Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Is it me or is the webOS web browser sluggish? It takes me ages to load websites on different wireless networks even. At home I have a 30 meg connection, I download stuff at 5mb/s, it just seems strange.

is there an alternative or a patch?
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb
    I kept reading comments that the webos browser is slow and just tested it (couple days ago) compared to a friends Iphone 4.

The pages took the same time to load.

*But* during loading the Iphone browser already displayed fragments of the page - a trick that desktop browser have done for years. While the webos browser only suddenly showed the finished page at the end of the loading phase.
    That creates the illusion of being faster on the Iphone. And it's actually faster when you can already read relevant bits, or already have the link you want to click. Sometimes you don't need all of a page.

Also page load times can vary a lot depending on local service quality. The browser speed is irrelevant while it waits for data to come in. Any comparisons need to be done in the same spot and similar services. If you have a 2G connection on one phone with one provider and a 3G connection on the other phone with a different provider than you won't learn anything about the speed of the brosers.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I kept reading comments that the webos browser is slow and just tested it (couple days ago) compared to a friends Iphone 4.

The pages took the same time to load.

*But* during loading the Iphone browser already displayed fragments of the page - a trick that desktop browser have done for years. While the webos browser only suddenly showed the finished page at the end of the loading phase.
    That creates the illusion of being faster on the Iphone. And it's actually faster when you can already read relevant bits, or already have the link you want to click. Sometimes you don't need all of a page.

Also page load times can vary a lot depending on local service quality. The browser speed is irrelevant while it waits for data to come in. Any comparisons need to be done in the same spot and similar services. If you have a 2G connection on one phone with one provider and a 3G connection on the other phone with a different provider than you won't learn anything about the speed of the brosers.
    yeah its called flushing. And its not controlled by the browser but by the website.

so your test was incorrect actually. What you saw was a fast browser on the iphone 4 compared to the slow browser on webos.

I will look into the actual app to find what causes the slow loading times...
    Palm Zire 31 > some old fashioned phones > iPhone 3G > HTC Desire > Blackberry > iPhone 4 > HP Pre 3 & HP Touchpad 16gb