1.    #1  
    Hello,

I think this is my first post here. Sorry if it is long-winded. My 2 points are at the bottom, so scroll down!

Believe it or not, I have until recently still been using a Handspring 180g! I used to ignore the jibes about my 'brick' and point out how it did loads of great things that the iphone didn't (cut n paste!).

I was given an t-mobile mda, but after a while, the POS, slow down my computer, activesync stopped working altogether and my plans to upgrade it to win6 and various fancy stuff from xdadevelopers sank with it - anyway, my treo still... just worked!

Anyhow, the Pre came out and I figured it maybe was time to get something a bit more modern, but I was basically running my life on palmOS and worried about the hassle of migrating. When I read about Classic, I was sold. Then I read about the sale to HP, then lack of support for 1.4.5, but I saw the article about getting Classic to work on 2.0+ - which HP would support and anyway, why not get the newest phone?

So I got a Pre2 from ebay. Whilst waiting for it to arrive, I saw the announcement about HP dropping hardware development etc. Mentally, I shrugged: I have already been happy with a 'dead' platform (palmOS 3.5 - not even 5!). As long as it worked, I didn't care.

So, I really like the pre 2 - yes, the slider feels a little 'loose', but it seems to work pretty well. Can't really compare to Andriod or IOS as I've never really used them.

The thing is, I can't get Classic and there aren't apps to replace all I've been using. Increasingly it looks like rather than being a minority or 'cult' OS, webOS is about to die and the whole cloud thing means it may even become unusable - Palm's old Blazer browser relied on compression servers that were eventually switched off, but the unit continued to function.

OK, finally, here are my two points about keeping webOS alive:

I've read a post that someone has got Android working on a touchpad. I don't know about software, but if this can work, is it so difficult to put webOS on some other, newer hardware? It seems to me that all these phone OS's are unix/linux based... If people want a webOS slab, why not just hack it on to a Galaxy? Perhaps even HP should retain enough developers to make webOS 'portable' the way android started (I know, they also signed agreements!). At least there could be a chance of wider adoption. If HP ARE abandoning webOS, sell it or give it away - has anyone mentioned Ubuntu? I think the guy behind it has deep pockets, or could maybe afford a bargain. Failing that of course, I agree that HP should, if not fully open-source it, then at least allow the homebrew community full access to develop it if thay want.

Secondly, the HP fiasco means that developers are bailing out of the OS. I would like to suggest to Precentral.net and webOS users that we start a campaign to make Classic available again on all iterations of webOS - ideally as a free app. It may be looking backwards to palmOS, but they don't seem to be looking forward and there are still thousands of useful palm apps out there. One way for HP to support their users is to offer this additional functionality - the technology is there on the shelf. Release cost is vitually zero thanks to Arthur Thornton. The apps to replace the ones I was using will probably not be appearing. I expected Classic, I want it and I don't see that it's a big problem to release it. Who agrees with me?

-Preemptive.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I've read a post that someone has got Android working on a touchpad. I don't know about software, but if this can work, is it so difficult to put webOS on some other, newer hardware?
    The main sticker is that it's illegal as WebOS is not Open Source.
  3.    #3  
    You have a point, but windows isn't open source and runs on lot's of different machines. Perhaps my assumption that the underlying kernel was basically open source is wrong, but that doesn't preclude HP from doing the necessary. If they have any plan to continue with webOS, this work will need to be done anyway - it'll have to run on SOME hardware even if HP don't manufacture it.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    but windows isn't open source and runs on lot's of different machines.
    You've lost me - you can install Windows if you have a licence to install it. HP provides no licence for anyone to take the OS and install it on their own machines.

If they have any plan to continue with webOS
    Who knows, looks more doubtful with every day.
  5.    #5  
    This is not an, 'I told you so' post as I had no idea which way things would go, but as they seem to be going in the direction I suggested (well, I'd have prefered massive investment from HP, but this is better than dead), perhaps someone would like to comment further - though I'm about to search the forums for the place where this is no doubt already happening.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/26/2013 at 01:59 PM.