Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    I would love that but its not that simple.

webOS needs to be finished, optimized first. Polished in every single area.

Then it needs to be repackaged not to look like "that failed" OS. And maybe a name change. That would not be easy cause Peter Skillman is a Nokia guy now, I have yet to see a artist tha can play UI game on the same level as he.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    webOS is dead. It pains me to say it. I bought a Pre- when it came out. I stood in line for a touchpad. I bought a Pre 3 off ebay and changed carriers. But it's dead. Enjoy the devices and apps that you currently have, and expect nothing more from the future. That's the easiest way to enjoy the wonderful OS you currently get to experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But how many units of webOS would they have to sell make that a more attractive propostion than selling android phones and simply paying Microsoft?
    Sony would never sell enough webOS phones to make up for the lost profit of not selling Android devices, even if they wind up paying Microsoft. Sony could stop paying Microsoft by selling only Linux PCs, but they wouldn't sell very many.

It's not just the phones and the brand that are attractive to people, it's the also OS on the phones.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    If Sony were to buy WebOS (which is a long shot), it would be because they want to control the operating system and not have other people producing equivalent devices. Because they want to be an Apple and not an HTC. This is an expensive and long-term vision, I don't know that Sony has that kind of focus. Probably not. But they do have a long history of making everything their own proprietary locked-in way.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Interesting to note that the quote that got everyone excited is half a quote - what Stringer actually said about WebOS was "We never say never, but we're not thinking about it at the moment."

So Sony aren't interested either.
    *My* first thought on reading about this deal was, "Could *Ericsson*, holding $1.5 billion of buyout money and no longer bound to Sony's mobile OS plans, buy webOS?"

What say you? {Jonathan}
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    *My* first thought on reading about this deal was, "Could *Ericsson*, holding $1.5 billion of buyout money and no longer bound to Sony's mobile OS plans, buy webOS?"

What say you? {Jonathan}

No - the reason they allowed the buyout is that they want to get out of the handset market and are concentrating on fundamentals around wireless connectivity.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234