1.    #1  
    other than actually knowing how to make apps what does it take to get one out on the market?
    reason I am asking is we obviously have members of this community who know how to and have made apps.
    this community is huge and and because of this why can't we create the demand
    for apps and raise money that gives an incentive for someone to make the apps we would love to have?
    how many of us have stated how we want a netflix app. Is the only person able to create a netflix app someone from netflix?
    could we get members on this site to come forward and pledge a donation of say $5 which would go towards helping financially inable someone to write the app. Obviously there is a matter of trust where the person we donate the money too wouldn't just take the money and not give the app, but I thought this might help create a known incentive to write apps not knowing what the demand would actually be.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    other than actually knowing how to make apps what does it take to get one out on the market?
    Time, and as you mentioned, money for apps that are built from the ground up. However, for things that use existing services that are owned by someone else, an API (application programming interface) and permission for copyright and other legally protected information.

why can't we create the demand
    for apps and raise money that gives an incentive for someone to make the apps we would love to have?
    Because a promise of money really means little, especially for a platform that is dying and may not be revived by the current holder of webOS or even future owners of webOS. Consider that no one seems interested in making hardware for webOS anymore. This is a significant reason why many won't enter into the development fray.

Worse yet, there are many people that complain about the price of paid apps, regardless of the price. A quick look at this forum for apps that cost more than $1 clearly show this.

Hey, I'm as happy as can be to develop for webOS and I love my devices. But, it's a completely different story to try to become financially invested in the platform.

Is the only person able to create a netflix app someone from netflix?
    Pretty much. Unless Netflix opens up a developer API and licenses, they can easily restrict what can/can't be done by developers. A good example is Google. Google Voice has gone through many changes and, in some instances, prevented existing code by outside developers from working.

could we get members on this site to come forward and pledge a donation of say $5 which would go towards helping financially inable someone to write the app. Obviously there is a matter of trust where the person we donate the money too wouldn't just take the money and not give the app, but I thought this might help create a known incentive to write apps not knowing what the demand would actually be.
    Truthfully, if this could be done, that would be great. But, it's not the first time I've seen this idea. In reality, I think a better use for money is to donate to existing developers or buy their apps to encourage developers who already have an interest in the platform.

Again, I'm quite happy with webOS, but one has to be realistic. Then again, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong in this case.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa