Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sara.ramli
  1.    #1  
    I'm wanting to know if any of you are having issues with other apps that used Google Maps since it has now be replaced by Bing. I use WhitePages app on the regular and now it doesn't work properly. It will search for what your looking for but won't locate it on the Bing map. It will give you your current GPS location.

Another app I use is Fandango. It use to use Google Maps by default but it tries to launch Sprint Nav and gives me an address format error. I fixed this by changing my default map to 'Maps' in Device info app.

So anyone else having little issues since this app was installed on any of your location based apps?
    I had issues with Yelp initially, maps won't look up properly, but then I got an update and it was all good.

This is on a Pre 3 though, it came with Bing Maps stock.
  3.    #3  
    found another one...Zip Code Tools. If you try and use the 'directions this location' option you get and error. This is on Sprint Pre- with 1.4.5.
    I don't know for sure that it's related to the Bing Maps update, but I recently noticed on my Pre- that looking up contacts' addresses from within the Sprint Nav app sometimes fails or sometimes uses completely wrong addresses, usually getting the street name right but in the wrong city. Is anyone else encountering this?

Changing the default map application to Sprint Nav and looking up the address from within the Contacts app works, though.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Yea, while I like the update to the Maps app itself, I did notice a few things broke or are missing where Google maps had them:

1. If I click on a google maps link (for example, directions) in an e-mail, it loads up Bing Maps.... but doesn't pre-input anything or load anything. Just opens Bing maps. It should open to the directions screen. Also, ironically enough, if I e-mail a bing maps link to myself from the bing website and click the link in my e-mail.... it opens Bing maps in the web browser, not the maps app. What the hell??

2. Bing Maps directions don't allow you to click the dots on the maps screen to get the direction at that point. You have to go to the directions list. I liked it how it worked on Google Maps where you could click on an intersection (the blue dot), and it would pop up the direction information there.

3. If I open Bing Maps and start typing... nothing happens. I need to click the search box first. Kinda lame...

I guess these are not issues with other apps per se, but still issues that used to not be so there they are.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    My gps no longer works with Bing maps. It is useless.
    the preferences menu of all my apps take the whole width of the top bar now instead of just the left side so I need to go into card view to access middle (today menu) and right hand (device menu) of the top bar. drives me mad
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    the preferences menu of all my apps take the whole width of the top bar now instead of just the left side so I need to go into card view to access middle (today menu) and right hand (device menu) of the top bar. drives me mad
    I guess that's brought in by one of the advanced system menu patches - App Menu. You sure you haven't installed that?
    neit_jnf likes this.
    GAH!!! THANK YOUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

I recently redoctored my Pre2 and reinstalled my patches, I use many of the Advanced Patches and probably installed it without looking! HURRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    I guess that's brought in by one of the advanced system menu patches - App Menu. You sure you haven't installed that?

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    I haven't noticed any real "issues". The GPS still sucks for the most part (Pre 2). Once I get a signal, I'm fine, but have to open/close repeatedly to get it to work. Not Bing's fault. The only other difference I've noticed on mine is that is seems to update my location in larger increments than Google Maps. The GPS was never totally smooth while driving, but Bing Maps jumps a lot more (i.e. it won't update my location at all for 3-4 seconds, then it'll jump ahead to where I actually am). Google maps was still jumpy that way, but seemed to be more like every second or half second.
    other than not finding any addresses that gmaps found I have no problems

but it looks pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    I'm wanting to know if any of you are having issues with other apps that used Google Maps since it has now be replaced by Bing. I use WhitePages app on the regular and now it doesn't work properly. It will search for what your looking for but won't locate it on the Bing map. It will give you your current GPS location.

Another app I use is Fandango. It use to use Google Maps by default but it tries to launch Sprint Nav and gives me an address format error. I fixed this by changing my default map to 'Maps' in Device info app.

So anyone else having little issues since this app was installed on any of your location based apps?
    WhitePages works fine for me. It has it's own built in Google Maps viewer and does not rely on the webOS Maps App.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook