Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday I looked at a Moto Photon. The hardware far and away superior to my original Pre and well it ought to be as it's two years newer. It's got a fantastic display and a great camera to name but a couple. It also runs all the Android apps like Shazam that were never available to WebOS.

But then it came to maneuvering the OS. Clunky compared to WebOS. I kept trying to flick apps closed and I couldn't. I kept trying to wrinkle start my tray apps and I couldn't, I had to use those clunky buttons. I kept trying to card switch between apps and I couldn't. Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh! I put the photon down and walked out of the Sprint store.

I was sure I'd have that phone when I went into the store. I want that HW but I want WebOS and not Android. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't. I know that soon I'll have to get a new phone, but I'm hoping Meg and the board will do the right thing. Think this through please because you can load an Android phone up with every feature and the most unbelievable HW, but Android 'aint WebOS!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Not all the OS works the same way. WebOS isn't the only way to do stuffs. You just need to learn how to use other OS. Then maybe you can give fair review. Just because they don't have app switcher like webOS, it doesn't mean webOS is better.
    I am seriously considering Photon as well. I already have an android tablet and I do not like Android but given that we're on Sprint and my pre- is on its last legs, what choice do I have? I have Itching Thumb installed on my android tablet... its' far from webOS but at least you have the card view and can flick them off the screen).
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The Photon was one of my choices, but I much preferred vanilla Android. A month in and I still don't like it as much as webOS. The interface just doesn't cut it for me (maybe 4.0 will fix some of that?).
  5.    #5  
    Yeah it's kind of sad. I remember that fateful February almost 2 years ago when the iphone was the rage and Android was gaining momentum, when I brought the Pre into work the i-phoner and the Androider couldn't believe the slickness of WebOS. They also loved it and the HW keyboard as much as I did. I was sure it would catch on and that after the HP acquisition it would finally be on sound footing. I really looked forward to the Pre 3 and now no one knows for sure what will happen. If it's gone, I'll get over it....but it sure was NICE!
    I would switch to WP7 if I needed to jump ship. The OS navigation is at least a little more fluid then Android.

My local Sprint store just fixed by broken power button on my launch day Pre-, and I plan to use my Pre- till the end of it's day Universal search is still the fastest way to find a contact on any phone, and I would hate to not be able to do that anymore. I thought about going to AT&T for the Pre3; but Sprint has treated me so good that I want to at least stick with them until my Pre dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mykall View Post
    Yesterday I looked at a Moto Photon. The hardware far and away superior to my original Pre and well it ought to be as it's two years newer. It's got a fantastic display and a great camera to name but a couple. It also runs all the Android apps like Shazam that were never available to WebOS.

But then it came to maneuvering the OS. Clunky compared to WebOS. I kept trying to flick apps closed and I couldn't. I kept trying to wrinkle start my tray apps and I couldn't, I had to use those clunky buttons. I kept trying to card switch between apps and I couldn't. Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh! I put the photon down and walked out of the Sprint store.

I was sure I'd have that phone when I went into the store. I want that HW but I want WebOS and not Android. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't. I know that soon I'll have to get a new phone, but I'm hoping Meg and the board will do the right thing. Think this through please because you can load an Android phone up with every feature and the most unbelievable HW, but Android 'aint WebOS!
    The problem is that if Android started working like webOS, people are going to start complaining and saying "ANDROID COPIED webOS!" or "Google you copy cats!". And then I'm going to say "but everyone was always complaining about how android was clunky so Google might have done this in order to stop getting those reviews".

I bet you are one of the people that drive around with your brights on all the time on your car not realizing they moved the button to turn your brights on and off from the floor to the a lever on the steering column....sheesh.

(You probably have to be over 40 to understand that...)
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    .......... I thought about going to AT&T for the Pre3; but Sprint has treated me so good that I want to at least stick with them until my Pre dies.
    I didn't think the Pre3 would be available in the US.
  10.    #10  
    vanadium,

I share the same sentiments about moving forward. I'm glad you like the Photon, and I'll probably make the same move soon. Ya gotta' love the speed of the dual-core Tegra. Additionally you've got to be enjoying all the apps that were NEVER available for WebOS like Shazam and thousands of others. At the end of the day it's going to happen. I suppose I can always pop in a battery in the old Pre and revisit the greatest mobile OS ever. I'll tell you this, it's one old phone I'll never throw away.
    You hold down the home button to switch between apps. Intuitive? Not really. Easy to remember after the first time you do it? I sure hope so.

And you don't need to flick apps closed -- Android will close them for you when they need to be closed. You need to get over the idea that you have to close apps -- there are no "too many cards" errors in Android.

I will admit that some things are more elegant in webOS, but since webOS is going away, might as well learn a new OS instead of fighting it.
    I didn't think the Pre3 would be available in the US.
    You can buy the AT&T Pre3 on ebay.
  13.    #13  
    It's a shame that smart phones aren't more like pc hardware where webos could go open source and you could buy a phone and select your OS. This would mean that anyone could load webos on a phone like you load Linux on a pc. It would be supported and developed by the community like Linux and Firefox. While this is possible, the complexities make it almost a non reality. It sure is fun to think about though.
    webos is beautiful. I have never had a phone that I just play with all day long. I launch new cards in stacks just to see the action. Cant give it up. Hope I die before I have to, i would surely die from boredom if I had another phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    And you don't need to flick apps closed -- Android will close them for you when they need to be closed. You need to get over the idea that you have to close apps -- there are no "too many cards" errors in Android.
    Will say same thing I said to my iPhone friend when he asked me why closing apps was important.
    Say you have Skype or something like that open, and want to be signed out, quickest easiest way is to flick it up and have it close.
    I suppose so, but I very rarely have a need for that. Personally, I will take that over receiving "Too many cards" errors any day, since I rarely use anything I'd want to log out of on my phone.

Point is, you need to get used to a new way of doing things, or just stick with the same phone for the rest of your life
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_terminal View Post
    Will say same thing I said to my iPhone friend when he asked me why closing apps was important.
    Say you have Skype or something like that open, and want to be signed out, quickest easiest way is to flick it up and have it close.
    With the skype app on Android, to exit you press “menu” then “close.”

In Webos, you swipe up once to minimize it, then swipe up again to close it.

Both systems require two actions, one requires two taps, the other requires two swipes. I fail to see the difference. It’s like amber and goldenrod… they’re both yellow.

-Suntan
  18.    #18  
    For me it's just the general operational comfort of the OS. For now WebOS has it and Android doesn't. That might change though in Ice Cream Sandwich from what I read. Not sure if they've got the aforementioned Mathias Duarte working on that. However currently Gingerbread certainly doesn't compare to even the original WebOS.
    I had to use those clunky buttons.
    Yes. Where will the fall of this society end if people have to start using “buttons” throughout their day…

Seriously though, the objectivity of a post gets really tenuous when comments like this are used. Anyone have a link to a massive customer review survey that shows irrefutable proof that people prefer to “swipe” instead of “tap?”

What I also find odd, since moving to an android phone, is that there are a lot of places where android makes you swipe to do something that webos made you tap. I suppose in those instances the right action would be to “tap” because the webos interface is never wrong.

In all honesty, as much as I hate trendy, hipster business books; I think most people still clinging to a webos device really should think about reading “Who Moved My Cheese.”

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    With the skype app on Android, to exit you press “menu” then “close.”

In Webos, you swipe up once to minimize it, then swipe up again to close it.

Both systems require two actions, one requires two taps, the other requires two swipes. I fail to see the difference. It’s like amber and goldenrod… they’re both yellow.

-Suntan
    I guess he's saying that he wants to close it without having to go back to the app, and in that case, you would swipe over to Skype and then swipe the minimized card up. Still basically just removes the one extra step from Android (swipe up -> Swipe L or R to get to Skype, and then swipe the card up VS holding down home, choosing Skype, then Menu and then Close). I admit the webOS way is a more elegant, but to act as if the Android way is a terrible chore is exaggerating ... reminds me of those commercials for specialty cookware, where the actor is trying to fry eggs in a pan, and she is just all kinds of flustered, ruining her eggs, on the verge of tears, while the announcer exclaims, "What a mess!!!" Is it really that hard to fry things in a regular frying pan, or are they exaggerating to make it seem easier with their pan ... hmmmm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast