Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #41  
    ^ I don't think it would be so hard...once it's open sourced, it's open sourced. Everyone would love to play with that.

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Even if HP open source webOS, nothing is going to happen. There exists perfectly fine open source mobile platforms like LiMo that handset manufacturers have board of director seats --- and they still don't use it.

Your volunteer work is going to be better spent in other open source projects.
    Okay, so you're saying that there's other tablet multitouch platforms that can go on my HP Touchpad, besides Android? Really? Cause I'd LOVE to know...

:0 .......
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/06/2011 at 07:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    ^ I don't think it would be so hard...once it's open sourced, it's open sourced. Everyone would love to play with that.
    And once it is open sourced, nothing happens. There are a zillion dead open source projects out there.

10+ years of open source now, and you should know better.
    Does it really require to be open source to be ported to other devices?

The actual ability to port WEBOS to other devices would mean more revenue for HP as people would be able to buy apps from the catalogue and more over since the user base would grow it would also mean this would increase the value of the WEBOS asset for HP to sell off...

Would they really want to prevent that?

I understand the board and senior management don't get it... But are they stupid enough to prevent a sellable asset to become more valuable? (Well OK maybe they are... Nevermind)
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    (1) apple's app store breaks even.
    (2) having webos source code does not mean that you can put it into other devices --- device drivers are proprietary, radio stacks are proprietary...
    (3) smartphone users are growing into hundreds of millions of users. Doubling current webos users would still mean that they will continue to lose massive amount of market share.

The webos source code is worth NOTHING at this point. The only things that are valuable are the patents and the engineers.

WebOS fans should remember the history of Palm.

Palm bought Be Inc. 10 years ago --- only for the engineers. They never even touched BeOS because it was worthless.
    Let me be clear. Because Android is open source it is essentially a hack job. Its security holes are everywhere and phone are bricked and hacked every second or everyday leaving their owners liable. For a platform that advertises to be about business this is a bad idea.

The answer is to open up it for hardware customization.(So essentially licencing.)
    Open Source is a very bad and dangerous idea.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Let me be clear. Because Android is open source it is essentially a hack job. Its security holes are everywhere and phone are bricked and hacked every second or everyday leaving their owners liable. For a platform that advertises to be about business this is a bad idea.

The answer is to open up it for hardware customization.(So essentially licencing.)
    just like microsoft windows then? Being open source has nothing to do with it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Something224 View Post

Says webos with an open source linux kernel and with emphasis for an OS built as a browser (that is also based on open source webkit). What changing to an non-official kernel on the TouchPad?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Essentially, would open sourcing WebOS increase it's value, or decrease it's value?

Do you want to take it out into the big bad tablet playground? Or keep it in the playpen?
    The source code has no value to begin with. The last time Palm was shopped around, the companies who kicked the tires (apple, google and rim) were looking to buy Palm for their patents.

What is the value of an OS that emphasize it's OS as a web browser --- with a web browser that is massively slower than everybody else's browser.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123