Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    iCloud for iOS5 is "Palm Profile" as it should have been in 2009

    Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

    Palm-Profile functionality
    +App-Data Backup
    +Webaccess for contacts and calendar
    +Mediasharing across devices with same profile
  2. #2  
    I wholly agree with you: webOS is, currently, a couple of generations behind iOS. But I can't help loving it!
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    iCloud for iOS5 is "Palm Profile" as it should have been in 2009

    Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

    Palm-Profile functionality
    +App-Data Backup
    +Webaccess for contacts and calendar
    +Mediasharing across devices with same profile
    Just for clarity, Android has all of these features as well.

    -Suntan
  4. dbodner's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    iCloud for iOS5 is "Palm Profile" as it should have been in 2009

    Apple - iCloud stores your content and pushes it to your devices.

    Palm-Profile functionality
    +App-Data Backup
    +Webaccess for contacts and calendar
    +Mediasharing across devices with same profile
    Keep in mind, we've had a semblance of this since 2009, whereas apple users have been stuck in the "connect cord to computer" era during that time. I had an original Pre-, left it for android 1.5 years ago, and just recently got a Pre 3. Connected, logged into my palm profile, and got all my apps/documents transferred down.

    Really, outside of media sharing, we've had a good working version of this for 2 years.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Just for clarity, Android has all of these features as well.

    -Suntan
    so the gmail account you use saves the app data as well? Even 3rd part apps?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    so the gmail account you use saves the app data as well? Even 3rd part apps?
    You mean like save games and documents edited on word processors? I don’t think it does that, but you can reload actual apps after wiping a phone, or getting a new phone. You can also load apps purchased from the Android Market (or the Amazon App Store) onto all your devices. Alternatively, you can use your PC to select an app from either of those stores and have it “sent” to your android device. (Good for times you are at work and you learn about a new app you want to put on your tablet sitting at home. Just select it from the android/amazon stores, tell it which of your devices to install to and it is installed and ready to go when you get home.)

    Is it expected that icloud will sync things like save games between apple devices in real time, so a person could play a game on their phone when out and about, then pick up from where they left off on their tablet when they get home? That would be a nice feature.

    -Suntan
  7. #7  
    <quote deleted by staff>

    How am i "fooling myself" if i use my phone for calls and a couple of messages/emails? Sorry if i still go vanilla on these type of devices, but i like the way i use my phone and nobody should tell me how to use it.

    Ever since i had my Palm TX, I found myself downloading tons of trials to test different apps for PalmOS 5 and deleting them after a couple of days, since i never really used them... It hasnt changed that much up to this date.

    WebOS is an excellent OS, in fact, the only OS with the better concept, way better than any of other mobile systems out there. Don't fool yourself thinking otherwise. Read carefully, im not saying is perfect and fully polished, of course it has its flaws. Im talking about the concept here. You get it? The concept.

    So for me, having less apps is NOT a big deal. My phone does what i want it to do right out of the box, i dont expect it to do something more!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/14/2011 at 09:18 PM.
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    WebOS is an excellent OS, in fact, the only OS with the better concept, way better than any of other mobile systems out there. Don't fool yourself thinking otherwise. Read carefully, im not saying is perfect and fully polished, of course it has its flaws. Im talking about the concept here. You get it? The concept.
    Of this I disagree. Personally, I have come to appreciate the Android OS more overall for its flexibility than webOS. Now the way webOS handles switching between apps is better than the way android does it, that I agree with, but on the whole I don’t see webOS as better. As for arguing about concepts, I’ve never been able to hold a concept up to my ear, or watch Netflix on a concept. Lastly, the “concept” of webOS as we all know it is MIA. HP sent it out on a suicide mission and they don’t look like they’re going to be sending a rescue team out to find it anytime soon. So why not spend time discussing the “reality” of what webOS is, instead of continually pitting the lofty “concept” of webOS against the real-world faults of other OSs?

    In any case, feel free to hold this personal “opinion” about webOS, but tone down the notion that it is a universally agreed upon fact.

    Finally, from what I see around here after switching to android, there are a lot of people around here that don’t really know the specifics of the other options they have available to them, but act like they know for sure that webOS is better for their needs 100% of the time.

    Only the person can say if they are “fully aware of what they’re missing.” But I tend to agree in spirit with lawtony. From the looks of it around these forums, a good number of people holding out on webOS are ignorant of what their options truly are.

    -Suntan
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    So why not spend time discussing the “reality” of what webOS is, instead of continually pitting the lofty “concept” of webOS against the real-world faults of other OSs?

    In any case, feel free to hold this personal “opinion” about webOS, but tone down the notion that it is a universally agreed upon fact.
    Is almost sure that WebOS is doomed. You just mentioned it, is a known fact. I know that, but I wouldnt describe bringing my opinion for the first time as "continually pitting WebOS" against the competition.

    Maybe you have seen others posting similar pro-webOS comments over here, and I wouldnt be surprised... is a WebOS Community after all. So im not saying everybody agrees with this "fact", just that many feel the same towards this OS discussion for any given reason (weather is a good or a silly reason remains in each's opinion of the other).

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Finally, from what I see around here after switching to android, there are a lot of people around here that don’t really know the specifics of the other options they have available to them, but act like they know for sure that webOS is better for their needs 100% of the time.

    Only the person can say if they are “fully aware of what they’re missing.” But I tend to agree in spirit with lawtony. From the looks of it around these forums, a good number of people holding out on webOS are ignorant of what their options truly are.

    -Suntan
    Believe me, far from being ignorant, i am aware of what options i have, else i wouldnt point out my opinion without knowing how to back it up. I have used an iPhone3GS and an HTC Desire running Android as replacement phones for a couple of weeks (tried one first and then the other right afterwards). I always missed the way WebOS handles the menus, switches between apps, and notifies me about incomming emails/messages without disturbing me with my current task.

    Then again, that is the way i used the phone, so for me the OS in general fits my necessities just perfectly.

    Besides, whats wrong with one guy liking his own Phone? It sure isnt a crime here in Germany .

    And for the record, i do agree that the "concept" of WebOS has never been well executed, but it still is a great alternative to iOS and Droid. Is always nice to have choices
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
    steffej3 likes this.
  10. #10  
    I gave up my Verizon pre plus to go to AT&T so I could use the pre3. For the meantime, i have been using the Samsung galaxy S2 and testing the waters of android. Tried 2 gmail profiles already so I am curious if they save app data like what our save and restore does.

    I will be getting the iPhone 4s this weekend. I have been familiar with iOS since my wife uses an iPad and previously an iphone 3g. Curious as to what ISO 5 will bringing to the mix.

    I have 2 lines so doing my best to weigh my options.

    I will probably keep the pre3 because I have a touchpad. My wife is leaning towards the iPhone 4s because of the "siri" thing. Even tho the galaxy s2 has a comparable feature, plus the fact that she has an ipad2. But that is still up in the air.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    Believe me, far from being ignorant, i am aware of what options i have, else i wouldnt point out my opinion without knowing how to back it up. I have used an iPhone3GS and an HTC Desire running Android as replacement phones for a couple of weeks
    Not to belabor the point, but both of those phones are almost 2 years old. And likely running out of date versions of the OS at the time you tested them vs. what's available today (the HTC Desire didn't even get the GB update in Germany.) Sense (HTCs skin) on the Desire has had 3 revisions since the Desire, not to mention the functionality and look of other other 3 or 4 manjor android manufacturers is quite a bit different than HTCs Sense. So if those two, outdated phones are your comparisons, I would argue that you don't truly know what your options are.

    But that's just the thing, most of the comments around here are based on people's experience with one android or apple phone made a year or more ago. webOS is the only OS that looks just like it did a year ago...

    Finally, it is telling that you named webOSs handling of notifications as a plus. I defy anyone to go try a Droid 3 (Milestone 3 where you live) with its notifications and say it is any less usable than webOS. Aside from the notifications popping up on the top display (so it doesn't reduce screen space when you have one) and having to swipe on the screen instead of tap on the screen to get them to show up once they are minimized; they offer the exact same functionality.

    Anyway, I’m not saying that webOS is a bad choice, but it isn’t worthy of the blind dogma that a lot of the people around here give it. Even if this is a webOS forum.

    -Suntan
  12. #12  
    You are right pointing out what you just wrote.

    First, I made the comparison while I had my Pre battery dead (playing with govnah) a few months after they released here in Germany. So they both were phones that were both comparable to the Pre. I realized, back then, that WebOS was really what I needed and was the only OS that had the features I wanted by that time.

    So I did not look any further after this experience. Why? Because I had exactly what I wanted, even if the other phones got similar, if not better, features afterwards. Because I got used to it and I liked it. Sure is good to have a choice like I said, but is no reason for me to go ahead and make a change. Is like the mouse on a PC and the Magic Trackpad, it sure is a nice change, but many people still use the good old mouse because it is still functional.

    I must admit, I have yet to go and try out this Milestone 3 you mention. But as I told you, WebOS does the job for me right now, and has done it for a while now. I havent seen this "blind dogma" you speak of, but I am not another ******, I speak from my own experience and not with mixed feelings inside my mind.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

    Is it expected that icloud will sync things like save games between apple devices in real time, so a person could play a game on their phone when out and about, then pick up from where they left off on their tablet when they get home? That would be a nice feature.

    -Suntan
    Yup, that functionality is there.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    Because I got used to it...
    This sentiment is one that a lot of people have yet to realize about themselves when they talk endlessly about how webOS is the end-all-be-all of human interface with a mobile gadget. At least you are ahead of the curve in being aware the familiarity is a major reason for staying with what you have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    Is like the mouse on a PC and the Magic Trackpad, it sure is a nice change, but many people still use the good old mouse because it is still functional.
    I liken it more to comparing a trusty old mouse that fits your hand really well and still works, but has a rolling ball interface so it jumps around every time you lift it and you have to open it up and clean the junk out of it every couple of weeks, compared to a new laser mouse that may have a little different feel in the hand, but just does its job without the shackles of the older technology.

    In any case, no big deal. These are just phones. Use the one that works for you.

    -Suntan
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yup, that functionality is there.
    That would be a nice feature.

    ios5 looks to have some good improvements (mostly copied from their competitors.)

    Now that you don't *need* itunes to setup/run an iphone, if they offered a version with external storage and a keyboard I would really consider it as a viable option in the future.

    -Suntan
  16. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #16  
    What I like about iOS5 is that you can back up your contacts/calendar to outlook not just the cloud. Palm/HP eschewed this, requiring 3rd party software. Also there's no simple way to back up and retrieve sms texts if you change webos phones. This is disappointing especially since the treo pro had that capability.
    I will be swallowing the bitter pill of iphone 4s too, because as much as I love webOS it's difficult using a phone that has little accessory support and lacks my most frequently used app epocrates.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    there's no simple way to back up and retrieve sms texts if you change webos phones. This is disappointing especially since the treo pro had that capability.
    sms is backed up and restored using your webos profile when you are on 2.x
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  18. #18  
    iCould I'm sure is going to be very useful. I just don't know how much control Apple is going to have over 3rd party apps and data you want to store in "their" cloud. Also what type of tiered storage plans they will charge. The palm profile, although limited at this point is still at no charge.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post
    How am i "fooling myself" if i use my phone for calls and a couple of messages/emails? Sorry if i still go vanilla on these type of devices, but i like the way i use my phone and nobody should tell me how to use it.

    Ever since i had my Palm TX, I found myself downloading tons of trials to test different apps for PalmOS 5 and deleting them after a couple of days, since i never really used them... It hasnt changed that much up to this date.

    WebOS is an excellent OS, in fact, the only OS with the better concept, way better than any of other mobile systems out there. Don't fool yourself thinking otherwise. Read carefully, im not saying is perfect and fully polished, of course it has its flaws. Im talking about the concept here. You get it? The concept.

    So for me, having less apps is NOT a big deal. My phone does what i want it to do right out of the box, i dont expect it to do something more!
    As a a already 15 years palm loyalist, I totally understand u. I quote your saying before, too.

    Fact is I have download iOS apps that I didn't even think I would use it. Surprisingly, I use many everyday after downloaded.

    It is not about flaws, it is about something that a palm user longing for so...... Long.
    When I bought my ipad2, my inside palm loyal feelings was excused for 50 seconds.
    Ipad2 stole many palmos and webos, yes it did and will do again.But as A user, I discover that I don't and shouldn't care because Apple make them shine. It is enough and important!
  20. #20  
    if you want an alternative to iclouds...

    Box is offering 50GBs of free storage inside its cloud for iOS users

    Box rides on iCloud's coattails, offers 50GB of free cloud storage to iOS users -- Engadget

    <quote deleted by staff>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/14/2011 at 09:24 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions