Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Given the lackluster products turned out since June 2009, I doubt anyone wants Palm's engineers either.
    The engineers are still valuable. The failure is more to do with spreading their engineers too thin on too many projects.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The big reason is that if Amazon's version is incompatible then they lose the ability to run Android apps. They will drop to near zero and be behind everyone, to include webOS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Amazon never claims the Fire to be compatible with Android, anyway.

There are degrees of compatibility. Amazon would probably have made sure that the 10000 apps that they approved already would be compatible with the Kindle Fire.
    I've been around Linux long enough (15 years) to know that when a project forks, someone loses out. I don't see regular Android losing out to Amazon's forked Android. That means that if developers are given a choice of which one to develop apps for, Amazon's fork loses out. Does Amazon have a developer relations team? Does Amazon have OS engineers on staff? How about a tech support team to handle OS issues? They essentially created their own OS, but do they have the resources to continue supporting it? I know one company that has those resources available (HP) and for the right price they get a good OS that those resources are familiar with.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    I've been around Linux long enough (15 years) to know that when a project forks, someone loses out. I don't see regular Android losing out to Amazon's forked Android. That means that if developers are given a choice of which one to develop apps for, Amazon's fork loses out. Does Amazon have a developer relations team? Does Amazon have OS engineers on staff? How about a tech support team to handle OS issues? They essentially created their own OS, but do they have the resources to continue supporting it? I know one company that has those resources available (HP) and for the right price they get a good OS that those resources are familiar with.

All developers need to know it's that Amazon managed to get 10,000 apps on their stores. That's a lot better than HP would ever get.
    All developers need to know it's that Amazon managed to get 10,000 apps on their stores. That's a lot better than HP would ever get.
    Amazon managed to get 10,000 Android apps in their store. How long do those apps continue to get support as Amazon's fork drifts further and further from the main Android development cycle?

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    They will continue to get support as long as they bring in the revenue.

HP didn't even give out free TouchPads (like RIM did) to anyone who submit a tablet app.
    They will continue to get support as long as they bring in the revenue.

HP didn't even give out free TouchPads (like RIM did) to anyone who submit a tablet app.
    You know some of us brought up the revenue thing as a reason to continue to support webOS and naysayers shot that down. Most of the apps in the Amazon Android market are free.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    You know some of us brought up the revenue thing as a reason to continue to support webOS and naysayers shot that down. Most of the apps in the Amazon Android market are free.

If you want to code for the potential of making money in a small pond, you might as well code for RIM. They have a very high revenue per app.
    If you want to code for the potential of making money in a small pond, you might as well code for RIM. They have a very high revenue per app.
    RIM lost me when they decided that I needed a Blackberry to view my email on the Playbook. Very bad move. Besides I'm not a developer, I'm a consumer.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    RIM lost me when they decided that I needed a Blackberry to view my email on the Playbook. Very bad move. Besides I'm not a developer, I'm a consumer.

How many people actually like their jobs? Not many.

You don't have to like it. It pays the bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Well I'd buy it but I can't come up with more than a dollar and half....yeah I'm on a fixed income, LOL. Seriously if I had that kind of $ I would...but it's a moot point.

take care,

Jay
    Here's an idea -- put a bounty out on it and pledge your dollar and a half. If you can get 500,000 people to do the same you'll have $1.5M, maybe HP will sell it to you....
  12.    #52  
    Amazon managed to get 10,000 Android apps in their store. How long do those apps continue to get support as Amazon's fork drifts further and further from the main Android development cycle?

Hi, you're 100% correct, that's why I've stated from the first day HP bought Palm that they should only have bought it ONCE THEY HAD A DEAL IN PLACE WITH AMAZON to use their pipeline....HP screwed this thing from day one...

Sad to say!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Hi, you're 100% correct, that's why I've stated from the first day HP bought Palm that they should only have bought it ONCE THEY HAD A DEAL IN PLACE WITH AMAZON to use their pipeline....HP screwed this thing from day one...

Sad to say!

Take care,

Jay
    What does amazon's got to do with anything?
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    What does amazon's got to do with anything?
    Hi all,

You asked: What does amazon's got to do with anything? Here's what they have to do with all of webOS and the many problems that lead us to where were at right now.

1. The tread is named 5 top reasons why Amazon should buy webOS.

2. HP had zero pipeline to distribute anything but some apps!

3. At that time, Amazon was already distributing Video/movies, ebooks, apps for their platforms & music....if HP had cut a deal with Amazon ahead of time they would have had a distribution hub in place n all you can buy buffet for webOS.

4.Amazon would also be able to do what HP promised and failed to do, get apps written or ported to the platform.

5. This needed to be done BEFORE HP ever bought webOS or just after. The way HP did it caused the situation we now have.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    HP bought Palm the handset maker.

The TouchPad wasn't even Palm's idea, it was HP's.

Whatever distribution deal it would have been, it would have been selling books, music and movies --- it wouldn't be apps. Amazon's app store sells Android apps.

Whatever distribution deal it would have been, it would have been non-exclusive
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    HP bought Palm the handset maker.

The TouchPad wasn't even Palm's idea, it was HP's.

Whatever distribution deal it would have been, it would have been selling books, music and movies --- it wouldn't be apps. Amazon's app store sells Android apps.

Whatever distribution deal it would have been, it would have been non-exclusive
    Hi all,

I'm not a 100% sure that your first comment is correct...I think I had read Palm was working or planning a pad like device....

BTW why should Amazon create a App store for webOS?

I also don't agree that it shouldn't have been exclusive....now the more that I think of it, I'll go back to what I said months and months ago...HP should have purchased Palm/webOS in concert with Amazon....

As we have seen...HP doesn't really know much about marketing handheld devices or smartphones...the Ipaq line never set the world on fire and Amazon was already moving well along with hand helds...after all they were already selling more ebooks than print books when HP bought Palm....

It would have been far more efficient to set up a deal with Amazon than to try to go it alone...Amazon is a mass marketing genius and HP has almost no experience in that area....they sell their products mostly thru a 3rd party...yet this was an entire new line that needed support, nurturing and a product pipeline....HP did none of these things and therefore we now have the mess that we have....

Without a doubt the Kindle Fire which does a great deal LESS than the TouchPad will out sell it even with HP's accident success with the fires ale!

Take care,

Jay
    Without a doubt the Kindle Fire which does a great deal LESS than the TouchPad will out sell it even with HP's accident success with the fires ale!
    Ha, that's only becuase there wasn't enough Touchpads. Every site that dropped the prices crashed, every store sold out within hours. If I could get one for 89, I would buy another two.

The base is still Android, they're just tinkering with the UI for the most part. I bet you could throw a 3rd-party launcher on there and not even know it was an Amazon tablet. Chances are, unless they make drastic changes to the internals (doubtful), then there won't be an issue with app compatibility -- Amazon isn't stupid, they know better than to create a headache for themselves.

In other words, there will not be an Amazon webOS tablet
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Amazon isn't stupid, they know better than to create a headache for themselves.

In other words, there will not be an Amazon webOS tablet
    I think what your really mean to say was "In other words, Amazon is not HP."
    Yahoo is going to buy WebOS, duh
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast