• 2 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.....see link...

Take care,

Jay

webOS revival: 5 potential partners for...

Posted 31st October 2011 at 3:05pm by Joe Minihane

webOS revival: 5 potential partners for HP's reborn OS - uSwitch.com

Just two months after it seemed webOS was about to meet its maker, HP has said that the platform’s planned demise is now “unfounded rumour”.

What does that mean? Well, chances are the PC giant will try and licence the operating system out.

It’s already said it’s had enough of the hardware business. But what chance does it stand in a world where manufacturers other than Apple and BlackBerry can and do already sell phones using Windows Phone and Android software?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp likes this.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    1) Sony - have said they are not interested

2) HTC - Just had record profits and sales with Android devices and have said no.

3) Samsung - just had record phone sales with android devices and have said no.

Did the guy write that article on the toilet?
    All of these postulations, rumors, projections, and visiting psychics do not address the following issues that must be overcome by anyone, regardless of size or inclination to have their own OS:

Very few apps. Regardless of how many apps that have been added since the release of the TouchPad, there are still woefully under-apped when it comes to the competitors. Any purchaser would face a MASSIVE uphill climb to increase the number of available apps to come close to competing.

A history of disappointment. Since the first release of webOS on terrible hardware Palm and then HP faced the issue of upset customers who clamored for, but never received, decent hardware. Add to that two companies having trashed the OS and squandered any goodwill they had with customers and developers.

Developer support. Without developers, there will be no apps. Both Palm and HP have squandered any develop support they may have had or could have had. Just because there may be a new owner does not make it suddenly popular and developers clamoring for tools and getting in on the ground floor.

Users. Sure, there are tons of people who recently picked up fire sale TouchPads. But that does not translate into customers who would be there for a new line of devices. Face it, 90% of the people who purchased these did so because of the amazing cut in prices -- not for the platform. Of that 90% what percentage would say they would purchase another device if it was sold at market comparable prices?

I just don't see someone wanting to pick up this baggage...but then again there is a reason I'm not the CEO of a company that could possibly pick this up.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

2) HTC - Just had record profits and sales with Android devices and have said no.

I didn't know sony said that, i thought that they were mum on the subject.
    Despite HP's attempts to find a potential buyer or licencee for webOS - which ran on the short-lived TouchPad - there has been no apparent interest outside the company. Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, told the Guardian on Thursday that he had no immediate interest in buying or licensing it after completing the acquisition of the rest of the Sony Ericsson business. And early suggestions that HTC might purchase it have also fallen away.

Some have suggested that Amazon might buy webOS, seeing the presence on the Amazon board of ex-Palm chief executive and HP executive Jon Rubinstein, who previously worked for Apple. But there is no indication that Amazon is interested in acquiring another operating system; it is using its own version of Google's Android software for its new Kindle Fire device.
    HP to hold on to PC division
    And as you may know, Sony (formerly Sony Ericsson) is 100% Android. The Xperia line, their new Playstation platform for Android, etc. All, obviously, Android.

Agreed, Nothing new in this article. Just more of the same. At this point it's better to open source webOS. That's what many of use here are hoping for.
  8.    #8  
    Hi, he didn't write it on the toilet...he got his info FROM the toilet....LOL...take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    webOS revival: 5 potential partners for...

Posted 31st October 2011 at 3:05pm by Joe Minihane
    Boy, Derek sure does write under a lot of pseudonyms, doesn't he ;-).

I think he is the only one, single handedly keeping these kinds of rumors alive...
    SmartFah likes this.
    Sadly if HP decided to sell webOS and didn't care about the future of it all I could actually see either Microsoft or Google buying it, just to remove any possibility of competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Sadly if HP decided to sell webOS and didn't care about the future of it all I could actually see either Microsoft or Google buying it, just to remove any possibility of competition.
    I don't really mind someone big buying it up just to cannibalize it for the features/patents. If it leads to a better WP or Android OS, why not? Like a previous poster said...webOS as a brand is almost cursed.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I don't really mind someone big buying it up just to cannibalize it for the features/patents. If it leads to a better WP or Android OS, why not? Like a previous poster said...webOS as a brand is almost cursed.
    I really hope that Google buys it and buys it now. Google is in the begining stage of development for Jelly Bean, the next release of Android. And we will see some of it's features at Google I/O in April.
    I have decided that Johnson and Johnson would be a good buyer. Just think, webOS phones that smell like baby shampoo....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I still think that webOS might have greater chances at survival if it's licensed out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by pecuevasb; 11/04/2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I really hope that Google buys it and buys it now. Google is in the begining stage of development for Jelly Bean, the next release of Android. And we will see some of it's features at Google I/O in April.
    Yeah thats a good thing. I like Google and Android especially ICS. But it would be fun to have a fourth competitor to the big three. ( Google, Apple and Microsoft ) .
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    +1 I agree. I would like to see Google get the rights to use the User Interface and synergy parts of webOS then incorporate them into future generations of Android devices.

The one technology that I hope will also be picked up by Google is the inductive charging or magnetic docking, that is just so much better than plugging and unplugging your phone every time you need to move to another location.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    +1 I agree. I would like to see Google get the rights to use the User Interface and synergy parts of webOS then incorporate them into future generations of Android devices.

The one technology that I hope will also be picked up by Google is the inductive charging or magnetic docking, that is just so much better than plugging and unplugging your phone every time you need to move to another location.
    +2 On Google. I think Google or Apple might be buyers if the price it right. If not they will just continue to copy the best things webOS has to offer. Google already has Matias Duarte and he has things going in the right direction, but buying webOS for the patents still makes sense if the price is right.

+1 on the Touchstone. Many former Palm users have modified their Android devices to work with the Touchstone. I may be one of them in the near future (contemplating the Galaxy Nexus). It's one of those things that is hard to live without once you've had it.