Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    You may have heard the same rumor that I have that goes something like this:

HP bought Palm and WebOS in order to have leverage with Microsoft in negotiations regarding the cost of future MS products on HP devices (e.g., W8). Once they got the going forward price they wanted, part of the deal was that HP would kill WebOS and stick with MS.

Maybe far fetched, but an interesting rumor none the less.

Your thoughts?
    No. HP killed prematually on webOS device because it didn't sell well. And HP was losing tons of money.
    No. Consumers killed webOS when they didn't buy very many of the products that shipped with webOS.

Sorry, but that's the reality.

-Suntan
    No. The reality is the leprechauns killed webOS. We all know it, and we all know exactly why they did it.

I know, it's harsh, but i've come to accept and moving on.
    HP tried their best to kill webOS barely a month into the Touchpads life and 1 day into the pre3's life, not due to any of the above (because what kind of fools only wait 1 month?) but due to the stupidity of their CEO/Board.

It doesnt need crediting to any external factors, its all inhouse issues, its why there still isnt anything confirmed/planned even this far on.

Simply put, whats left of HP is utterly incompetent, you only have to see the amount of people "leaving" or "retiring" recently, the ones remaining (currently) probably just havent yet found a new place to live.
    Stevesrjr86 likes this.
    That does it. I'm changing my TouchPad theme to Grassy Knoll.
    65fastback likes this.
    If I had to guess, I would point out that Bill Gates and Leo Apotheker have never been pictured together or in the same room simultaneously. Coincidence? Only if you believe in them.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    bluenote likes this.
    Of course Microsoft killed webOS. Otherwise, the top brass at HP wouldn't have the guts to pull the lousiest management decisions made in corporate history if they weren't assured of support from MS. Now all they have to do is keep webOS in limbo.
    No, I did!
    HP tried to compete in a market that Apple has, by selling a similar product for the same price. Apple already had the Apps and peoples trust, so between the two logically more would choose Apple due to familiarity. HP should have eaten the cost of the Touchpad and Pre 3 in the first place (similarly to what Nintendo WII and PS3 game systems do) and sell more heavily on Apps and accessories.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    No. The reality is the leprechauns killed webOS. We all know it, and we all know exactly why they did it.

No, the Ninjas killed webOS.

-- Sent from Communities. I am the webOS 1%
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    anyone remember the micorosoft 'kin' phones? this whole fiasco kind of reminds me of that. except webOs is by far superior to that pos that kin was.
    I believe that O2 not supporting the HP webOS devices - except the Veer - has a lot to do with the bad market demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    I believe that O2 not supporting the HP webOS devices - except the Veer - has a lot to do with the bad market demand.
    OR the fact that Sprint never carried another WebOS device after the original PrPrPr $and$ $Pixi$ $we$ $released$... $I$'$m$ $sure$ $if$ $the$ $Pre$ $2$ $saw$ $the$ $light$ $of$ $day$ $on$ $sprint$, $there$ $would$ $have$ $been$ $more$ $praises$ $of$ $the$ $OS$ $instead$ $of$ $anger$ $with$ $the$ $crappy$ $hardware$.
    gerzhwin likes this.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    You may have heard the same rumor that I have that goes something like this:

HP bought Palm and WebOS in order to have leverage with Microsoft in negotiations regarding the cost of future MS products on HP devices (e.g., W8). Once they got the going forward price they wanted, part of the deal was that HP would kill WebOS and stick with MS.

Maybe far fetched, but an interesting rumor none the less.

Your thoughts?
    Absolutely, Microsoft is scared of webOS, first as a competitor in mobile space second as a potential OS in desktop space.

Make no mistake Microsoft needs HP to stay with their OS to fight off Apple,Google and ORACLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Absolutely, Microsoft is scared of webOS, first as a competitor in mobile space second as a potential OS in desktop space.
    ROFLMAO! Are you really being serious, or did you forget to embed obligatory sarcasm tag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    ROFLMAO! Are you really being serious, or did you forget to embed obligatory sarcasm tag?
    *shrug* I would almost lay a dollar that webOS market share was better than Windows Phone, at least until the death of the Pre.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    HP killed webOS. They did it through the miltitude of poor decisions they made.

1) Announce the product months before delivery
    2) Release the product before the software was ready and lag free.
    3) Not pay enough big name developers to create apps on launch
    4) Attempted to completely change webOS within such a small time frame.
    5) Did not market the device enough
    6) Did not price it accordingly

What HP should have done is release an afforable 7" wifi and 3G tablet in February days after the announcement that was based off of webOS 2.1, just slightly scaled up. It would not have been as elegant as webOS 3.0, but it would have been more stable, available NOW to consumers, and have 6000 working apps on release.

This also would have killed off the Playbook as people would consider it a knock off to the webOS tablet and inferior.

Then, they should have worked on webOS 3.0 longer until it was ready and released it right before christmas coming up, for $300.

Then, release 3.0 as an update to the 7" tablets
    gerzhwin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

I agree, they we're using the phones so much, they weren't paying enough attention to there gold and were loosing too much of it. Well, that or their nubby fingers couldn't type on the keyboards.
    bluenote likes this.
    Palm gave it a terminal illness called "substandard hardware" and HP took it off life support. It's breathing on it's own with a small shot in the arm called "fire sale"...but it's only a matter of time before it's laying on the table, its useful parts taken out to breathe new life into Android or WP.
    ghostjb likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast