1.    #1  
    Does anybody know the correct options to mount a filesystem that's inside of a disk file?

I created a filesystem inside a disk file. I can mount it like this:

mount <filename> <mount point>

and it mounts and I can put files in the new disk image and everything and all is happy.

The problem is that I cannot figure out the /etc/fstab entry to mount this 'disk'.

I tried putting this entry in /etc/fstab:

<diskfilename> <mountpoint> ext3 rw,loop,auto 0 0

Then when I issue "mount -a", I get:

mount: mounting /dev/loop1 on <mountpoint> failed: Invalid argument

I'm assuming either the filesystem type or the mount options are what's confusing it.

Does anybody know the correct options to mount a filesystem that's inside of a disk file?

TIA
  2.    #2  
    Bump.
    Is the filesystem on the file you're mounting really ext3? Usually images are ISO, so you could try
    Code:
    /images/some_cd.iso  /mount/mounted  udf,iso9660  user,loop  0  0
    I just dug this up from the net. Haven't tried myself.
  4.    #4  
    I created an ext3 filesystem inside a file and now I want to mount it automagically via /etc/fstab.

I can mount it manually, no problem. I can't get it to work from /etc/fstab.

Thanks, though.
    I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I think than when it's an image file instead of a real filesystem on a disk, you should use iso9660. You could also try auto as filesystem. It was mentioned here. It might also be that your fstab line is wrong in some other way.
  6.    #6  
    Tried that, no workie. I tried "iso9660", "auto" and "autofs".

Thanks for the suggestions, though.
  7.    #7  
    Okay, figured it out. Here is the entry for /etc/fstab:

<disk image file> <mountpoint> <filesystem type> loop 0 0

Must leave out 'auto', 'rw', etc....the system figures it out automagically. It seems if anything else is added, it gets all confused.