Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #21  
    I don't know if it's that big a deal really, but once you have to push buttons you're maneuvering your hand around the unit and may have to change your grip to get to the button. When you're standing at an airport gate waiting for someone, or whatever, all you need is your thumb to navigate the OS in WebOS. This is very nice especially if you've got something in your other hand.
    Around the unit? The buttons all reside on the bottom of the phone, where your thumb (the digit I use to press the buttons) can easily reach. Even if you turn the phone to landscape, the buttons are still where your thumb lies. I never have issues using one hand to navigate my Evo, and I'm not a big-handed fella. You're reaching

The Evo is a big phone, and the only time I use both hands is to type, and if I cared for Swype (I don't), I could just use one thumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Not all the OS works the same way. WebOS isn't the only way to do stuffs. You just need to learn how to use other OS. Then maybe you can give fair review. Just because they don't have app switcher like webOS, it doesn't mean webOS is better.
    Actually the features that make it better than the others *do* make it better than the others.

webos obviously looses - big time - when it comes to app selection. No denying that.
    Before the Pre3 (and to lesser degrees Veer and Pre2) it couldn't fully compete hardware-wise.

But as long as we talk about the OS itself there's usually wide agreement that webos *is* better than the others (even agreed to by people who then go on to buy Android or IOS devices). Problem is that this by itself is not enough.

Yes, there's different ways to do stuff - and sometimes different is just different (not better or worse) and you just need to grok the other way. But sometimes better is better and not just different.

Unlocking a device by moving a button outside a circle or moving a slider - that's just different.

But having Synergy is better than not having Synergy.
    Having good non-modal notifications is better than having clunky and/or modal notifications.
    Having multi-tasking is better than not having multi-tasking (having multi-tasking does not cost extra power as long as you just run 1 app - so it's never a drawback).
    Having flash is better than not having flash (not a problem on Android).
    etc...
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    But as long as we talk about the OS itself there's usually wide agreement that webos *is* better than the others (even agreed to by people who then go on to buy Android or IOS devices).
    Personally, I disagree with this.

At this point (seeing how other OSes are constantly improving but webos is at a complete standstill and has been for almost a year) I think the closest comment I can agree to is: “WebOS has some very compelling features and design elements within its overall system.” But that is not the same as saying it is the best system.

The simple fact (for me) is that Android as it is now offers me the ability to have it setup and working more effectively than webOS did.

Also, fwiw I find it somewhat ironic how people bemoan buttons on phones when one of the main draws to the webOS handsets are their inclusion of physical keyboards…

But having Synergy is better than not having Synergy.
    Having good non-modal notifications is better than having clunky and/or modal notifications.
    Having multi-tasking is better than not having multi-tasking (having multi-tasking does not cost extra power as long as you just run 1 app - so it's never a drawback).
    Again, other OSes have improved in the years while weboS has sat stationary. None of these issues are really issues anymore on competitors handsets. webOS was unique in a number of ways 2 years ago. Not so much now.

-Suntan
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Also, fwiw I find it somewhat ironic how people bemoan buttons on phones when one of the main draws to the webOS handsets are their inclusion of physical keyboards…

-Suntan
    You still had the option of a soft keyboard in WebOS. If one of those nav buttons break or don't respond your OS has been compromised. I still contend that using my thumb to navigate around WebOS is easier than trying to hit buttons to go back etc and then having to move back to the touch screen, especially when I want to one-hand my device.
    I still don't get the bit about having trouble using a non-webOS phone with one hand. I do it all the time with mine, and my phone is way bigger than any webOS phone. The only time I'll ever use two hands is if I am typing something lengthy or playing a game that necessitates it. You make it sound like a huge hassle, but really, it's not any harder than using a webOS phone. Really.

As for buttons breaking, let's say your home button dies -- you just keep hitting the back button until you're back home. Or the back button dies, you hit the home button to get back home. Both of them die? Well, time to pull the battery, reboot, load Titanium Backup to back up your phone, get a new phone, and use Titanium Backup to restore all of your apps and data (Or if you're not concerned with your app data, just allow Google to restore your apps and settings without TB ... I just prefer my app settings to come along with me).
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    As for buttons breaking...
    I don’t think you’ll convey your point. The person doesn’t want to debate reality, but instead debate some form of reality that happened years ago or not at all.

First, 90% of all android “button” phones available today use capacitive buttons that are nothing more than an extension of the touch screen and exactly the same thing, with the exact same potential failures, as the capacitive touchscreen area on a webos phone.

Second, the space needed to reach “from the screen” to “the buttons” is the same as the distance to “the swipe area” on any phone that is similarly sized. If anything the issue the person is having is just that they don’t want a big phone. But this isn’t an issue as there are small dimensioned android phones on the market too.

Third, the reality is that the actual keys on any pre based phone I have seen were the ones that were much more likely to fritz out than any I have seen on any android phones. Myself, I was lacking a reliable “K” key from the first week I owned the pre+. One OS isn’t going to magically alleviate hardware issues better than another. Pick a phone maker that makes reliable hardware and you’ll likely be better off than picking one that makes junky hardware. Simple as that.

Anyway, if a person wants to think that a “swipe” area is better, so be it. Personally, I’m more interested in making sure the blatantly out of date or wrong comments made about other options are at least addressed lest they lead someone else to form the wrong opinion about their options. Now that webos is dying out, minimizing the FUD around other options should take precedent over the endless cheerleading imo.

-Suntan
    Mikey47 likes this.
    I think all of Pre- , Pre+ and Pre 2 users need to buy Pre 3.

You will have very different experience.. The screen is bigger and very good.
    My Pre 3 just arrived 2 days. I compared side by side with my iPod Touch 4 which has higher res but about same size LCD.. I found Pre 3 can give quite same quality of screen.

Speed, even slow down still happened sometimes, It is faster then previous Pre. Off course ... it is using 1.4Ghz CPU

Build quality very solid and far better then previous Pre series, no cheap feel at all. Keyboard really top notch, and slider really solid.

Other info .. I think you can read Pre 3 review from Derek.

So what's my point here, for WebOS users that already jumped ship to Android but can't adapted with how Android works, and want to go back to WebOS, then buy Pre 3! it is a must have device for WebOS lover . If you not miss WebOS after go to Android, then stay there Android phone surely superior in hardware area, but WebOS has its own strength in many ways in features area.
    That would be great if I could get one for my carrier, but I can't. I'm not willing to swtch carriers for it. I'll get by with my Pre, or I will put the radio in a Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That would be great if I could get one for my carrier, but I can't. I'm not willing to swtch carriers for it. I'll get by with my Pre, or I will put the radio in a Pre 2.
    Yes that really unfortunate that only Pre 3 GSM available to buy.

But if you are a WebOS software developers and want to buy one as a dev phone, maybe some member here can help you. Please check marketplace, and contact the seller to ask price for software developers
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12