Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    I don't see the big whoop of WebOS. I had an original Pre that I returned after it rebooting all the time.

I have been on a Pixi minus on Sprint for a long while and it's a frustrating experience.

If people have discontinued devices and they love using WebOS they should use them until they wear out or there are too many apps that don't interface with everything else.
    I find ios and android to be the real frustrations. Never used a windows phone but I have windows 8 on my laptop. Its OK
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I don't see the big whoop of WebOS. I had an original Pre that I returned after it rebooting all the time.

I have been on a Pixi minus on Sprint for a long while and it's a frustrating experience.

If people have discontinued devices and they love using WebOS they should use them until they wear out or there are too many apps that don't interface with everything else.
    Both those have version 1 of webOS, and the Pixi is an incredibly underpowered device.

Thats like saying

"I dont see what the big whoop of Android is, I have an HTC Dream and Android 1.4 is kinda lame"

The latest version of webOS 2.2.4 on a Pre 3 is a whole other beast.
    They never released the Pre 3 in the US. So what kind of comparison is that?

The majority of WebOS phones were bought and used with the original OS.

The HTC Dream was in the market place in 2008. The Pixi was not in the marketplace for more than a year later.

The Pixi processor was faster than the Dream.

The Pixi is slow because WebOS is slow.

The Pre 2 was in the market place for less than a year before HP pulled the plug.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    They never released the Pre 3 in the US. So what kind of comparison is that?

The majority of WebOS phones were bought and used with the original OS.

The HTC Dream was in the market place in 2008. The Pixi was not in the marketplace for more than a year later.

The Pixi processor was faster than the Dream.

The Pixi is slow because WebOS is slow.

The Pre 2 was in the market place for less than a year before HP pulled the plug.
    You are avoiding my point with irrelevant facts.

You cannot honestly say that an OS sucks because you are using a 3 year old version of an OS.

That is just a ridiculous statement.

Im aware that the Pre3 was never launched officially by AT&T but I am holding one in my hand right now and using it.

If you want to make a fair statement regarding webOS, then try it on a Veer, Pre3, Touchpad, Pre2, anything with webOS 2.2.4 or 3.05 on it.

Hell, even trying it on a Pre2 with 2.1 which is almost 2 years old would be a more logical statement.

basically you are saying "guys Windows sucks because I use windows 98 and it sucks!"

Thats what you are saying.

The Pixi sucks though, and should never have been released. You are right about that.

But its processor is not more powerful than the HTC Dream. While it has slightly more MHz, it is an ARM6 device, which is much, MUCH slower than the Qualcomm MSM7201A ARM11 processor.

Megahertz mean nothing, what is important is L1 and L2 cache, bus speed, pipeline burst speed and many other factors that go into a CPU. And the Dream outperforms the Pixi in every area.

Plus the Pixi uses software radio, so it needs to allocate about 80mb of RAM to just placing phone calls. So that 256mb of ram is really about 180 mb.

Your Pixi is really about a 300mhz device with 180mb of ram, im sorry to break it to you.

Anything with those specs will be sluggish as hell
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    That's not what I am saying. Your 2010 computer was not stuck with Windows 98. From my perspective webOS is bloated, slow and limited. I get that the Pixi is slow but the Pre wasn't much better.

Those are fairly new products to be stuck with the original OS.

The original iPhone released in 2007 will run IOS 3.1.1 The 3G released in 2008 will run 4.2.1. The 3GS released in 2009 will run the current 5.1.

My wife has a first Gen iPod touch from 2007 and it works great. 3.1.1 is very compatible with the apps, facebook, Kindle, etc.

Th Pre 2 was released in Feb 2011 - not even a year and a half ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    *****, why can't we just get OpenMobile for webOS already.... It cannot be that difficult or cost that much to get it sorted... With the US$ 2 billion that HP threw away on Palm, I'm sure they could spare a million or so to get OpenMobile sorted?
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    That 2 billion is a sunk cost, they are never going to throw significant amounts of money down the bottomless pit that is WebOS.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    How can a company have more faith in Tizen or whatever this OS is then webOS?

And since when was there room for another OS in the smart phone market? I thought everyone kept saying, there is no more room left!

And.....agh, i'm just confused....
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Agreed, and I beat up my orig Pre & then my Pre 2 has been awesome for the most part. My brother gave me his Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G and I've played with it & all, but still can't bring myself to switch it to my primary phone bc Android still frustrates the hell out of me in the UI compared to webOS ... Really hoping come this fall open webOS is ported over to one of the Android high-end phones, and feel like xda or someone else will likely do this so for me its a waiting game to endure a bit longer & be rewarded with webOS on an updated phone.

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Fanboyism?? Lol

I have both a Pre2 and TP the work perfectly. Am i supposed to throw them away to purchase new devices so the "WebOS is dead crowd" (that still feel the need to hang around the forum) can gloat? If you dont mind, i will continue to use my devices and involve myself in WebOS discussions.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post

And since when was there room for another OS in the smart phone market? I thought everyone kept saying, there is no more room left!

http://xkcd.com/927/
    i know it isn't the est fit for the mobile os situation, but it's still funny

keep in mind, other companies are run like HP was run
    they're just not as insane
    usually
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post

There more than likely isn't space for another OS in this current cycle but that's not going to stop a number of companies throwing big bags of money into the bottomless pit call 'the mobile sector'.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12