Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille
  1.    #1  
    I keep seeing people who say that the Google Maps API was "changed" "disabled" or "deprecated" on November 1st. Poppycock! Show me where this is documented please. What appears more likely is that HP is trying to get users off the Google API due to agreements with Microsoft or Google. (NOTE that as of January 2012 Google will charge for high volume use of the Map API - details below)

Here are some of the reasons for my assertion:

• BFG which uses Google is working fine.
    • Google's FAQ on the api shows no deprecation of the latest (current since last year) version of the Javastript API
    • Here is a link (Posted previously in other threads) that said in January that Google would start charging partners who used the api over 25000 hits (per day) which seems more likely the motivation to change from Google to Bing.
    • Confirmed 25K per day per this link and more importantly this Google source.
    • Google Maps Javascript API version 2 was actually deprecated in May of last year. That deprecation carries with it a 3 year grace period for use of the API. For more info see this: Google Maps JavaScript API V2 Basics - Google Maps JavaScript API V2 - Google Code
    • The FLASH API for Google Maps has been deprecated as of September: Google Geo Developers Blog: Maps API for Flash deprecation announcement The point being even this more recent change wasn't in November! (Not that Flash has anything to do with Javascript based app but it might have been a source for confusion for some.)
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 11/04/2011 at 09:07 AM.
    You're a few days late in realizing this.
    worth noting the webOS google maps app uses a palm-specific url, not the generic mobile maps one that BFG using. Wouldn't surprise me if Google decided to close down that URL/service in particular in advance of the high-usage charging
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    You're a few days late in realizing this.
    I posted this to combat other people's misunderstanding of the situation - I knew long before Nov 1st and wondered why people kept misunderstanding and blaming google for things that had nothing to do with them.

Which begs the question - what was your purpose in posting?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    worth noting the webOS google maps app uses a palm-specific url, not the generic mobile maps one that BFG using. Wouldn't surprise me if Google decided to close down that URL/service in particular in advance of the high-usage charging
    I was unaware of that. What are the two urls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I was unaware of that. What are the two urls?
    The Google Maps app uses a simple full-screen embed of Google Maps which itself is rendered depending on user agent, giving a webOS-specific interface that is designed for webOS layout and gui style.

BFG Maps uses Ares' map control, which is rendered using https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js?sensor=true No webview widget used. It's the general Google Maps api used for any web developers.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    kkhanmd likes this.