Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By ilovedessert
  • 1 Post By brandonp1
  • 1 Post By ilovedessert
  • 2 Post By ilovedessert
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

1. First and foremost I owe all of you an applogy.....as many of you know...they way things worked out, I wasn't able to have a Pre or Pre Plus b/c I had a contract with Verizon, for a Centro....that I took out just a weeks before the Pre line and webOS hit the market...

My contract ended last Oct....I passed on the Pre2 & veer b/c I wanted a Pre3, (like many of us)....

Since there is too be no Pre3 in the USA...I could try to get one thru friends across the pond...but that leaves us with the fact that no one or hardly anyone will continue writing apps since Leo effectively killed off webOS.

Sadly I ordered a Epic 4G, which isn't from the newest line coming out, but it has a keyboard and good reviews....I tried to take a 1 year contract...but they seem to o longer exist.

I don't have to keep the Epic...I have what 30 days....

But I feel as if I'm not being loyal to all of you!

2. I called HP's executive offices today....from the conversation I had...I got more than just the impression that Meg has already dug into the mess...

Apparently there already was a strategic meeting dealing with HP and webOS....they couldn't tell me what happened.....but they did tell me something did happen....He feels Meg hit the ground running.....

Also I got the impression that they feel these are the cards that were dealt to Meg and her new management people....so these are the cards they must play with....

However...I also got the impression that things may happen quickly and they stressed again and again to keep watching HP's website....

3. Let's face it....HP has to do something SOON....right now they have a large payroll developing an OS which has no products, less developers than before.

4. They did agree that by accident Leo made the TouchPad into a cult classic...

5. He made a point of telling me there is so much that he wants to say and can't...

So the only thing we do know FOR SURE...is that had a number of strategic meetings over the fate of webOS!

If I hear more I'll let you all know.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    HelloNNNewman and Rnp like this.
    why not settle for a Pre2?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    why not settle for a Pre2?
    Hi all,

1. I would and gave a lot of thought to it....but isn't delaying the inevitable??

Where are the new firms that are going to write apps....apps which where building up nicely before Leo kicked us all to the curb....will drop off quickly now...unless something is done and soon.

How much longer do you think HP can keep pour money into webOS???

...the costs of running a division of the company that doesn't have a product to add to the bottom line is large...plus it actually is costing additional money as the fire sale continues...

The longer this drags on the less likely that someone will license or buy webOS...it truly grieves me to say this....but I think Leo killed webOS along with killing the value of HP.

2. Years ago....companies such as Bell Labs spent huge sums, (approx 20% or it's research budget), on research that wasn't specifically leading up to something.....in other words researchers were allowed to fund thier own research projects....

One of my dear friends who at the time worked at Bell labs, found a way during her own research, (funded by Bell Labs/AT&T), to quadruple traffic from earth dishes to satellites...(this is years befog cell service existed)...by adapting Unix software...now this lead to huge profits to AT&T, (this was before the divestiture)...

Then again this friend is amazingly Brilliant and a wonderful person.....she double majored at Swarthmore...(chemistry and Greek Literature), she got two 4 year Bachelor degrees in Chem & Bachelor of Literature degrees done in 5 years total ...then got her Masters in Chem in one year....went to Greece got her second masters in Greek literature in one year, (while studying all in Greek) and then came home played with a Tandy TRS-80 Model III computer, taught herself computer language got her third masters in one year in Computer langue and got a job at Bell Labs...(plus got married and has two children)...

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    No need to apologize Jay, as everyone in here can attest to, it is a frustrating time to be a fan of WebOS, especially for those people in here that want to upgrade their phones to newer models and have limited options, purchasing a Pre 3 on ebay and going with crappy at&t or going to Verizon with a Pre 2. How so many of us wished that the Pre 3 was released first on all 3 networks last June instead of the Veer. My 28 month old Pre is still working fine so I guess I will hang with Sprint and see what the future brings.

As far as HP goes, they need to either <****> or get off of the pot on their decision on what they plan to do with webOS. Everyday of sitting with their thumbs up their #$$ (if that is what they are doing right now, who knows?) the interest in webOS weakens along with its value.

<<staff edit - please do not circumvent the language filters>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/30/2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Jay, you should grab a Pre2 while they are under $5. That's what I use, and I love it.

The Pre3 is nice, but not so nice that I'd rather have Android than a Pre2.
    I've just recently become interested in getting Pre type of phone.

Is that $5 for a Pre2 with or without a contract? Which carrier?

Thx.
    It's with a contract. Cantaffordit everyone likes you but if I were you I would not be able to in good faith recommend someone looking for a new smartphone, even a total webOS fan, to sign two years of their life away for a Pre 2.
    As Jay said, it is simply delaying the inevitable. Good sir, no one blames you for what you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    It's with a contract.
    Dang, I was hoping to find one off-contract and cheap so I can play with it. Oh well.

Thx.
    I've just recently become interested in getting Pre type of phone.

Is that $5 for a Pre2 with or without a contract? Which carrier?

Thx.
    Verizon 2 year contract = $5 Pre 2

-- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    @ Jay

First off, thank you for all the work you do as a newhound; though, I'm curious as to your posts here. In your original post, you seem excited & optimistic about webOS' future with HP's meetings; however, in your next post, you seem to completely trash webOS' future at all. I'm confused here; where do you really stand?
    ilovedessert likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonp2 View Post
    @ Jay

First off, thank you for all the work you do as a newhound; though, I'm curious as to your posts here. In your original post, you seem excited & optimistic about webOS' future with HP's meetings; however, in your next post, you seem to completely trash webOS' future at all. I'm confused here; where do you really stand?
    Hi all,

If HP would either do what it swore and promised it would do for webOS or sell/license it to someone who do what HP promised I would sign up right now....however as every minute ticks off...that makes it that much harder for someone to resurrect webOS! I of all people hate to say it! Plus I'm still using PalmOS which is long dead and has no support...I don't want to trade it for an OS that is slowly doing the same thing!...Unless HP moves quickly one way or another...

Take care,

jay
    k4ever likes this.
    Sorry but there is no way you can just call in and someone is going to tell you about strategic meetings Meg and anyone are having about webOS or anything else.

And if they did, then HP is IN SERIOUS trouble.
  13.    #13  
    Hi all,

You NEVER know who will answer the phone...

IE: I'm a movie buff...my fiancee, my friends and when both of my parents were alive and now just my Mom, we go to the movies a regular group every week...dinner and the movies...the group is about 20 of us...

I'm miffed that there seem to be tons of movies made for 12 boys to 21 year old men...no indies, no art films....nothing remotely for adults....all schools in this country that train directors all require courses in Hitchcock films yet no one makes cleaver Physiological thrillers...for that matter something other than remakes of take offs of Dark Shadows....

The head of Sony Pictures and Fox studios both picked up the phone and spoke DIRECTLY to me....I also met one of the higher ups in indie films, the big cheese at Sony Pictures. Howard Stringer Sony's CEO told this man to look for me, when the premiered an art film in this great theater that we have in Orlando...It's the Enzian which has club chairs and couches, will a full service restaurant and bar....

Enzian Theater

The tried to get the director of one of the films to met with me, but sadly she was murdered....however I did meet another film exec who came looking for me...so you never know who will answer their phone!

Take care,

Jay
    conversation with hp exec?

sounds like you had jon rubinstein on the other end of the phone...

"stay tuned........keep tuning........"
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Verizon 2 year contract = $5 Pre 2

-- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    Signing up for 2 years of Pre2 - a phone design basically over 4 years old - just doesn't make sense today. There is no bigger believer / supporter over the past 15 years of Palm/WebOS than I have been. But when I had to choose between a $5 Pre2 or a $99 Droid Bionic I had to give the Droid a shot. I had the 30 days to return it but now that I've had it there is no way I'm giving it back. Once I hooked it up with my TP using the Hot Spot that got faster too thanks to the improved WiFi on 4G.

I really wish we didn't have to make a choice like that - I was all set for the Pre3 even if it was 3G but now, by accident, I see just how far behind the WebOS system had fallen. While not quite as integrated & smooth as WebOS the Bionic works well, is fast & has great software support. Much like WebOS the Browser is compatible enough to not require apps to make up for what it can't do. But the apps out there are nice shortcuts for some functions & more appear everyday.

I truly hope the WebOS survives & lives to thrive. I'd likely return to it in 24 months or less if they can do it. I doubt it now but things change so fast recently who knows!
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!