Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

Top Five Reasons Why Amazon Should Buy webOS
    webOS on Kindle Fire would make Amazon the new king of the tablet world.
    RepublishText Size

By Anthony Myers | October 3, 2011 5:07 PM EDT

Top Five Reasons Why Amazon Should Buy webOS - International Business Times

Amazon released the Kindle Fire last week and has taken pre-orders for thousands already. The Wi-Fi enabled device uses the Android operating system, but it's a customized form just for Kindle Fire. Android is a fine system, but if Amazon really wants to take off as the tablet maker all others want to be like, it should buy webOS, the Hewlett-Packard-owned operating system.
    HP announced in August they were discontinuing webOS and have been rumored to be looking for a buyer. Furthermore, Amazon now has a board member who used to work at HP and helped market webOS when it was first acquired in the Palm merger in 2010. Here are the top five reasons why Amazon should buy webOS:
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    3 of his reasons amounted to " Amazon can get an OS cheap and modify it the way they want." yet Android is free and open source... ...so they can get it for free and modify it the way they want, which is what they did.

His last argument is that Amazon should buy WebOS because bezos is a risk taker... not really a good argument.

His only real point is that you can have cards if you buy WebOS. Sorry people, but it should be pretty clear by now that the public at large just doesn't care much about that.

Amazon is not going to buy webos.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    3 of his reasons amounted to " Amazon can get an OS cheap and modify it the way they want." yet Android is free and open source... ...so they can get it for free and modify it the way they want, which is what they did.

His last argument is that Amazon should buy WebOS because bezos is a risk taker... not really a good argument.

His only real point is that you can have cards if you buy WebOS. Sorry people, but it should be pretty clear by now that the public at large just doesn't care much about that.

Amazon is not going to buy webos.

-Suntan
    Have you read the tech news in the past few months? Android is open source but it is not free. Microsoft has successfully sued several companies using the OS. HTC and Samsung pay Microsoft $15 per device sold with Android on it. That is hardly free. Google has not done a good job of protecting the hardware makers from litigation. They bought Motorola in order to prevent some of the lawsuits Microsoft filed, but it has not worked.
    Amazon buying webOS would be like Facebook buying webOS. Don't expect webOS to stick around through that. It will be taken apart and used piecemeal.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/04/2011 at 10:57 AM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Hey check out this article by Jean-Louis Gassée, why Google probably doesn't like Amazon's Android doings and why Amazon might better not depend 100% on Android. I found it very interesting and informative.
    I don't want Amazon to buy webOS. Unless Ruby can convince Bezos to launch webOS phones... afterall, isn't that what we all really want over tablets? New webOS phones?

And if they released phones how "open" would it be? Would they be as open and supportive of the homebrew community as Palm and HP were?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Hey check out this article by Jean-Louis Gassée, why Google probably doesn't like Amazon's Android doings and why Amazon might better not depend 100% on Android. I found it very interesting and informative.
    Suntan, you need to check out the link in this post. It kind of blows your first sentence into little pieces, runs the smaller pieces through a shredder, the puts all of the matter left into a blender. Android is not free and Google does not like what Amazon did to Android with the Kindle Fire. If I were an Android hardware maker right now, I would be shopping for another OS or trying to develop one myself which it seems like most of them are doing.
    So let me get this right: I'm a big company like Amazon. I plan on selling over 20 million Kindle Fires, a generation 1 device. I have Android on it. I get a knock on the door. It's Microsoft with their hand out saying I owe them 200-300 million dollars for my entire run of Kindle Fires ($10-15 a piece). I pay up. The there is another knock on the door. It's Google. They don't like the fact that they are not making a dime off of me using Android. I have my own market, so I don't need that from them. I have my own web browser that redirects users from the actually site, so I can get rid of the ads that make Google money. I don't use Google Maps or the YouTube App or Google Voice or any of the other services. They can't touch me now, but they threaten that future versions of Android may not be compatible with my device.

I'm out a 1/4 of a billion dollars on a generation 1 device already in licensing fees for what was supposed to be a free OS and I have ****ed off the OS maker to the point that I can't expect compatibility with future releases. I plan on making a second, third, and forth generation or beyond. Buying another OS for less than a billion dollars sounds like it is pretty smart to me. I still don't see it happening, but I can understand the math behind it.
    Absolutely, k4ever. The Fire's Android version kinda undermines Google's whole business. They don't like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Have you read the tech news in the past few months? Android is open source but it is not free. Microsoft has successfully sued several companies using the OS. HTC and Samsung pay Microsoft $15 per device sold with Android on it. That is hardly free. Google has not done a good job of protecting the hardware makers from litigation. They bought Motorola in order to prevent some of the lawsuits Microsoft filed, but it has not worked.
    Let's be clear here -- Microsoft has not successfully sued for these. They have "convinced" (a nice term for blackmail) these people to sign licensing agreements.

Why? Because of their patents. If webOS ever became a major player you can bet MS would be knocking on their door as well...
    They can't touch me now, but they threaten that future versions of Android may not be compatible with my device.
    The open-source nature of Android pretty much assures that if the current version is compatible with your device, the next version will be as well. If the XDA hobbyists can make it so, I'm sure Amazon has a full-time team that can as well. And let's not forget Amazon is only selling tablets -- the vast majority Android devices are phones, Google will not be hurting if the Fire does well.

And don't you think Amazon has already worked out the logistics of selling an Android-powered device? You think they'll be surprised if Microsoft asks for royalties? Perhaps they've removed the features Microsoft is claiming as patent violations -- this is not the same Android that other devices are running, not by a long shot.

There is absolutely zero reason for Amazon to buy an OS for their tablet when the one they have on it already is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Absolutely, k4ever. The Fire's Android version kinda undermines Google's whole business. They don't like that.
    As long as it is based on the AOSP there is nothing they can do about it, like it or not. And honestly, I haven't seen Google saying anything on this -- where are they saying they don't like it?

This is from AOSP's home page: "Android is an open-source software stack for mobile devices, and a corresponding open-source project led by Google. We created Android in response to our own experiences launching mobile apps. We wanted to make sure that there was no central point of failure, so that no industry player can restrict or control the innovations of any other. That's why we created Android, and made its source code open."
    if they put amazon's UI on top of webos, it won't look like webos and the user won't know the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    As long as it is based on the AOSP there is nothing they can do about it, like it or not. And honestly, I haven't seen Google saying anything on this -- where are they saying they don't like it?
    They're saying they don't like it by not saying they like it Google isn't mentioning it because Amazon chose to not be "powered by Google Android" by removing the Google apps. Don't want to play the game, you don't get the Google pub.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    And why should Amazon care what google decide to do? What part of "forked" do people not understand? It seems a lot of people here think that the amazon people were sitting around all day smoking blow and not considering the various scenarios that are playing out.

It's irrelevant what demands google make in the future. They are projected to sell eight millions of those and pre-orders are currently rumoured to be running at 50,000 a day. Even if their fork went into a direction that meant it was completely incompable with the future version of android - it still gives them a bigger user-base than starting again with WebOS. The other thing that people are missing with "well they need to pay Microsoft $10 per unit in licensing" is that they aren't paying google for the google apps suite - so it's swings and roundabouts.

Amazon are selling a kindle device not an android tablet, a nuance that seems to escape a lot of people who get too hooked up about the technical aspects of this.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/04/2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    They can't touch me now, but they threaten that future versions of Android may not be compatible with my device.
    Google will lose their street cred if they don't release the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich. When you lose your street cred, you lose many developers who blindly thought that they are doing good by coding for an open source platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Let's be clear here -- Microsoft has not successfully sued for these. They have "convinced" (a nice term for blackmail) these people to sign licensing agreements.

Why? Because of their patents. If webOS ever became a major player you can bet MS would be knocking on their door as well...
    If Amazon got webOS with the Palm patents, then Microsoft would have second thoughts about knocking at their door. The Palm IP with webOS is the sixth reason for Amazon to buy webOS
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JED-WEB-OS View Post
    If Amazon got webOS with the Palm patents, then Microsoft would have second thoughts about knocking at their door. The Palm IP with webOS is the sixth reason for Amazon to buy webOS
    Amazon's EC2 cloud and Silk split browsers --- makes webOS a dumb x terminal. Instead of running webos webapps on ipad at twice the speed, you are now running webos webapps in the EC2 cloud at super speed and displays it in the dumb x terminal of a Pre 4.
    Got a lot of responses so I will pose a few questions:

1) If you are paying Microsoft for a product so you don't have to pay Google, is that product really free?

2) Isn't the blackmail the threat of a lawsuit?

3) If Amazon continues to fork Android how long will it be before compatability with the standard Android is broken to the point that most apps won't work?

4) What does the user base of the Fire have to do with the operating system? The Fire does not use standard Android or the Android Market. Amazon can graph the skin on webOS and develop replacement webOS apps for the content, and most of their user base wouldn't notice the difference.
    3) If Amazon continues to fork Android how long will it be before compatability with the standard Android is broken to the point that most apps won't work?
    Every app in the Amazon App Store will work with the Fire. Sideloading non-Amazon App Store apps may be touch and go, but there's a good chance that if you are savvy enough to sideload, you've ditched the Amazon version of Android.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast