Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Couldn't agree more with the OP! That being said it excites me to see some of my favorite webOS features resurrected into to 4.0. To the guy who made the comment about the face recognition app, I actually use a 3rd party one on my tbolt to secure my information and it takes a bit of face training but once that's done the phone will instantly unlock... Way faster than you would be able to unlock it manually and way more secure. The galaxy nexus will be my next for sure! Now back to enjoying my newly updated dead platform touchpad ;-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the OP! That being said it excites me to see some of my favorite webOS features resurrected into to 4.0. To the guy who made the comment about the face recognition app, I actually use a 3rd party one on my tbolt to secure my information and it takes a bit of face training but once that's done the phone will instantly unlock... Way faster than you would be able to unlock it manually and way more secure. The galaxy nexus will be my next for sure! Now back to enjoying my newly updated dead platform touchpad ;-)

Name of the app please
    sent from my thunderbolt
    What surprises me are how many webOS users never realized that the same guy who came up with the card metaphor and not just use of, but reliance on gesture/swipe interaction model in webOS is now the guy over there directing the show at Google on the Android team:

Mathias Duarte.

And anyone who thought that he, once he had enough time with Android, wouldn't undeniably influence its user experience model toward webOS and swipe/gesture-based interaction wasn't paying attention. Hell, he barely had time to decorate his desk before Honeycomb had to ship. With Android 4.0, he finally had the time he needed to do it right.

ICS is rapidly shaping up to be the first in a long line of updates to Android that simply build on the design philosophy Duarte began with webOS.
    slbailey1, Vij and ohiomoto like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    What surprises me are how many webOS users never realized that the same guy who came up with the card metaphor and not just use of, but reliance on gesture/swipe interaction model in webOS is now the guy over there directing the show at Google on the Android team:

Mathias Duarte.

And anyone who thought that he, once he had enough time with Android, wouldn't undeniably influence its user experience model toward webOS and swipe/gesture-based interaction wasn't paying attention. Hell, he barely had time to decorate his desk before Honeycomb had to ship. With Android 4.0, he finally had the time he needed to do it right.

ICS is rapidly shaping up to be the first in a long line of updates to Android that simply build on the design philosophy Duarte began with webOS.
    That's a good point that I think a lot of people overlook. Android 4.0 is the natural evolution of the things Matias showed us at CES 2009, not webOS 2.x and 3.x.
    dadueler likes this.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    What surprises me are how many webOS users never realized that the same guy who came up with the gesture/swipe interaction model in webOS is now the guy over there directing the show at Google on the Android team.
    I knew, who knew how long it would take to have a market impact. For instance from This Is My Next on unified inbox: "it's harder than you think". It's not all there but like you said, it's coming and it's coming fast.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If you watched the live webcast remember Matias said this is just a first step. So I expect Android to become more webOSy in the future.
    No, no, no.....

webOS is the way it is because of Matias Duarte.

Android is becoming the way it is because of Matias Duarte.

Android does not look webOSy -- Android is starting to look Duartey.
    Quote Originally Posted by markm2179 View Post
    Is it just me or the Samsung Galaxy Nexus looks like it is a webOS device? It reminds me of the Touchpad, Pre 3 and of course that slate rumor pic we saw before.

Galaxy Nexus: The First Ice Cream Sandwich Android Phone Has a Killer 720p Screen (Updated)
    It definitely looks similar to the rumored webOS phone from earlier this year.

Galaxy Nexus

Rumored webOS slate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    No, no, no.....

webOS is the way it is because of Matias Duarte.

Android is becoming the way it is because of Matias Duarte.

Android does not look webOSy -- Android is starting to look Duartey.
    Mikey,
    Nobody cares what you call it but it's what people on this site want and that's the point.
    ohiomoto likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Im sure its better that any webos device build quality.
    I'm sure it's better than most Android devices.
    I think android already has 'synergy'.
    If by synergy you mean contact info from various sources.
    May be not android, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $samsung$ $galaxy$, $bada$ $can$ $sync$ $contact$ $from$ $google$, $facebook$, $etc$.
    Only the messaging is not like webos.
    Or Am I missing something? I'm webos newbie.
    What I saw is more complex UI, and it really not even close with webOS. Android 4.0 may copy 'cards' from webOS including swipe to close app, but other then that I really don't like it. I prefer simple UI but yet very elegant to use. And it is what WebOS have. Cards & stack! None can beat it. I don't even like any widget on my screen. It is useless! & old fashioned.

jetsetter883 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't mind people stealing from webOS, because when I need to get another phone, I want it to work as well as webOS does for me... but someone needs to steal Synergy already.
    Try Windows phone 7. They did a pretty damn good job of stealing Synergy... and took it much further. : /.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I prefer simple UI but yet very elegant to use. And it is what WebOS have. Cards & stack!
    I always thought having to have apps visible to have them running seemed rather in-elegant. Why should I have to have the Maps app open and visible on the screen just so I can have it open instantly and already know right where I am when I do want to use it?

Horses for courses I guess.

I don't even like any widget on my screen. It is useless! & old fashioned.
    FWIW, you don't have to have any widgets on your screen. Android is still fully functional without any widgets.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well Matias Duarte is there at Google now...
    Right. It's not exactly a leap to assume he would incorporate some of that in there. Heck, I'd assume it's why he's there.
    somewhat visually improved, but still rather ugly and cluttered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I always thought having to have apps visible to have them running seemed rather in-elegant. Why should I have to have the Maps app open and visible on the screen just so I can have it open instantly and already know right where I am when I do want to use it?

Horses for courses I guess.

FWIW, you don't have to have any widgets on your screen. Android is still fully functional without any widgets.

-Suntan

Yes, I know Android can do without widget, I already played many many Android phone, but what's the point of it? Android without widget?. I prefer other OS, such iOS or webOS.. no widget, it is still beautifull and attractive

If you don't like apps open, then swipe to close it.. same with Android can do without widget right?
    Last edited by The Bard; 10/22/2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    It definitely looks similar to the rumored webOS phone from earlier this year.

Galaxy Nexus
    Click to view quoted image

Rumored webOS slate
    Click to view quoted image
    I think it is Pre 3 with a bit (not proportions) resized

Up till now no prototype showed, so I bet it is Pre 3.

Nexus Galaxy is a huge phone.. or it is NOT a phone at all... because not pockatable.. I think it can be called small tablet phone.

The big question now is WHY Android phone always tend to be bigger and bigger? is bigger better?... I found iPhone 4S already sold 1 millions in a week without need of bigger size.

Mathias Duarte.

I agree. ICS is the first OS that has me considering my options. I LOVE my overclocked Pre Plus, but would prefer a slab for my needs. My wife has a Samsung Fascinate that is nice, but I'm not impressed with the UI. Played with the iPhone 4s and wasn't blown away.

Duarte's influence on ICS has caught my interest. If HP isn't able to do something with webOS in the near future I'll be looking at ICS options. That doesn't mean I wouldn't migrate back to webOS in the future IF it survives, but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait around. From what I can tell webOS is still much more elegant than ICS, but I'm sure ICS will continue to improve under Duarte's watch.

I also have a Touchpad and while I enjoy it, I'm still ****ed that HP spent all their webOS resources rushing it to market. Now I have a half-baked tablet (something I still consider a luxury/novelty item) when I REALLY WANTED a new webOS phone. They should have released a couple of killer phones while they put the finishing touches on the Touchpad. I think HP dropped the ball on that one.

Actually HP dropped the ball on everything webOS. The way they devalued webOS before trying to sell it...pretty much everything they do with with webOS seems wrong. The Touchpad has a fricking "home" button for god's sake! A "HOME" button webOS device? REALLY HP????
    Nexus Galaxy is a huge phone.. or it is NOT a phone at all... because not pockatable.. I think it can be called small tablet phone.

The big question now is WHY Android phone always tend to be bigger and bigger? is bigger better?...
    Sort of like trucks! LOL

Actually, I've had a chance to pocket a few of these BIG phones and was surprised that they didn't bother me at all. My wife's phone is so thin that I noticed it in my pocket less than my Pre Plus. The Galaxy Nexus might have gone to far, but I will say that once I get a 4"+ screen on a phone I'll have no use for my Touchpad. I'll use my phone for most things and grab the laptop if I need to do more. So I'll take the largest screen I can comfortably hide in my pocket.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast