Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #21  
    WebOS has been on the market longer than the Touchpad itself.

    Give the Touchpad ultimate power. Open Source it. Support it.

    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    I won't go that far.

    For the last 10 years, there are only 2 categories of open source --- (1) small start-ups want to make a name out of themselves to get the PRPRPR $to$ $get$ $venture$ $capital$ $and$ $IPO$'$s$ $and$ ($2$) $big$ $giants$ $like$ $IBM$ $using$ $their$ $open$ $source$ $projects$ $to$ $bash$ $their$ $competitors$' $proprietary$ $solutions$.

    Can't blame HP for not open sourcing webos --- because it doesn't fit in either of the 2 categories. They are a for profit company after all, and it serves them zero purpose for open sourcing webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If HP open source webos, who is going to control it? HP.
    Exactly. They're perfect for the job. It would require them to do nothing. Which they do very well.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/04/2011 at 05:19 PM.
  2. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Exactly. They're perfect for the job. It would require them to do nothing. Which they do very well.
    Handset makers won't even take a look at the webos open source project because they don't have a seat on the governing foundation. Just look at the brouhaha behind Apache storming out Java standards org. The things that matter in an open source project --- is under what license and under what foundation governance.

    Handset makers have their seats on the governing board of directors of LiMo --- and they still don't use LiMo on their phones.
  3. #23  
    The 'OS' in 'webOS' stands for 'Operating System.'

    Just like the 'OS' in 'DOS' stands for 'Operating System.'

    Just like the 'OS' in 'iOS' stands for 'Operating System.'

    Never has it ever meant 'Open Source,' nor was it ever intended to eventually mean 'Open Source.'
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  4.    #24  
    And the HP Touchpad is BREAKING the trend- like it always does..

    The Touchpad has always broken intentions..

    Anyway- open source would give us ultimate control. It would only make the best tablet software even better. And besides, it's our only option.

    What else do you expect to happen to it? It's against American values to let a cornerstone such as this slip into the unknown...
  5. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    What else do you expect to happen to it? It's against American values to let a cornerstone such as this slip into the unknown...
    No, it is against American values to ask HP to open up webos without even a hint of a business model. American value is the survival of the fittest,

    There are only 2 business models in open source in the last 10 years. Small start-ups trying attract venture capital funding by having a great PRPRPR $as$ $an$ &$quot$;$open$ $source$&$quot$; $company$. $Big$ $companies$ $like$ $IBM$ $using$ $their$ $open$ $source$ $projects$ $to$ $bash$ $their$ $competitors$' $proprietary$ $solutions$.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    No, it is against American values to ask HP to open up webos without even a hint of a business model. American value is the survival of the fittest,

    There are only 2 business models in open source in the last 10 years. Small start-ups trying attract venture capital funding by having a great PRPRPR $as$ $an$ &$quot$;$open$ $source$&$quot$; $company$. $Big$ $companies$ $like$ $IBM$ $using$ $their$ $open$ $source$ $projects$ $to$ $bash$ $their$ $competitors$' $proprietary$ $solutions$.
    In which WebOS would do both...

    If by small start ups attracting great PRPRPR $you$ $mean$ $a$ $product$ $on$ $and$ $off$ $the$ $market$ $in$ $six$ $weeks$ $due$ $to$ $it$'$s$ $little$-$known$ $presence$ $because$ $of$ $a$ $crowded$ $tablet$ $market$, $then$ $it$'$s$ $got$ that down.

    And with big companies' using Op-So projects to bash competitors' proprietary solutions...well Apple and Android is about as proprietary as it gets. Well, at least Apple is anyway.

    Don't you know better by now not to depend on these other nincompoop companies?? You can beg and beg all you want, but in the end, you'll be crawling back to open source.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    No, it is against American values to ask HP to open up webos without even a hint of a business model. American value is the survival of the fittest,

    There are only 2 business models in open source in the last 10 years. Small start-ups trying attract venture capital funding by having a great PRPRPR $as$ $an$ &$quot$;$open$ $source$&$quot$; $company$. $Big$ $companies$ $like$ $IBM$ $using$ $their$ $open$ $source$ $projects$ $to$ $bash$ $their$ $competitors$' $proprietary$ $solutions$.
    You are stuck in the mindset that open source needs a business model. It doesn't. It existed long before anyone tried to shoehorn it into a business model. For this particular case, HP would have to strip out anything that they've licensed from someone else. They could continue to control it or donate it to another group such as webos-internals.org. Then whether it continues or dies is up to the community of users and developers.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #28  
    WebOS has never had a business model before (it's for soccer moms!, it has a mirror on the back for putting lipstick on with, no wait it is for the enterprise!) so that would be no different....

    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  9. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    IDon't you know better by now not to depend on these other nincompoop companies?? You can beg and beg all you want, but in the end, you'll be crawling back to open source.
    Precisely, you don't want to depend on other companies --- that's why your argument would never works in the first place.

    HP is a for profit company, and if they open source something --- then they will stack the deck in which HP will control the open source foundation.

    Just because you the handset company can grab the source code, doesn't mean you are going to control your destiny. HP can continue to develop on webos, then suddenly close the source code in the webos 4.0 tree --- what are you going to do. You are screwed. That's why LiMo is structured the way it is. The handset manufacturers and carriers each got their own seat at the open source foundation board --- so they can control their own destiny. Yet, even handset manufacturers who are LiMo board members don't even make LiMo phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    You are stuck in the mindset that open source needs a business model. It doesn't. It existed long before anyone tried to shoehorn it into a business model. For this particular case, HP would have to strip out anything that they've licensed from someone else. They could continue to control it or donate it to another group such as webos-internals.org. Then whether it continues or dies is up to the community of users and developers.
    They are a for profit company, after all. Palm sat on the source code of BeOS for 10 years.

    The mobile world is moving at light speed. Next week, iOS 5 will launch. The week after that, Playbook OS 2.0 will launch. A couple of weeks after that, Ice Cream Sandwich will launch. You are stuck in a fantasy world. Go take a look at cloning BeOS, 10 years later they are still stuck in infant stage.
  10.    #30  
    I don't know about you, but I don't like to be held back. I'm tired of these dumb companies.

    HTC vs. iPHONE, vs. HP vs. vs. RIM, vs. ANDROID- Stop the madness.

    We NEED open source.

    I thought I could have the freedom to do whatever I wanted on a tablet. And we can. I expect open source. That's it.
  11. #31  
    You come off like you just took your first philosophy class and now you're desperately trying to apply what you learned to anything you can.

    I hate fire sales.
  12. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    I don't know about you, but I don't like to be held back. I'm tired of these dumb companies.

    HTC vs. iPHONE, vs. HP vs. vs. RIM, vs. ANDROID- Stop the madness.

    We NEED open source.

    I thought I could have the freedom to do whatever I wanted on a tablet. And we can. I expect open source. That's it.
    The only thing that held you back is yourself.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

    There is more than 10 years of open source now, they fooled you a million times already.

    Linus himself is okay with things like tivo-ization --- get over it.
  13. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    But back to the original topic of conversation: We need open source.
    Then start an open source project yourself.
  14.    #34  
    ^ I'm working on something as we speak. Whatever I can, that is. First plan of action, Note App that expands across the entire interface.

    < As seen in my avatar pic.

    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You come off like you just took your first philosophy class and now you're desperately trying to apply what you learned to anything you can.

    I hate fire sales.
    What's a fire sale have anything to do with it? I'm not a fire saler.

    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    The only thing that held you back is yourself.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

    There is more than 10 years of open source now, they fooled you a million times already.

    Linus himself is okay with things like tivo-ization --- get over it.
    We're not talking about the past, we're talking about today.

    Now back to the original topic of conversation: We need open source.

    In the Touchpad's current state, faux-dead we can do whatever we please, right?
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/04/2011 at 08:30 PM.
  15. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    We're not talking about the past, we're talking about today.
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

    Go find yourself a GPLv3 project to play with. Don't play with a GPLv2 project where somebody is going to tivoize it. Don't play with a Apache license project where somebody is going to fork it and keep the source close.
  16.    #36  
    ^ We don't know that...

    I bet if we ask Meg Whitman, we'll probably be met with a resounding "Why the heck not? Sure go ahead!"

    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Exactly. Which is why we cannot let WebOS fall into the hands of yet another company.
  17. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Exactly. Which is why we cannot let WebOS fall into the hands of yet another company.
    The dog eat dog world is healthy for the tech industry.
  18.    #38  
    ^ OK. So is the idea of Open Source for WebOS something that you disapprove?

    Are you against the idea? Or for it?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    ^ OK. So is the idea of Open Source for WebOS something that you disapprove?

    Are you against the idea? Or for it?
    Doesn't matter what we approve or not. Why don't you just talk to HP CEO and ask her about it. And please let us know. If webOS goes for open source, great. But how much do you want to bet that it won't happen?
  20. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    ^ OK. So is the idea of Open Source for WebOS something that you disapprove?

    Are you against the idea? Or for it?
    Even if HP open source webOS, nothing is going to happen. There exists perfectly fine open source mobile platforms like LiMo that handset manufacturers have board of director seats --- and they still don't use it.

    Your volunteer work is going to be better spent in other open source projects.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions