Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GoBears
  1.    #1  
    Dear Meg Whitman,

Please, don't drop HP webOS, the TouchPad, and HP's excellent hardware products, because

1. We now know that HP's decision to drop hardware was made by a disgraced CEO (Leo Apotheker) and a dysfunctional Board of Directors (see New York Times, Sept 22, "Voting to Hire a Chief Without Meeting Him"). It was a dumb idea then; it is a dumb idea now.
    2. HP just "spent" around $300,000,000 to flood the market with TouchPads, by selling them at fire-sale prices. This is a rare market opportunity, and you must take advantage of it. The TouchPad is currently the second most popular pad on the market. There is soooo much you can do if you strike right now.
    3. It is a silly idea that HP can't make a profit with computer hardware, which was Leo's main argument for HP to dump its hardware lines. Just look at Apple. They seem to do just fine selling hardware. The reason HP's hardware is not profitable is because you need better marketing. HP has a great reputation and a long history of excellent products, and you need to take advantage of that.
    4. No one will buy the Palm product line at a price favorable to HP. There would be no continuity or goodwill. If Amazon, for example, were to come out with the TouchPad 2, there would be no history to tie it to Palm and the TouchPad 1. They would have to start from scratch building a market. HP already has bought (at $300,000,000--see above) a market. HP and only HP can capitalize on this.
    5. If HP wants to follow Leo's idea, and become a big enterprise solutions vendor, products like the TouchPad fit in perfectly into that strategy. If you have a cloud, you need something to connect to it. Why sell HP enterprise solutions, and then send your customers to Apple or Lenovo or Dell to buy the hardware needed to support the solution?
    6. Bonus. The TouchPad was designed to integrate with HP's printer line, and I don't believe there are any plans to dump HP's printer line. This feature will not transfer if someone else buys the TouchPad hardware line, because they will want to integrate all printers, not just HP's, and HP will lose their proprietary advantage.

Meg, I'll bet there are plenty of people inside HP telling you exactly the same thing I just said above. Listen to them. Strike now! HP has already gambled over $12,000,000,000 on Autonomy, so you can certainly afford a measly few hundred millions on an outstanding product line like webOS and the TouchPad. Let's kick Leo's ghost right in the soft-ware.
    Last edited by GoBears; 10/05/2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    culip likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Amazon just kill all the 10 inch non-ipad tablets (RIM can still eke out a small profit on fire sale Playbook because it's a 7 incher).
    Um, not everyone wants a 7-inch tablet that is feature-barren and plastered with an inflexible Amazon UI. They will sell a ton, but it's not going to kill the already-niche market for full-fledged Android tablets.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It's dead because the 10 incher will have to drop prices --- and they already have razor thin margins to begin with.
    If you want a 10.1" tablet, you'll have to pay more. No one I know wants a 7" tablet, and if those people want a bigger screen with an unmolested version of Honeycomb, they will pay more. Currently, you can purchase a Toshiba Thrive for $379, when it was $429 on launch. Prices were on the way down even before the Fire. There is a market for tablets like that, but if you want to believe there will no longer be full-featured 10.1" Android tablets, be my guest.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It's unmolested because honeycomb is close source. It's going to be molested when Google releases the ICS source code.
    Actually, tablet manufacturers are allowed access to the code, it's just not AOSP for non-manufacturers to tinker with. Samsung has released an optional TouchWiz interface for their tablet, but everyone else has left it almost stock, with some tweaks here and there.

If I were in the market for a new tablet, and the gulf between a 7-inch tablet with no camera, bluetooth, sd card support, etc and a full-featured 10.1-inch tablet was only $180, I know what I'd choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Amazon just kill all the 10 inch non-ipad tablets (RIM can still eke out a small profit on fire sale Playbook because it's a 7 incher).
    That's where the TouchPad Go (should have) come in.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    If I were in the market for a new tablet, and the gulf between a 7-inch tablet with no camera, bluetooth, sd card support, etc and a full-featured 10.1-inch tablet was only $180, I know what I'd choose.
    The difference is only $180 because the 10 inchers are a massive failure (and they have to get rid of them off their inventory) and the manufacturers are going to be very gun shy the second time around.
    I guess you weren't around when the Transformer was first released Price it right (as Asus did at $399), and there will be demand. I suppose the 10-inchers are such a massive failure that no one continued to release them. Oh wait ...

Now the Xoom, yes, massive failure. Overpriced, incomplete, a disaster by most accounts. Other tablet makers learned their lesson and priced accordingly. There will always be a market for low, mid, and high-end versions of an item. Just because one appears at a rock-bottom price doesn't mean the other tiers are dead.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The Transformer sales figure is nothing but hype. There was never any public filing about sales figures. It was "sold out" in a bunch of internet store with limited inventory.
    Yes, little internet stores known as "Best Buy" and "Amazon" sold out minutes after it went on sale in the US, and you know how they only order a few pieces of any hot item (yes, the TF was a hot item, having almost immediately sold out of its European stock a few weeks prior).

Asustek Transformer shipments top 400,000 units a month

Yeah, it's not selling well at all ...

All I'm saying is that there is room for all different types of tablets. The Fire will appeal to those who don't expect much from their tablet, and for those that do, there are higher-end models available for not much more. The Fire isn't going to kill anything -- however it might raise visibility for non-iPad tablets, so that's good.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Shipment numbers --- from unreliable taiwanese press --- taken from parts makers.