1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

Take care,

Jay

Could HP bring WebOS back?
    by Roger Cheng October 27, 2011 2:44 PM PDT

Could HP bring WebOS back? | Mobile - CNET News

Could the TouchPad make a permanent comeback? Probably not, but it's fun to think about.

commentary If Hewlett-Packard is flip-flopping on the PC business, it should go all the way and bring WebOS and the mobile business back as well.

After an evaluation of the business, HP said today that it would keep its personal systems group, a.k.a. its consumer PC business, calling it the best move for shareholders, consumers, and the company.
    The decision caps off a dizzying few months for HP, which today is putting the kibosh on the complete transformation of the company from a consumer electronics product manufacturer to a business-class software and consulting services provider. In its bid to get out of anything dealing with consumers, HP essentially put WebOS on ice.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I like the way this guy thinks. It is definitely a long shot, but I hope that it is one that HP is willing to take. I wish that there were some way to figure out how many people would be interested in webOS on new hardware. A strong show of support in that way could go a long way.
    Their PC business made money. A whole lot of it.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I would be happy if they brought it back but I dont think we have a prayer.

There is really no reason. They are in bed with Windows for PC's and will now start pushing Windows tablets.

I love WebOs as much as everybody on these forums, and have been loyal and pushing the OS on others, but I think its over.

Now its time to decide, Pre 2 for another year or just jump to Android or Apple now. Certainly, Ice Cream Sandwich ( how stupid is that name) will make the jump a little easier.
    Chalk this up as another rumor... but I have a trusted technology consultant that is on first name basis with several members of HP's board. He tells me that HP is hiring back WebOS developers that were laid off around the time of the Leo announcement, and that he hears that the upcoming WebOS decision is supposed to be promising for fans of the operating system.

Again, just another grain of salt...but one that I trust that the source believes what he is saying.
    joen05 and Vij like this.
    Totally a rumor.

It might happen - but I don't think it's likely.

I guess that HP is internally divided about where to go from here.

Now that they keep the consumer PC biz they still *need* a solution for mobile - especially tablets. That's why they bought Palm. It made sense last year - and it still would make sense this year.

But given long history and wide cooperation with MS many will consider W8 a safer choice.
    That's actually wrong and W8 is quite risky because the 2 big classic advantages for Windows (familiarity and application compatibility) go bye-bye with W8 on ARM (looks totally different, UI has still to gain wide acceptance and none of the existing windows applications - written for X86 - will work on ARM based CPUs). And non-X86 is a necessity to get the battery life that's so important for mobile devices.

But I'm afraid many don't understand that, MS will talk a good game and provide many incentives and it will appear to be the safer option than webos. And webos will cost a lot more in the short to medium term.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    Chalk this up as another rumor... but I have a trusted technology consultant that is on first name basis with several members of HP's board. He tells me that HP is hiring back WebOS developers that were laid off around the time of the Leo announcement, and that he hears that the upcoming WebOS decision is supposed to be promising for fans of the operating system.

Again, just another grain of salt...but one that I trust that the source believes what he is saying.
    I hope your source is correct X 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    ...and none of the existing windows applications - written for X86 - will work on ARM based CPUs). And non-X86 is a necessity to get the battery life that's so important for mobile devices.
    That might not be entirely true. I can see MS using some sort of run time translator to allow x86 Windows programs to run on ARM. It would cause a performance hit, sure, but people would see their favorite Win Apps on their desktop, laptop, tablet and phone with perfect file compatibility and easy synchronization. The alternative would be for MS to try and force software manufactures to provide two versions.

If they can't do either, then there would be no point to Win 8 being used for both types of hardware anyway. The main point behind using a common OS, is the common applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    That's actually wrong and W8 is quite risky because the 2 big classic advantages for Windows (familiarity and application compatibility) go bye-bye with W8 on ARM (looks totally different, UI has still to gain wide acceptance and none of the existing windows applications - written for X86 - will work on ARM based CPUs).
    I think the Metro interface can be turned off with Windows 8, but in the tablet space, I don't know why you would want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    He tells me that HP is hiring back WebOS developers that were laid off around the time of the Leo announcement
    I totally doubt this can be true. There was such widespread coverage of the layoffs in the blogs and news sites, that if HP started hiring some back we would have been hearing about it. Getting laid off then hired back by HP would be a big deal that people would talk about - especially in this economy!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    I totally doubt this can be true. There was such widespread coverage of the layoffs in the blogs and news sites, that if HP started hiring some back we would have been hearing about it. Getting laid off then hired back by HP would be a big deal that people would talk about - especially in this economy!
    Not so fast to that conclusion. No benefit to them talking about it so early and it might anger their new employer HP.

I think something is happening. Jon has to prove his business case and has his legacy on the line. Jaaksi's team is working on the webOS engine. But what this turns out to be is anyone's guess. I'm hoping Meg's consumer leanings will push her towards supporting more development...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Not so fast to that conclusion. No benefit to them talking about it so early and it might anger their new employer HP.
    Their physical presence would give the game away, if HP was hiring back engineers then someone somewhere would have talked about it, officially or unofficially.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Their physical presence would give the game away, if HP was hiring back engineers then someone somewhere would have talked about it, officially or unofficially.
    webOS developers--they can work off campus, can't they? Or maybe only a few are being hired back in order to help advance the new direction. Really, too early to speculate, end of Nov can't come soon enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    I agree that it is probably not true, but not for the same reason. Meg has already shown with how she handled the PSG spin off issue, that she is not going to make knee-jerk reactions without all of the information (at least not at this point). Which means that she would not likely hire anyone to work on webOS until after the COMPLETE decision has been made, the full strategy mapped out, and careful resource planning has been done. Now what might be happening is some of them being put on temporary retainer to keep them from taking other jobs until the decision is made. The other possibility is that they are being rehired for a different position. HP is good about rehiring good employees that were laid off for different positions. Either way I don't think anyone has been rehired specifically for webOS yet.
    bluenote likes this.