Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes
    It's a phone for chrissakes... not a deity. Just get one, don't like it, sell it and get another one. How hard can that be?

We don't do the cult thing like Apple does.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    i am also deciding whether to go with ios or android for my next phone. one thing that sways me away from iphone is that you're locked in to itunes, which wouldn't be sooo bad except that it won't install on my computer. another thing that sways me away from iphone is that the google phone is coming out in less than a month with 720p screen.

one thing that sways me toward the iphone though is that i think it's the most reliable smartphone and that most people I know have one and it'd be something to talk about and enjoy together--it seems only people on the internet have androids, haha
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
    Hey,

I am an absolute webOS lover on Sprint. I have had a Pre-, Pixi-, and now Frankenpre 2. I also have the Touchpad that I love (bought days before firesale!) and an AT&T pre 3 that I can't use.. I love the phones - well, actually, the OS - but can't get a Pre 3 on my service (No matter how I ask) and am finding that I, despite everything I thought I believed and stood for, find the new iPhone 4S very, very attractive. I am coming back to this community because I need help. I feel like I should resist the iPhone but I'm getting weak after all the torture HP has put me through. Is there any hope? Has anyone heard anything about the talks this week at HP? Ah, I'm torn inside. Thanks for any help, guys.

~m
    How about because because the iPhone already ruined the Premier program, added an additional $10/month surcharge for everyone on the Sprint network, and, is not covered by the total equipment program. This is just the beginning of crap that the iPhone will bring to Sprint, not to mention a whole new slew of hipster goofballs hanging around the store that I will have to contend with.

I always wanted the ability to get the iPhone on Sprint, then when I realized the cost that it came with, I want it to go away as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I believe we are way beyond that now...
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    How about because because the iPhone already ruined the Premier program, added an additional $10/month surcharge for everyone on the Sprint network, and, is not covered by the total equipment program. This is just the beginning of crap that the iPhone will bring to Sprint, not to mention a whole new slew of hipster goofballs hanging around the store that I will have to contend with.

I always wanted the ability to get the iPhone on Sprint, then when I realized the cost that it came with, I want it to go away as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I believe we are way beyond that now...
    I'll give you that the iPhone ruined the Premier Program, but the $10 a month surcharge was in effect since the Evo launched last year. At first it was only for 4g phones, but then Sprint made it apply to any Smartphone upgrade.

And it does suck that TEP can't be applied to the iPhone, but if you think about it; if you pay $99 upfront for Apple Care, it's actually cheaper than paying $7 a month for insurance over a 2yr contract. And the Apple Care+ will replace the iPhone for $50 as opposed to the $100 we had to pay for replacements under TEP.

The only thing I'll be upset about is if Sprint's network gets crippled like AT&T's did from having so many iPhone users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    The only thing I'll be upset about is if Sprint's network gets crippled like AT&T's did from having so many iPhone users.
    It already is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'll give you that the iPhone ruined the Premier Program, but the $10 a month surcharge was in effect since the Evo launched last year. At first it was only for 4g phones, but then Sprint made it apply to any Smartphone upgrade.

And it does suck that TEP can't be applied to the iPhone, but if you think about it; if you pay $99 upfront for Apple Care, it's actually cheaper than paying $7 a month for insurance over a 2yr contract. And the Apple Care+ will replace the iPhone for $50 as opposed to the $100 we had to pay for replacements under TEP.

Yeah, I have no idea. The AppleCare thing seems like it pretty much sucks. The only time I ever had to pay for a replacement phone using TEP was when I lost my phone, which AppleCare doesn't even cover. I have replaced my Pre like 6 times already because I break it all the time. One time it fell out of my car and I ran over it, I actually brought it into the Sprint store in about 4 pieces, and they gave me a replacement on the spot for free. Basically with TEP you take it to the store and they fix it, if they can't fix it they give you a new one.

This AppleCare+ thing seems like they are charging you $50 for a replacement due to accidental damage (you only get 2) and they will not cover you for lost or stolen phones. It is much different than Sprint TEP...
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I would certainly recommend that you have a look at the iphone and a decent play with one. Lots of nice updates in ios 5 and after using one for a hour, the thing that really impressed me was siri (sp?) I though it would be a gimmick but it is a generation ahead of what is available on other platforms - I put it through a series of tests and it was fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    Yeah, I have no idea. The AppleCare thing seems like it pretty much sucks. The only time I ever had to pay for a replacement phone using TEP was when I lost my phone, which AppleCare doesn't even cover. I have replaced my Pre like 6 times already because I break it all the time. One time it fell out of my car and I ran over it, I actually brought it into the Sprint store in about 4 pieces, and they gave me a replacement on the spot for free. Basically with TEP you take it to the store and they fix it, if they can't fix it they give you a new one.

This AppleCare+ thing seems like they are charging you $50 for a replacement due to accidental damage (you only get 2) and they will not cover you for lost or stolen phones. It is much different than Sprint TEP...
    Yeah, that is true. The $50 replacement is only for accidental damage, it's not exactly the same as TEP. Though I believe that the standard Apple warranty covers fixes & regular replacements. If I'm not mistaken, if anything is wrong with it, you can just take it to the genius bar at an Apple Store and if they can't fix it, they will replace it. And Apple Care+ extends that service an extra year.

If the warranty works this way, than not having TEP isn't that bad; but if it doesn't, it will definitely suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I would certainly recommend that you have a look at the iphone and a decent play with one. Lots of nice updates in ios 5 and after using one for a hour, the thing that really impressed me was siri (sp?) I though it would be a gimmick but it is a generation ahead of what is available on other platforms - I put it through a series of tests and it was fantastic.
    is it very different that google commands that's been on android for awhile?
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    is it very different that google commands that's been on android for awhile?
    I have an android device, it is a world of difference because it is far more natural - just being able to do stuff like "make me an appointment for 2pm tomorrow with Alan smith", "what am I doing today?" or "wake me up at 9am" and so on.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    I drank the koolaid.
    My pre started acting up about 2 months ago. Touchscreen problems.
    Then HP dumped future a future pre. I am on sprint and needed a new phone.
    I got my white iPhone 4s last night. I like it so far.
    I will miss the palm os, used palms/treos/pre for ever.
    But I am rolling with the times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
    Hey,

I am an absolute webOS lover on Sprint. I have had a Pre-, Pixi-, and now Frankenpre 2. I also have the Touchpad that I love (bought days before firesale!) and an AT&T pre 3 that I can't use.. I love the phones - well, actually, the OS - but can't get a Pre 3 on my service (No matter how I ask) and am finding that I, despite everything I thought I believed and stood for, find the new iPhone 4S very, very attractive. I am coming back to this community because I need help. I feel like I should resist the iPhone but I'm getting weak after all the torture HP has put me through. Is there any hope? Has anyone heard anything about the talks this week at HP? Ah, I'm torn inside. Thanks for any help, guys.

~m
    I am surprised you can't use your Pre 3? Was it originally an AT&T phone or a UK?
    After a month or so with a Sprint Franken Pre 2, I was feeling weak as well after Sprint got the iPhone 4S. I read up on the features of the 4S and they sounded pretty cool and very tempting, especially the voice commands.

So I went into my local Sprint store today and played with the 4S. Now I'm not so weak. The UI just did not impress me. Despite all the cutting edge stuff that the iPhone offers, webOS's cards and multitasking still packs a punch. I'm just too attached to one-handed/one-fingered surfing around the apps etc., especially for my most common uses.

Then there's the physical keyboard; could I get used to the virtual keyboard? Maybe, I don't know.

But, finally, there's the almighty TOUCHSTONE! That thought of having to plug in my phone makes me turn up my nose. I mean, I have Touchstones in my home office, my bedroom (with the almighty MODE SWITCHER for nighttime mode), and MY CAR! Nothing better than having the Touchstone sitting right there in my cup holder, stuck on a hockey puck (perfect fit!), where I can glance to see the UI and gesture with ease, and grab and go!

Today it really hit me: why in the world don't the other major smartphone players not create their own versions of the Touchstone?! It seems like such a no-brainer! And why didn't Palm & HP market the hell out of that feature? They should have made them free to all Pre users from the start. DUH!

At this point, anyway, with a new Pre 2, I just can't make the switch. I've even been eligible for a Sprint upgrade for 1 1/2 years!

Not sure what the future will bring, but I'm sitting tight for now.

(Maybe the iPhone 5 will be out next spring, anyway.....?!)
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I was a WebOS devotee for many years, but when HP killed the Touchpad literally days after I bought mine, that was the last straw.

And in the long run, the only person who's really missing out if you stick with a dying OS is you. Hell, I clung to OS/2 for as long as I could when it died. But, technology marches on (unless you happen to be HP and want to roll backwards!), and Apple and other manufacturers are doing some amazing things. Honestly, Siri is amazing on a 'Star Trek' level, it's very impressive technology... and I'm sure it'll be refined in future releases to be even more functional. I find myself wondering now if it'll make its next appearance on the iPad 3. Talk about awesome... we'll see.

Like others have said, find the one that seems to fit what you need, be it an iPhone, Droid, or whatever... and be happy. If WebOS does somehow manage to rise from the ashes of HP's firesale, I'll be one of the first in line to see what comes next. But until then, the iPhone will keep me entertained.
    If I was the OP, and was currently considering an iphone (which i am not, for the record), I would at least hold on to my upgrade and wait it out until the next version, which is surely not far off and will probably not be exclusive to sprint either.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12