Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Superjudge
  1.    #1  
    Is it reasonable to think we'll see any new WebOS smartphones? Amazon would obviously take WebOS and incorporate it into it's Kindle line, but has there been any sign that Amazon is at all inclined to jump into the smartphone market?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I think that IF they buy WebOS, they will, because they will have essentially paid for a lot of the development already.

Amazon's primary goal is not being a hardware manufacturer, though. It is selling ebooks, music, apps, etc. So expect that any Amazon device will be locked into their store as tightly as possible. I don't think this would be good for homebrew. Could be wrong, but that is my concern.
    The problem with Amazon getting webOS is like any other manufacturer - they will take time to get a device out to retail.

So they have the Kindle Fire. You COULD simply say that they could port webOS onto it. However, they would also need to port the apps that it runs. And what would you do with the ones that have been built and already have Android flashed onto them. Also, I doubt that the specs on these things are good enough to give a decent experience.

One solution would be buying the parts for the Touchpad Go that are currently sitting with manufacturers and rebrand them as a new tablet. This will still take time however, and there is not enough parts to provide the kind of volumes that Amazon like to have.

The plus side to Amazon? Content. They have music, films and books and enough of this to rival Apple as a content provider. That's what made the iPad so successful. Think of the other services that would go with it that make it stand out from the competition - i.e. music and film streaming. Amazon also own LoveFilm and their cloud storage is a market leader.

Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Amazon's primary goal is not being a hardware manufacturer, though. It is selling ebooks, music, apps, etc. So expect that any Amazon device will be locked into their store as tightly as possible. I don't think this would be good for homebrew. Could be wrong, but that is my concern.
    They need more portals to sell content, which is where the Kindle and tablets come in. I don;t think that this would be too bad for homebrew either. They could turn that into a big selling point.
    Pre 3 & TouchPad. Flying in the face of the jesusPhone!
    For the sake of reality, Amazon will not be buying webOS.
    spud101, Jawbox and Mikey47 like this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    But still if they did, it think it will be the end of webOS as we know it.
    No other devices than Amazon "shopping-appliances". Way more closed down than webOS is now. Just watch how they stripped down on Android functionality on the Kindle Fire.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    For the sake of reality, Amazon will not be buying webOS.
    Not sure what's more lame...your post, or the fact that someone actually "liked" it. Thanks for staying on topic.
    youd end up with another "closed in" os, forced to use their setup/apps, and wed end up with a mobile "smartbookreader" or something similar.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    If Amazon buys webos unit, they would have nothing to do webos the software itself.

They would be buying the patents and the engineers.

Palm fans should remember that Palm bought Be Inc. just to buy the engineers, and did nothing with BeOS.
    Amazon is a business looking to be as profitable as possible. If they have the opportunity to jump into a market and have a decent chance at it, and with webOS, I feel they would - for sure they would do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Is it reasonable to think we'll see any new WebOS smartphones? Amazon would obviously take WebOS and incorporate it into it's Kindle line, but has there been any sign that Amazon is at all inclined to jump into the smartphone market?
    For the sake of sanity let's put this (very likely baseless) rumor to death. There are 0 credible sources and 0 confirmations for this.

Amazon and webos don't fit.

Amazon doesn't need it for anything they want and don't already have. And buying webos right after announcing a range of Kindle devices would send the wrong message. Buyers would hesitate to buy Kindles with a platform change ahead.

And it wouldn't be good for us either. Amazon would dumb down webos and not release any smartphones.

This is not going to happen.

If you are looking for hope then look at HTC, Dell, Sony or Lenovo. Unlike Amazon these all are somewhat realistic options.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5