user modification.

That, is NOT open source. That is Oligopoly Source.
    I know for me, things got kinda cold when activity and support in the phone forums essentially vaporized, right after the firesale.

The community prior to that was made up of us who were "looking beyond", checking the forums ALL THE TIME and already had an established, hopeful relationship with webOS on our phones--which we touted, patched, and used to death. Many of us were PalmOS converts (if not earlier), who had stuck it out through Palm's transition to webOS.

This is kinda how it went for me:

-The frustration of "in the coming months"
    -The news that HP is abandoning webOS device manufacture
    -Inability to score a TouchPad
    -Got an Android tablet instead--which was a disappointment
    -Looking to PreCentral for tips on the webOS device I DO have (Pre) and finding nothing but ignored threads and tumbleweeds--and then the news that someone is putting Android on the TouchPad why?????
    -The realization that life goes on, use what you have and focus on something that matters--not cell phones. A hobby should be fun, not a frustration.

I used to really be excited about tech and what webOS would offer. I guess I just got tired of looking ahead and waiting for the next good thing, because it's never what you hope it will be. I'm going to stay content with the Pre I have because right now it is a lot of fun to use and I know I can rely on it.

Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.
    Not to diss Android, but the mere fact that every single device has a completly different way of organizing something like adding a contact is disconcerting.

I really hope whatever path webOS takes it does not end up so fragmented.

I am all for open source, but the "open source" should be about the end user modifying the OS to their own means, NOT to let corperations have their way with the software and then lock it down to prevent any user modification.

That, is NOT open source. That is Oligopoly Source.
    You're right, it is not a diss to Android at all! That is the manufacturers trying to put their customization on top of Android. If you don't like it there are many who take the open source route and produce their own modifications and package them as a ROM. If you don't like any one that is out there, you can create your own! Want to a place to start, you can get all the source code you need here: Welcome to Android | Android Open Source.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast