Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Abyssul
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have quite a few questions regarding the functionality of webos. I'm a long time windows mobile user and there are a few features that I have grown accustomed to. With that being said - I'm trying to see if webos is worth jumping the ship for and see if it has the same or similar functionality that I've grown used to having. Also - I used to own a Treo 650 and some of the call and message management features with the Palm OS are still not matched 'til this day (from what I've been able to toy with when it comes to Android. Not sure about Blackberry OS and I know for sure that Windows Phone 7 or iOS doesn't has them)

So.... here are the questions:
    1) Is there the ability to take/make a note while on a phone call? (or at least an application for it)

2) Can I record phone calls?

3) If I receive a meeting notice/invite via e-mail - will I be able to add that notice/invite to my calendar? (i.e. I'm checking my work e-mail and there's a meeting notice that I need to add to my calendar, will I be able to add that meeting to my phone or do I have to sync my phone with my computer in order to do that?)

3) If there's a phone number in an e-mail, will I be able to call that number directly from within the e-mail? (by way of tapping on the number and the phone application is initiated with the number already pasted and waiting for the user to hit call)

4) speaking of information management - if I dial a number from within an e-mail, will I be able to view the contents of the e-mail within the phone application while on a call? (this is a function that can be done in windows mobile 6.5.x...)

5) Can I send an MMS message without having to attach a file? (meaning - I have a LONG text message I need to compose - but due to the character restriction of messages - the message will be split up and count as either 2 or 3 messages. So as a way around that - I compose an MMS message with all of the text and the message gets counted as one message) Or are there homebrew apps that extend the text messaging/mms messaging capabilities of webos?

6) to expand on messaging capabilities - what type of multimedia files can I attach to an MMS message (i.e. video, picture, audio recording, voice note/memo, contact card, typed note/memo, other misc. files, etc.)

7) Is there a screen capture application?

8) how easy is it to navigate the files stored on the phone?

9) how easy/hard is it to modify (or tinker) with the phone's system settings beyond what is available by default (i.e. modifying the registry in windows mobile...)

10) when I had my tre 650 - there was an application I purchased called Volume Pro or Advanced Volume Pro or something to that nature which was able to increase the volume (speaker and earpiece) on the device beyond what was available by default? Is there a similar application for webos which will 'amplify' the volume beyond that is capable by default? (or is the volume on pre devices (particularly the Pre 3) sufficient enough to where there is no need for such an application)

Lastly - how much of a learning curve is there for someone who's coming from a totally different platform (in this case Windows Mobile 6.5.x) to get acclimated to webos? I'm steadily watching ebay for an HP Pre 3 (on At&T) for a good price (or just biting the bullet and grabbing one for under $250) on that device as I've been 'waiting' for that phone to come out for quite some time (I can't believe HP released the Veer before the Pre3! here in the US)

Thank you all for your input, suggestions, comments, etc. I do appreciate it!!
    Last edited by roallen78; 10/11/2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: correcting myself on features that wp7 & ios do not have
    What a doozy of a first post. Here's my shot. If you need any help, just shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roallen78 View Post
    1) Is there the ability to take/make a note while on a phone call? (or at least an application for it)
    There are plenty of apps for this. The stock memo app will even work. When you are on a phone call, you can multitask in any way (unless you are on a CDMA network so data won't be available unless you are again on WIFI). Just swipe up when on call and open the memo app. It's preferred you turn on speakerphone for this.

2) Can I record phone calls?
    Nope

3) If I receive a meeting notice/invite via e-mail - will I be able to add that notice/invite to my calendar? (i.e. I'm checking my work e-mail and there's a meeting notice that I need to add to my calendar, will I be able to add that meeting to my phone or do I have to sync my phone with my computer in order to do that?)
    webOS is all about the cloud. If you receive a calender details via email, you can input that into the calender app and it will sync to your default account (google, exchange, etc). I don't know the specifics since I don't use the calender.

3) If there's a phone number in an e-mail, will I be able to call that number directly from within the e-mail? (by way of tapping on the number and the phone application is initiated with the number already pasted and waiting for the user to hit call)
    Yes provided that the number is formatted correctly. It works similar with websites as well (google especially). Apps also have this functionality.

4) speaking of information management - if I dial a number from within an e-mail, will I be able to view the contents of the e-mail within the phone application while on a call? (this is a function that can be done in windows mobile 6.5.x...)
    If you hit the phone number in the email, the phone app will pop up with the number preloaded. The email app is still in the card stack and can be accessed at any time. While on call, you would just swipe up to go into card view and tap the email app that contains your email.

5) Can I send an MMS message without having to attach a file? (meaning - I have a LONG text message I need to compose - but due to the character restriction of messages - the message will be split up and count as either 2 or 3 messages. So as a way around that - I compose an MMS message with all of the text and the message gets counted as one message) Or are there homebrew apps that extend the text messaging/mms messaging capabilities of webos?
    You can't force a MMS message. I understand the reasoning behind it too. There are plenty of messaging capability enhancements in the Preware feed under Messaging. It will make your phone feel completely different if configured right.

6) to expand on messaging capabilities - what type of multimedia files can I attach to an MMS message (i.e. video, picture, audio recording, voice note/memo, contact card, typed note/memo, other misc. files, etc.)
    Stock - Pictures and Videos only
    Patched - Any file (I believe) depending on what version you are running
    To clear things up, I would suggest just sending it via email because MMS has very small size restrictions.

7) Is there a screen capture application?
    Screen capture is built in. There is no app. You just press Orange/Grey key + Sym + P simultaneously.

8) how easy is it to navigate the files stored on the phone?
    In regards to the actual OS, you use the Videos app for videos, Photos app for photos, and Music app for music (for files the OS supports). Office files are handled via the QuickOffice app (no editing solution unless you are on the TP), and PDF's via Adobe Reader or PDF view (based on OS version)

In regards to a file viewer, you would have to install Internalz from Preware to navigate the OS files and USB drive. If the device is a Touchpad, you can navigate with the Gemini or Internalz app from the App Catalog.

9) how easy/hard is it to modify (or tinker) with the phone's system settings beyond what is available by default (i.e. modifying the registry in windows mobile...)
    Tinkering the phone's settings couldn't be any easier with Preware. You install the patch, restart Luna (soft reboot), and voila. The patches modify the OS files to implement the patches functionality.

10) when I had my tre 650 - there was an application I purchased called Volume Pro or Advanced Volume Pro or something to that nature which was able to increase the volume (speaker and earpiece) on the device beyond what was available by default? Is there a similar application for webos which will 'amplify' the volume beyond that is capable by default? (or is the volume on pre devices (particularly the Pre 3) sufficient enough to where there is no need for such an application)
    The speakers on all the devices are adequate, but not exceptional. There is a patch for increasing the volume in the speakers, but you are more than likely going to blow the speakers very easily and I would not recommend it (from personal experience.

More info here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ll-volume.html

Lastly - how much of a learning curve is there for someone who's coming from a totally different platform (in this case Windows Mobile 6.5.x) to get acclimated to webos? I'm steadily watching ebay for an HP Pre 3 (on At&T) for a good price (or just biting the bullet and grabbing one for under $250) on that device as I've been 'waiting' for that phone to come out for quite some time (I can't believe HP released the Veer before the Pre3! here in the US
    webOS is a new experience over other OS's, especially for WM6.5. Stick around with this community and you will learn more every day about your phone. When you get an actual device in your hands, it will all make sense.

Here are some useful links:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...life-tips.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...-pre-pixi.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...e-welcome.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-t...es-themes.html
    http://www.precentral.net/tips

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    roallen78 likes this.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    What a doozy of a first post. Here's my shot. If you need any help, just shoot me a PM.

There are plenty of apps for this. The stock memo app will even work. When you are on a phone call, you can multitask in any way (unless you are on a CDMA network so data won't be available unless you are again on WIFI). Just swipe up when on call and open the memo app. It's preferred you turn on speakerphone for this.

Nope

webOS is all about the cloud. If you receive a calender details via email, you can input that into the calender app and it will sync to your default account (google, exchange, etc). I don't know the specifics since I don't use the calender.

Yes provided that the number is formatted correctly. It works similar with websites as well (google especially). Apps also have this functionality.

If you hit the phone number in the email, the phone app will pop up with the number preloaded. The email app is still in the card stack and can be accessed at any time. While on call, you would just swipe up to go into card view and tap the email app that contains your email.

You can't force a MMS message. I understand the reasoning behind it too. There are plenty of messaging capability enhancements in the Preware feed under Messaging. It will make your phone feel completely different if configured right.

Stock - Pictures and Videos only
    Patched - Any file (I believe) depending on what version you are running
    To clear things up, I would suggest just sending it via email because MMS has very small size restrictions.

Screen capture is built in. There is no app. You just press Orange/Grey key + Sym + P simultaneously.

In regards to the actual OS, you use the Videos app for videos, Photos app for photos, and Music app for music (for files the OS supports). Office files are handled via the QuickOffice app (no editing solution unless you are on the TP), and PDF's via Adobe Reader or PDF view (based on OS version)

In regards to a file viewer, you would have to install Internalz from Preware to navigate the OS files and USB drive. If the device is a Touchpad, you can navigate with the Gemini or Internalz app from the App Catalog.

Tinkering the phone's settings couldn't be any easier with Preware. You install the patch, restart Luna (soft reboot), and voila. The patches modify the OS files to implement the patches functionality.

The speakers on all the devices are adequate, but not exceptional. There is a patch for increasing the volume in the speakers, but you are more than likely going to blow the speakers very easily and I would not recommend it (from personal experience.

More info here:

webOS is a new experience over other OS's, especially for WM6.5. Stick around with this community and you will learn more every day about your phone. When you get an actual device in your hands, it will all make sense.

Here are some useful links:
    Thank you very much for your lengthy reply! I'm about this close to getting a Pre 3 from e-bay. I'm trying to go through some of the forums and review articles just to make sure I'm making a sound investment (before I hit the Pay Now button :-) )

Also - thanks for the links on increasing the call volume (not sure how applicable that is to the Pre 3 and webos 2.x. I'll have to go through the entire thread - just read the first few posts) and for the links at the end of the post. I'll have to go through those as well! Once/should I get the Pre 3 and if I have any questions - I'll be sure to PM you (thanks for the offer)