Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joen05
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    So what are the chances that someone will buy over webos and start developing with the mobile platform. Its a shame HP is dropping support. I am up for a new phone but am not sure wether to get a pre2/3 or get a blackberry torch 9810. im not sure atm its all depends on the future of webos
    I've been a big fan of webOS since the beginning, and a fan of Palm for longer than that, and I don't see how anyone could say there's even a slim chance at this point.

For me, I got a Pre3, and I expect that to last me another year or two. That being said, I have a ton of purchased apps and games, and so part of that is me wanting to extend the use of my software purchases for as long as possible before having to start fresh (though, I'm sorry developers but unless I really need something really badly, I won't be investing too much more money into new apps). The other thing is that no other OS works for my own personal needs as well as webOS does right now, and until more of the features of webOS that I need for daily use get borrowed by other devices, I don't have much of a choice.
    While I agree with what jhoff80 has to say regarding the future of webOS, I would still say get the pre 2/3 over the blackberry (if those are the two you've limited it to). I think that based on this community alone, your experience would be better. As long as there are people who are passionate about webOS, there will be further development, regardless of whether or not it comes from official sources.

I also hope that jhoff80 is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    I also hope that jhoff80 is wrong.
    Believe me, I hope I'm wrong too.
    JHoff, we've heard persistent rumors of bidding process. Why do you think chances are slim to none that this process exists and will conclude?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    JHoff, we've heard persistent rumors of bidding process. Why do you think chances are slim to none that this process exists and will conclude?
    I would say we've heard very sporadic rumors of a bidding process, with nothing that comes even close to substantiation. One of the rumored bidders is HTC, who has flat-out stated they aren't interested in WebOS but content with Android and Windows. That casts a good bit of doubt on the rumors.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The first thing to say is that we are all guessing - having said that, my guess is that nobody is interested or they are not interested at whatever valuation HP has on the assets and patents of the companies. Even if one of the smaller players were interested (Sony, LG) is there any reason to think they could do more with WebOS than has been done in the past when faced against the iOS, Android juggernauts?

In addition, Blackberry is going to be playing hardball next year with BBX and Nokia/Microsoft are able to drop a lot of cash on marketing and promotion alone to kick-start WP7. Even if someone bought WebOS tomorrow for competitive hardware we are looking at middle end of 2012, a time where WP7 might have picked up more market share.
    if the bids were too low, then hp drcided that a few weeks ago. When did the att pre 3s start flooding the market? One theory is they flood the pre3s, get enyo on the old phones so they can at least keep the ground soft while they figure out if they want to revive, kerris meanwhile leaves because of all the uncertainty and delay

edit -sony just bought out ericsson in phones for 1.5 bil plus, do they need an operating system? Not that I like sony anymore, their networked dvd player seemed like spyware

edit2-engadget today--
    president and CEO Sir Howard Stringer has just addressed the media on the proposed buyout and confirmed that the company will indeed move away from feature phones, as previously stated. This effectively heralds the death of the Walkman line and the dawn of Sony's exclusively Android era, though Stringer's not ruling out the possibility of bringing another OS on board. When asked whether his firm would consider buying webOS, the exec said simply, "Never say never."
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/27/2011 at 08:05 AM.
    Because really, who is going to pay to buy an operating system that is so far behind the competition in quite a lot of ways? Don't get me wrong, it's ahead of the competition in a few as well, but as iOS, Android, and WP7 keep advancing, webOS keeps staying behind. Each major iterative version of other operating systems makes webOS less and less attractive to a potential buyer because it means there's going to be so much more work to catch up.

I suspect anyone who potentially buys webOS will really only be interested in the patents.

Besides that, on August 19th when they announced this new plan, they were saying they wanted two months... well, it's been two months, and the longer things remain in limbo, the more users will splinter off. You can't take the fire sale users into account here, because someone who buys a Touchpad for $100 isn't going to be loyal to your system in the future, they just wanted something cheap.

Finally, pretty much every big company that has been rumored has either publicly said no (Samsung, HTC) or it just makes zero sense (Amazon).

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong though.
    if the bids were too low, then hp drcided that a few weeks ago. When did the att pre 3s start flooding the market? One theory is they flood the pre3s, get enyo on the old phones so they can at least keep the ground soft while they figure out if they want to revive,
    I don't think you can read anything into HP's 'flooding the market' with Pre3s. They had the phones built, so employees are clearly just purchasing them internally and selling them off on eBay, rather than just letting them waste space in a landfill somewhere. I doubt there's any real strategic importance to this, especially when 'flooding the market' pales in comparison to probably 15 minutes of iPhone sales even if you only take one carrier into account.
    I hear you.
    how does sony differentiate with just another android phone.
    jaaksi says he is working on the os, don't know depth of this
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Maybe Sony will go for a bid, not sure that would make an actual difference, Sony has failed to really gain from the massive growth of android in the way that HTC or others have, so I'm not sure they have it in their company DNA to be able to propel a stillborn OS back to success.

I'm starting to think that the battle of the OSes is over for this generation of smartphones - with it being Android and iOS the winners and BBX and WP7 fighting it out for third place and the something new coming alone to displace one of those in the next (in the same way that Symbian and Blackberry were/are displaced this time around) generation. WebOS will be one of the also-rans of this generation and an interesting footnote not little more.

[Analyst head].
    Sure those touchpad owners are cheap buyers but now webOS is in the hands of more users, an opportunity to convert them to more webOS products. Some of those buyers were already exposed to android, ios--but not to webOS until today and now they are admirers. Doing the 3.04 update, giving them free apps, allowing the possibility via a back door for them to acquire the webOS phones also--sounds like keeping the ground soft.

Agreed HP needs to say something soon. If the bid process is still underway, their silence makes sense; if it is broken, they need to step up now with a new strategy and put some money and intelligence behind it.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Sure those touchpad owners are cheap buyers but now webOS is in the hands of more users, an opportunity to convert them to more webOS products.
    But everything I've seen says that in terms of actual WebOS users, the peak came and went before the Touchpad even existed - which is when there were around 3.5 million users using the Pre, Pixi and Pre Plus. So in terms of conversion - you are talking about a market that has peaked and declined from it's highest point.

And for anyone looking to invest, either of those numbers are pitiful when considered against the market.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    at this point the patents attached to webOs might be more valuable than the software itself. I could see a company buying it for that alone, much like the reason why google bought motorolla
    I bet Google is keeping their eye on webOS. I wouldn't be surprised if Google or Apple ends up with webOS if the price drops low enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    I bet Google is keeping their eye on webOS. I wouldn't be surprised if Google or Apple ends up with webOS if the price drops low enough.
    I hope not, because then webOS is dead, with certainty.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    For me, chances for complete webOS shutdown are 70%. Webos buyout because of patents and Palm brand ( eg. Nokia buys webOS and Palm to be able to produce Android or Meego under Palm brand and still be able to milk MS) are 20%. Remaining 10% is reserved for sincere buyout of webOS in attempt to reboot platform.
    I hope I'm wrong.