Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By matchqq
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....more webOS speculation....see link.

Take care,

Jay

Could Amazon plan to release a smartphone?
    RADU TYRSINA OCTOBER 27, 2011

http://gigjets.com/10/could-amazon-p...-a-smartphone/

Amazon’s recent bold move seems to hint that the company is ready to increase the range of devices. Analysts believe this could be the only reason Amazon expressed interest to buy the infamous Palm and its webOS. Previously, Palm was related to downfall of TouchPad, HP tablet after HP bought this company last year paying a staggering $1.2 billion. Now Amazon’s intention to buy Palm and its valuable patents seems daring and Amazon shareholders panicked. After the news of acquisition become public, Amazon’s shares drop 2%. But there is a patent war on Silicon Valley and Amazons is gearing up to win and the purchase of a company like Palm although risky could reveal a bigger plan.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Is this actually public that amazon is going to buy palm? I don't think that anything has been determined yet as to the fate of webOS.

In terms if making a smartphone lineup, i think that amazon could handle it. The question remains if they want to.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    Is this actually public that amazon is going to buy palm? I don't think that anything has been determined yet as to the fate of webOS.

In terms if making a smartphone lineup, i think that amazon could handle it. The question remains if they want to.
    Hi,

1. the article is titled "could".

2. I agree with you... Amazon has proved itself very adept at selling everyhting...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    ugh let's prey for amazon buying palm and webOS. I just love both so much and amazon seems to be the last possible buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    ugh let's prey for amazon buying palm and webOS. I just love both so much and amazon seems to be the last possible buyer.
    I would say DELL would be a better chance than Amazon. If DELL wanted to bet the farm on a Hail Mary long shot, buying webOS and pumping it onto products might be an option. A bad option, but an option all the same.

That said, in no way do I think DELL will purchase webOS, it's just slightly more likely than Amazon.

Amazon will not buy webOS. They have already designed the user interface they want and it runs on top of Android.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I would say DELL would be a better chance than Amazon. If DELL wanted to bet the farm on a Hail Mary long shot, buying webOS and pumping it onto products might be an option. A bad option, but an option all the same.

That said, in no way do I think DELL will purchase webOS, it's just slightly more likely than Amazon.

Amazon will not buy webOS. They have already designed the user interface they want and it runs on top of Android.

-Suntan
    Amazon kindle fire OS is modified from Android Gingerbread, which is a outdated Android version. If they want the OS more capable and more multifunctional, they need to work from a more advanced Android version or other OS. webOS in this premise is a good candidate, which can also help them differentiate from other predominant OS. And with ACL they could make Android apps portable to webOS so make their amazonapp store exploitable.

I think Amazon is the last possible buyer because they have the motivation and probably the only one amongthe alleged buyers with the ability to pull off all these works.
    Amazon kindle fire OS is modified from Android Gingerbread, which is a outdated Android version.
    Outdated? It's the latest version out there. ICS has yet to be released.

Besides, if Amazon used webOS, you wouldn't even recognize it. They don't want it to be a webOS tablet or an Android tablet, they want it to be a fancy color Kindle.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    The latest version is Honeycomb 3.2. Gingerbread is not even optimized for tablet.
    The latest version is Honeycomb 3.2. Gingerbread is not even optimized for tablet.
    And yet we continue to hear a lot of people that are very happy to get access to the phone version of Gingerbread on their touchpads. How it runs faster and offers functionality they didn't have with webOS...

In any case, Amazon picked android (and the phone version of android no less) for their tablet. The one they have reportedly pre-sold a bajillion of. If you think it would make sense for them to then buy webOS, spend the time and resources to make it look how they want it, then switch to using it on a phone; Well go ahead and think that.

If Amazon does end up buying webOS, I'll owe you a coke.

-Suntan
    Honeycomb is the latest tablet OS. Gingerbread is the latest phone OS. Now if you'd said, "It's not running a tablet OS," then you'd be right. Gingerbread is not outdated until ICS is released. When that happens, both HC and GB are outdated