webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Errors indicating a disc write problem
Errors indicating a disc write problem

Old 10/04/2011, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

i had some errors indication a write problem to the filesystem on webos (disk full):

- on patch installations i saw "sed write errors"
- App catalog updates were hanging/stalling , download would not start and trying to resume download constantly and no stopping possible
-on adding a new account Or even changing password of existing googleaccount ended up with unknown error or write error (trying to add gtalk-account of messaging plugin)
-devicestarts even ended up in hanging on the hp logo before the pumping (luna hang?) - and only went through after serveral tries (battery in/out at different times of booting or using OPT+SYM+R)
- installing or starting homebrew apps could fail when they are jailed using /var/palm/jail/ (e.g. Mojowhatsup)

After asking in irc chan of webos-internals they suggested looking for a disc full problem.
with sdl terminal i did a df > dfree.txt and saw that /var/log was 100% full (you can ignore those nearly full /var/palm/jail... entries)

after a:
cd /var
du -smx *

i found out which dir to search for the big files and in my case it was /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db which was 40MB big

i deleted it after asking in the irc and after a straight reboot it was all up and running.

thx to the guys in the irc

Last edited by gizmo21; 04/22/2013 at 02:30 AM.
gizmo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by MrGan, Nick31, somline
Old 10/05/2011, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't say it often enough how I love members posting such tips even though I don't have this problem (yet). Thanks.
Old 10/05/2011, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

[Offtopic] here is another one:
http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3193527

Last edited by gizmo21; 10/14/2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10/14/2011, 04:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

after examing the 40MB /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db, i found out that there were hundreds of entries of the openstreetview tile-downloader used by the smart caching option of maptool pro.
So I did download the whole island of Elba just before going there on a holiday bike trip, so it was me activley downloading those thousands of files to have them offline with me.

But why is maptool saving those in the /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db, or why is webos not deleting it after some time (if space gets low there).

I remembering others complaining about slowing down of devices because of the smartchaching of maptools pro, but perhaps this comes not from the number of files downloaded to /media/internals/.MapTool, but because the downloadhistory.db gets crowded.

Just wanted to share this information, i'll PM Metaview about it, for me a deleting of /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db + restart did the job, but is there a way this history cleans automatically after some time (or filesize)?

Here is one of the entries:

Code:
de.metaviewsoft.maptoolpro 1232wificompleted{ "ticket": 5368, "url": "http:\/\/a.tile.opencyclemap.org\/cycle\/16\/34606\/24140.png", "sourceUrl": "http:\/\/a.tile.opencyclemap.org\/cycle\/16\/34606\/24140.png", "deviceId": "", "authToken": "", "destTempPrefix": ".", "destFile": "24140.png", "destPath": "\/media\/internal\/.MapTool\/16\/34606\/", "mimetype": "image\/png", "amountReceived": 103, "amountTotal": 103, "canHandlePause": false, "completionStatusCode": 200, "interrupted": false, "completed": true, "aborted": false, "target": "\/media\/internal\/.MapTool\/16\/34606\/24140.png" }
As a personal comment it was quite a bad timing that my device failed me, cause it just happend in my holidays in a foreign country having no computer at hand, so i was stuck with a not rebooting device, not able to use it as gps navigation. Just as tip for others - after downloading a whole country into Maptools Pro, be sure to look for the /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db if it has grown to big, before leaving to a country without chance to fix your device.

Last edited by gizmo21; 10/14/2011 at 04:29 AM.
Thanked By: jblather
Old 10/14/2011, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting. MapTool Pro does nothing unusual, except downloading many tiles. I use it everyday since the beginning and never run into this issue. But I will check mydownloadhistory.db too. Actually I can't even see a good reason for the OS to log all downloads made by the downloadmanager...
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the same problem. /var/file-cache and /var filled up causing weird problems. Apps just failed to load, esp games. Preware had database errors, Sports Illustrated App loads, but has strange behavior. Took me two or three days to figure this out.

I also have MapTools Pro, but didn't know that it was what was filling up the /var filesystem.

I also found that /var/file-cache/attachments was taking up most of the space in /var/file-cache filesystem.

FYI, here is a list of symptoms I encountered over the last two or three days that I attribute to one or more filesystems filling up:

Sports Illustrated app launched but failed to load completely
None of the games (about 11 of them) would start.
Skype couldn't log in ("Unknown error)
Preware had database errors, screen captures wouldn't save to flash
Couldn't save edited files
Xecutah/Xterm wouldn't start unless immediately after a full reboot
Sound failure (restarting pulseaudio didn't help - only a full reboot)
Govnah/uberkernel would always go back to Palm Default after reboot.
Couldn't turn airplane mode on
etc.

So, I'm wondering what the heck with this? Why HP didn't have some automated way to handle fs full errors? Pretty lame.
jblather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Good to see i'm not the only one, bad for you experiencing the same troubles i had.
I do still have audio fail after restarts, but "PulseAudio Restarter" fixes till the next restart.
Old 10/19/2011, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok, I am not too bright about these things. I am having the same problem as the other people in this forum bout this error. Was a fix posted in this thread? If there was a post I probably did not understand :-)

anyone can please it in layman terms? :-)
Old 10/19/2011, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

The problem is that one of the filesystems is full. To fix, you need to find out the unnecessary files and delete them.
Old 10/20/2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

This thread and This one are the same problem http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3212313

It seems that apps that download a lot of files or create a lot of db log entries are filling up var. Sounds like we need an App or a Patch to help us figure out what "unnecessary files" are.
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes, I agree. These may be all the symptoms of the same problem.

The problem, I think, is that some Apps generate a lot of data. Only the Apps know what is necessary or not.
Old 10/20/2011, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

MapTool Pro does not generate any of these entries by its own. It reports some log entries which goes into /var/log/messages but will be discarded after some time (the system creates quite more entries). The logging which seems to happen for each download is not requested by MapTool Pro.

Maybe someone with Linux knowledge can say something about the importance of stuff inside standard /var folders.
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2011, 02:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

OK, so I am getting the "No space left" error when I try to install uberkernal. I have 21GB available, I am running 3.0.4 and I have not installed CM on my Touchpad, and I don't have maptoolspro. On the advice of another thread, I checked the available space on my partitions (see attached) Now I am in no way a programer, It sounds like, based on this thread, I have somehow filled up some backend folder with unnecessary files, and I just have to clear it out. The problem is, if that is the case, I have no idea how to do this or what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xserver_2011-21-10_220941.jpg (95.4 KB, 16 views) Email Attachment
Old 10/22/2011, 03:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

You already posted this in another thread.
Old 10/22/2011, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblather View Post
You already posted this in another thread.
Sorry, I panicked
Old 10/23/2011, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamponephoto View Post
OK, so I am getting the "No space left" error when I try to install uberkernal. I have 21GB available, I am running 3.0.4 and I have not installed CM on my Touchpad, and I don't have maptoolspro. On the advice of another thread, I checked the available space on my partitions (see attached) Now I am in no way a programer, It sounds like, based on this thread, I have somehow filled up some backend folder with unnecessary files, and I just have to clear it out. The problem is, if that is the case, I have no idea how to do this or what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated
After a romp through directories in another thread that yielded nothing useful

"Not Enough Space to Download" after 3.0.4

I decided to man up and take a trip to the doctor (not as scary as I thought, just time consuming) I am feeling much better now. Everything seems to be in order, uberkernal is running on 3.0.4 and I am getting a lithium benchmark of 97. Overall I am a happy camper. Thanks for everyone's help! WebOS really does have an awesome community
Old 04/22/2013, 02:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

updated first post with info on jailed apps

Tags
database error, unknown error, write error

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0