Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I've doctored a Pre 2 recently and Bing maps was forced down my throat without asking, as the re-install of apps used the latest version of Maps. I have an extract of Google Maps from the 2.1 doctor, so I thought I'd be able to kill Bing by installing that.

BUT BING KEPT COMING BACK. After every re-boot, I'd get re-Binged.

In /usr/palm/applications I just found the directory "com.palm.apps.maps-rebooter". I renamed this to "com.palm.apps.maps-rebooter-suckitbing" (hoping it couldn't be found)and Bing hasn't come back. Yay.

Can anyone suggest a more elegant solution?

Also, I understand they wanted to distibute Enyo, but why did HP make Bing able to self-heal? With no traffic and only US POIs, this update is going to make most European users get rid of their webOS devices post-haste. Example: Bing has my location; I type the name of a local lake...and BING!...I get one in the USA. ***?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    It's ba-aaaa-ack. Help anyone? How an I stop Bing from re-installing itself?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    I've doctored a Pre 2 recently and Bing maps was forced down my throat without asking, as the re-install of apps used the latest version of Maps. I have an extract of Google Maps from the 2.1 doctor, so I thought I'd be able to kill Bing by installing that.

BUT BING KEPT COMING BACK. After every re-boot, I'd get re-Binged.

In /usr/palm/applications I just found the directory "com.palm.apps.maps-rebooter". I renamed this to "com.palm.apps.maps-rebooter-suckitbing" (hoping it couldn't be found)and Bing hasn't come back. Yay.

Can anyone suggest a more elegant solution?

Also, I understand they wanted to distibute Enyo, but why did HP make Bing able to self-heal? With no traffic and only US POIs, this update is going to make most European users get rid of their webOS devices post-haste. Example: Bing has my location; I type the name of a local lake...and BING!...I get one in the USA. ***?
    Some guys discussed side loading Google maps on their Pre3's for the same reasons you mention (I think Bing locates more slowly than Gmaps, and sometimes just plain does not bl***dy locate at all), but with the option of keeping Bing as a separate app.

Do a search of the forums, you should be able to find it. Also, it is discussed in a lot more detail in the German webOS forums. The same thread should mention the Google keywords you need to search for to get the to the right posts.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I have both ipk's, thanks to these nice German, and I've been lending a helping hand to those who ask about them.

The problem is that the one that is supposed to effectively replace Bing (same appID and all that) doesn't "last", as I've said above. After a reboot, Bing somehow comes right back.
    can you doctor back to a point where you don't have the enyo framework installed?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    No. As I wrote above, Bing will install itself with all other apps after you re-enter your profile.
    The key is DON'T replace Bing.

I really don't think you want to replace Bing at all, as Bing installs the Enyo framework.. which, quite frankly, you DO WANT on your phone, whether you realize it or not.

My recommendation is to install using a DIFFERENT app id. This (should) keep GMaps on the device.

Palm really wants Enyo on your phones, and for good reason. IMO, bing maps brings much needed traffic updates to the phone, google or not it is a great feature. You can't replace Bing from what I understand, but sideloading should work in this scenario.

Try installing gmaps using a different app ID. Extract the google maps IPK, and edit the appinfo.json file to change the app ID from com.palm.maps to com.palm.googlemaps and name from maps to google maps. Package it up w/ IPK packager and install; reboot and should remain.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Would it help if you delete Bing maps first before doctoring or installing the ipk?