Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Now another linux based mobile os using HTML5 "and other web standards" may be a competitor.... (https://www.tizen.org/)

HP: You may need to protect your investments in webOS technologies, and related tech's you bought to support webOS. Was 4 companies you bought after you bought Palm ?

<<staff edit>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/28/2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: language
    WebOS still makes sense.
    C_McGuire likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    There are too many similar initiatives to mention already...

And probably many more.

This proofs that Palm was really a pioneer, but at the same time maybe a bit too early. I'm pretty sure the mobile (OS) landscape will have changed again over 5 years. That's good for someone like me who loves following all these innovating developments. But it's a real shame webOS will most likely not play a role in that future anymore.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    may be a competitor....
    I doubt it, it's just another zombie OS lurching around...
    fxspec06 likes this.
    I was just about to post a new thread after reading this article, but I guess I'll post here...

Oh Samsung...what could have been...

Intel Drops MeeGo Mobile OS, Backs Tizen Against Android | PCWorld
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    You suck, Samsung! Instead of buying an established OS with a userbase of 1 million, they got cheap and decided to start from scratch with a "new" OS, which is really just the third iteration of a failed OS, an OS that failed twice under two different names.

Samsung: We want a web OS, just not the webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You suck, Samsung! Instead of buying an established OS with a userbase of 1 million, they got cheap and decided to start from scratch with a "new" OS, which is really just the third iteration of a failed OS, an OS that failed twice under two different names.

Samsung: We want a web OS, just not the webOS.
    You really think it's that easy?

"Hi HP, I'm Samsung and I'm here to pick up your webOS. Do I pick up here or around the back?"

webOS has never been the issue or the problem. Crazy poor management has and no company want's to do business with HP when HP themselves don't even know what the hell they're doing or where they're going.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    You really think it's that easy?

"Hi HP, I'm Samsung and I'm here to pick up your webOS. Do I pick up here or around the back?"

webOS has never been the issue or the problem. Crazy poor management has and no company want's to do business with HP when HP themselves don't even know what the hell they're doing or where they're going.
    If they would've bought it outright they wouldn't have had to deal with HP anymore.
    If they would've bought it outright they wouldn't have had to deal with HP anymore.
    And at what point was HP offering webOS for an outright buy?
    But you don't even know HP was going to sell the webOS or not. If they did, how much HP was asking for it? If TP released with perfect OS with out dated hardware, maybe Samsung can create solid hardware for it and let HP to support the OS. However, webOS was half baked when it was released, and some way, it's still very much buggy. Why would anyone wants to believe HP's ability to support webOS?
    There is a lot delusional thinking based on fanboyism here. I love webOS too but I've accepted the fact that HP did such a number on it that no company will ever touch it again no matter how much they want webOS.

With every post on Precentral more and more people are moving away from webOS. Android however is the closest thing to webOS that has solid support and is not going away anytime soon. People who have faced facts and are thinking rationally want off the webOS roller coaster and have or are making plans for a switch.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    According to Forbes Samsung is working on merging its homegrown “bada” smartphone operating system with Tizen [1]. This is already discussed in XDA's bada forum [2].

What do you think is the impact to webOS' future?

In my opinion this leaves only #6 for webOS, behind Android, iOS, Windwos Phone, RIM and Bada/Tizen - all of them are actively worked on (well, there's also little work on webOS, but nobody really knows).

[1] Samsung Merging Its Bada OS With Intel-Backed Tizen Project - Forbes
    [2] Samsung will merge bada with Tizen - xda-developers
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    There is a lot delusional thinking based on fanboyism here. I love webOS too but I've accepted the fact that HP did such a number on it that no company will ever touch it again no matter how much they want webOS.

With every post on Precentral more and more people are moving away from webOS. Android however is the closest thing to webOS that has solid support and is not going away anytime soon. People who have faced facts and are thinking rationally want off the webOS roller coaster and have or are making plans for a switch.
    Fanboyism?? Lol

I have both a Pre2 and TP the work perfectly. Am i supposed to throw them away to purchase new devices so the "WebOS is dead crowd" (that still feel the need to hang around the forum) can gloat? If you dont mind, i will continue to use my devices and involve myself in WebOS discussions.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Rnp likes this.

I am not going anywhere. I still think for what I need to do my pre2 is better than any other phone.
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts

Android however is the closest thing to webOS that has solid support and is not going away anytime soon.
    if that is true then we are all screwed. I tried cm7 and can't stand that dysfunctional abomination compared to webOs.
    Rnp likes this.
    if samsung can release 1 or 2 devices with bada/tizen, they can release an open source webos phone or two.
    Rnp likes this.
    Samsung will merge Bada with Intel's Tizen - The Inquirer

So, Samsung is now merging Bada, its own linux OS, with Tizen.

Tizen is a reboot of Meego, which was a combination of Moblin and Maemo, and now they are going to merge Tizen with Bada.

Lets throw webOS into the mix, and combine Tizen (Moblin and Maemo), Bada and webOS together, with Samsung built hardware.

Altogether we can take on Android!

We can call it Wetizemaeegbadalin OS.
    Last edited by rmausser; 01/17/2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am not going anywhere. I still think for what I need to do my pre2 is better than any other phone.
    my pre3 is not without its flaws and bugs, but like you i feel my phone is the best phone out there. as long as i feel that way i've no reason to go anywhere. if it breaks i'll buy another, or maybe i'll buy another as a backup. or maybe a veer for a change whilst they're available.

many here are the same. why some people mistake this reasoned yet subjective opinion for delusion or rabid fanboyism i don't know. makes sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    my pre3 is not without its flaws and bugs, but like you i feel my phone is the best phone out there. as long as i feel that way i've no reason to go anywhere. if it breaks i'll buy another, or maybe i'll buy another as a backup. or maybe a veer for a change whilst they're available.

many here are the same. why some people mistake this reasoned yet subjective opinion for delusion or rabid fanboyism i don't know. makes sense to me.
    I have a brand new pre2 for backup, but it seems like I will never need it. The material of this phone is amazing, I have dropped it and had a ding or two and they just disappear. The thing looks brand new after a year
    Im being serious here: would anyone be opposed to HP joining Tizen with Intel and Samsung and combinng webOS to Tizen?

Then we would see a reincarnation of webOS on a Samsung phone device and HP could use the outcome to create their tablet off of the OS in 2013.

Also intel and HP are big partners as it is.

Joining forces would bring a greater chance of success.

I see it as Win Win.
    Samsung gives away Tizen developer phones - The H Open Source: News and Features

At the Tizen Developer Conference – currently being held in San Francisco – several companies have demonstrated their software on Tizen developer smartphones provided by Samsung.

Tizen Developer Smartphone Device Spotted (updated) | Tizen Talk

Looks like a big flat ugly version of Pre minus, but the specs are much better than Pre 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast