1.    #1  
    This is just my opinion...

webOS is web technology oriented, Adobe have Adobe Air and have just brought PhoneGap creators Natobi, so if they brought webOS: -

webOS + PhoneGap for mobile devices + Adobe Air for PCs + jQuery & jQuery Mobile = one heck of an awesome tool set to work with!
    That makes a bit of sense, however they are not a devicey company.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
    oh that's just great... let adobe buy it... they'll have webos optimized as fast as they promised flash to mobile platforms

by that time adobe would have abandoned flash themselves and start supporting html5, lol.

and then convince companies like samsung or htc to make adobe mobile phones because they are not a hardware company.

imo, webos is pretty much dead in the water. if a mobile company takes them, they know that they will have almost zero developer support. look at microsoft and windows phone... they still have a hard time getting major dev support. without that... without apps... dead in the water.

maybe facebook has a chance... only because they have that one niche... social media and they can make it a huge social media phone and attract developers that way.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyben View Post
    This is just my opinion...

webOS is web technology oriented, Adobe have Adobe Air and have just brought PhoneGap creators Natobi, so if they brought webOS: -

webOS + PhoneGap for mobile devices + Adobe Air for PCs + jQuery & jQuery Mobile = one heck of an awesome tool set to work with!
    The only logical buyer would be the government...

...AND NO I'M NOT ADVOCATING THIS...

I think that only the government could be confused enough to think that keeping this platform alive is a requirement to keeping competition in the mobile landscape.

As much as I LOVE webOS - I think it's a done goose. The delay to market killed it. Palm was undercapitalized and unable to push the model. They could have competed like Android with multiple partners licensing the product - then the hardware would have been on par with others - but they elected not to try that route. They couldn't compete once the carriers went hog wild with android. AT that point the markets spoke and development efforts went to iOS and Android. Microsoft and Blackberry have some advantages that Palm did not and HP came too late and moved with the graceful lumber of a whale on land.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet - but it seems it's just a matter of time.

Personally - I'm enjoying my phone. It's cheap to replace ($50 for a good used one); reasonably useful; and fun to toy with. Some day I'll have to go with another OS for my primary personal phone - but for now I'm still webOS loyal... but those days are numbered.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    That makes a bit of sense, however they are not a devicey company.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    imo, webos is pretty much dead in the water.
    Well I didn't necessarily mean they buy it for their own mobile eco-system; they could just incorporate some webOS concepts into PhoneGap and Air. A platform doesn't neccessarily need dedicated hardware, like Microsoft never made Windows hardware. Whats to say in the future mobile devices will be free to use whatever OS the user wants, like PCs today, were you can choose between Windows or Linux...just sayin'...think beyond ;-)
    Maybe the answer lies in licensing it out. If various manufacturers got their hands on webOS, well, then we might get some choice and slight diversity. It seems to have worked for Android.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by pecuevasb; 11/04/2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Adobe actually sounds like a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyben View Post
    A platform doesn't neccessarily need dedicated hardware, like Microsoft never made Windows hardware.
    True, but Windows was the thing that everybody wanted, so they got hardware makers bangin' on their door since day two. Now, go ahead and find a mobile vendor that is willing to have webOS,

webOS future is homebrew. Wait, no, that's present.