Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Always a rumor until corroborated, but...

Breaking: Richard Kerris is Leaving HP | webOS | hp, resign, Richard Kerris | mobileRoundup

That's a pretty big nail.
    Yep.
    Unless they are selling it and he doesn't want to stick around. Maybe he knows who the new buyer is and he doesn't want to go with them. Or they don't need him.

Thought he did a good job in getting apps.

My guess is the source was Kerris or someone close to him--you wouldn't publish something like this unless it was corroborated.
    PreCentral has posted the official statement by HP.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Or he thinks the future of webOS is too ominous to stick around...
    Gives me hope someone will want webOS:

Compaq becomes latest to sign a deal with MSFT over Android royalties

AND

Goldman: Microsoft Is Getting $444 Million Annually From Android Patent Licenses
    Goldman: Microsoft Is Getting $444 Million Annually From Android Patent Licenses
    Jay Yarow | Sep. 29, 2011, 8:02 AM | 12,108 | 11

Microsoft will generate $444 million in revenue from Android patent deals for fiscal year 2012 (started in July 1, 2011, ends June 30, 2012), according to a note from Goldman Sachs's tech analyst team.

Goldman estimates that Microsoft is getting $3-$6 per Android device sold. With settlements from Samsung, HTC, and others, Goldman arrives at its estimate. It also says the patent deals will add $0.04 in EPS annually for Microsoft...

edit:
    this also gives me hope a tv manufacturer will want webOS
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ff-robbin.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 10/24/2011 at 08:50 PM.
    Time to have a look at the 'survival guide'. It's unlikely that he would be leaving if he was confident in the future of webOS Dev Relations.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    How come palm doesn't sue for QNX, ICS, Kindle Fire android stealing their card and gesture idea?
  8.    #8  
    That's simple: Because Palm doesn't have a patent for it; only an application filed in 2009 for a patent, which means they can't really enforce it.

Not to mention the guy who came up with the card-and-gesture idea in webOS is the guy behind ICS over at Android now. Good luck with litigating that; it'd be a monumental waste of money on HP's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    That's simple: Because Palm doesn't have a patent for it; only an application filed in 2009 for a patent, which means they can't really enforce it.

Not to mention the guy who came up with the card-and-gesture idea in webOS is the guy behind ICS over at Android now. Good luck with litigating that; it'd be a monumental waste of money on HP's part.
    It is 100% true and his replacement is just the next in line. Not a good way to earn a prestigious title, but when all the REAL talent leaves a company, and it basically becomes the RATS on the ship running the show, it's becomes nothing more than rearranging the deck furniture aboard the TITANIC.

Makes me really sad because it is so WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN GREATNESS...
    Last edited by MUNOGABBAGABBA; 10/25/2011 at 12:33 AM.
  10.    #10  
    There's still considerable talent over there running webOS. It's the people that don't have their boots on the ground (read: executives) that are more or less the problem.
    When I was having no luck in getting a refund from Walmart for my Launch Day TouchPad (which I later got), I reached out to Richard on twitter. He couldn't help with the refund, but sent me a free Veer, TouchStone, Touchpad Case and Bluetooth Keyboard. Not a bad way to mollify an unhappy camper. He will be missed. Hope he lands somewhere prosperous.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Maybe he knows who the new buyer is and he doesn't want to go with them. Or they don't need him.
    ... or he is joining the new buyer beforehand
    Or maybe someone offered him more money. Or maybe this wasn't something he really wanted to do. Who knows? Official statements hadn't come out last I knew. Fox news reported on it as earlier as starting from webosroundup and being verified by pre-central. I love both of those sites but neither are exactly the places news orgs should be reporting from.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Or maybe someone offered him more money. Or maybe this wasn't something he really wanted to do. Who knows? Official statements hadn't come out last I knew. Fox news reported on it as earlier as starting from webosroundup and being verified by pre-central. I love both of those sites but neither are exactly the places news orgs should be reporting from.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I thought both sites reached out to HP and got a small statement from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    ... or he is joining the new buyer beforehand
    I like the way you think. Not sure that's what it will be, but I like it.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    or maybe he was just sick of HP. if i worked for hp i think i would not want to be there either :P
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    or maybe he was just sick of HP. if i worked for hp i think i would not want to be there either :P
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    There's still considerable talent over there running webOS. It's the people that don't have their boots on the ground (read: executives) that are more or less the problem.
    I was not speaking about any of the very talented and devoted tech support, and developer support engineers that are the heart and soul of webOS, but rather THE OTHERS currently in charge...or about to be briefly at sinking ship inc.
    Meh, in my opinion Kerris didn't do much for developer relations. It didn't really improve during his tenure. He gave priority to the big and "sexy" devs, while little guys like me couldn't get anywhere with developer relations. Him leaving is a non-event, just hope they can replace him with someone who can actually improve developer relations.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Meh, in my opinion Kerris didn't do much for developer relations. It didn't really improve during his tenure. He gave priority to the big and "sexy" devs, while little guys like me couldn't get anywhere with developer relations. Him leaving is a non-event, just hope they can replace him with someone who can actually improve developer relations.
    Off line discussion...PM me and I can give you the true skinny .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast