Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By stephndudb
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  • 1 Post By dept27
  1.    #1  
    So my wife went out today and traded in her Vzn Pixi Plus for an iPhone 4. Since HP dumped webos in the dumpster, I was interested in watching her play with the legendary King of the smartphones. First, I watched her plug it into a PC to get her data synced. What, no OTA sync of accounts? After a while she told me that her Google contacts hadn't transferred and that only her main Google calendar - but none of her shared calendars - showed up.

I did a Google search and learned how to manually set up an Exchange account for Google. That got the contacts onto her iPhone, but still no shared calendars. Another Google search. Turns out you have to go to a special webpage in Google (www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect) to get the shared calendars to show up in your iPhone. Did that. Didn't work. Deleted all the iPhone Google accounts, then recreated them. That did it. Got the calendars over. Phew! Only 2 Google searches and 45 minutes of frustration to get her accounts set up right. Well, ALMOST right...

For some bizarre reason the all-knowing iPhone made her calendar entries and my calendar entries the same color. No way to change that in the menus. Google searched again, learned how to fix it (by changing colors in a Google Calendar webpage), and then FINALLY after about 1 hour of messing around all the accounts are OK.

So far, I'm not too impressed with the much-vaunted iPhone. Closing apps is a PITA. No Just Type searching. Nothing even REMOTELY close to Synergy. What does the herd see in these Apple products? Yes, the hardware is nice but, honestly, I'm pretty happy with my new Pre 2's hardware so far. And what's my wife doing now? She's plugged into the laptop again getting a software update. No OTA updates either. I AM SO NOT JEALOUS of the iPhone and so sad/angry about what HP did with webos!
    So my wife went out today and traded in her Vzn Pixi Plus for an iPhone 4. Since HP dumped webos in the dumpster, I was interested in watching her play with the legendary King of the smartphones. First, I watched her plug it into a PC to get her data synced. What, no OTA sync of accounts? After a while she told me that her Google contacts hadn't transferred and that only her main Google calendar - but none of her shared calendars - showed up.

I did a Google search and learned how to manually set up an Exchange account for Google. That got the contacts onto her iPhone, but still no shared calendars. Another Google search. Turns out you have to go to a special webpage in Google (www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect) to get the shared calendars to show up in your iPhone. Did that. Didn't work. Deleted all the iPhone Google accounts, then recreated them. That did it. Got the calendars over. Phew! Only 2 Google searches and 45 minutes of frustration to get her accounts set up right. Well, ALMOST right...

For some bizarre reason the all-knowing iPhone made her calendar entries and my calendar entries the same color. No way to change that in the menus. Google searched again, learned how to fix it (by changing colors in a Google Calendar webpage), and then FINALLY after about 1 hour of messing around all the accounts are OK.

So far, I'm not too impressed with the much-vaunted iPhone. Closing apps is a PITA. No Just Type searching. Nothing even REMOTELY close to Synergy. What does the herd see in these Apple products? Yes, the hardware is nice but, honestly, I'm pretty happy with my new Pre 2's hardware so far. And what's my wife doing now? She's plugged into the laptop again getting a software update. No OTA updates either. I AM SO NOT JEALOUS of the iPhone and so sad/angry about what HP did with webos!
    Yes the news of HP not in the hardware business and what is the future of webOS? The feeling is disappointment.
    Thank you for letting us know your struggles with the iPhone set-up. It sure makes us feel good about webOS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    You don't need to close apps. Just leave them ny pressing the button, that's the beauty of it! And you won't get those "Too many cards open" dialogue.

And best of all: It's FAST! Seen the browser?
    Yes, the iPhone is a good gadget, hardware-wise. But a few tweaks here and there, which is far from difficult, and WebOS beats iOS any time...
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    You don't need to close apps. Just leave them ny pressing the button, that's the beauty of it! And you won't get those "Too many cards open" dialogue.

Yes, I have seen the browser (my wife as an iphone 4 and she misses her old blackberry), and I am not impressed. And that even though the iphone doesn't properly display most websites, just a truncated version of them.

And best of all -- we don't live in the golden cage. We can install stuff even if big Steve doesn't want us to.
    Perhaps the problem is that she was coming from a webOS phone. Anyone who thinks that setting up a webOS phone is just as simple as plugging it into your computer and everything just "works" is not being realistic. Just read the forums of all the problems people have with email, with contacts, with profiles, etc, etc.

And no, I'm not an Apple fan (nor an Android fan or any OS fan), I am a fan of the motto "whatever works for you"!
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    webOS beats iOS anyday, but it's not the best (at least in my opinion, none of them are).
    webOS is certainly the better *designed* OS but in terms of implementation and execution, it's in the stone ages compared to iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Perhaps the problem is that she was coming from a webOS phone. Anyone who thinks that setting up a webOS phone is just as simple as plugging it into your computer and everything just "works" is not being realistic. Just read the forums of all the problems people have with email, with contacts, with profiles, etc, etc.

And no, I'm not an Apple fan (nor an Android fan or any OS fan), I am a fan of the motto "whatever works for you"!
    umm, you dont need to plug a webos or most phones into a computer to set it up.

yes, people do have issues w/ certain things, but i bet initial setup was a breeze
    OTA will be ISO 5. Works well in the beta's

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    when i bought my palm pre minus i had tons of setup problems.

I have one gmail account soley for contacts. They are clean and complete. the account gets no email ever. Its only purpose is for contacts. I added that directly to contacts section pre and but none of the images show up properly when i get a call. they are tiny and pixelated. Not only that it sent the the gmail account to contacts and calender and were ever else even though i didn't add it. I had to go manually remove it from email.

I added my 4 other gmail accounts to my email and it put those 4 into my contacts account and flooded my contacts with people i didn't want. I had to manually go into and delete accounts from the contacts section.

at some point i added a facebook account somewhere and it flooded my contacts and email with hundreds of people in my facebook. I didn't ask webos to add those to my contacts. It's just does it so i had to go back and remove facebook.

I added a google calender and it did not and any google entries except holidays. I realized the Pre would only see a google map entry that i'd made on my pre but nothing i entered through the pc. I had to log into google calender on my pc, manually "edit" then "save as" a different type of entry the pre could see for every single entry then wait for it to sync on it's own for it to show up. It often took a whole day for the entry to sync. After a day i just stopped using google calender on the phone.

I've had facebook screw up my accounts many times. I've had my default accounts switched by my phone without me doing it.

I tried to manually add my music and half showed up half didn't even though they were in the same folder and encoded with the same encoder settings. the album cover art flooded my photos gallery. Stuff that did show up often showed up in strange ways like any band with "the" in the name, like "The Beatles", ended up under "T". What a pain in the *** when you have tons of artists with "The" in their band name.

I had ringtones showing up in the music section.

setting up your phone is a pain in the *** no matter what phone you have.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/26/2011 at 03:11 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post

Because there aren't any cards? Only one app at a time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Because there aren't any cards? Only one app at a time?
    No, not exactly.
    some apps run in background some not, the save the state and restart.
    Thats what i love about webos, you now what is running and switching between them is just awesome.
    I have an ipod touch 4G and i really like it, it has the apps im missing from my webOS devices but multitasking sucks imo. dont want to go into detail here...

WebOS is imo the better OS, well theoreticly , if they fixed all the problems users are complaining about for years...
    I migrated to a Veer after an iPhone. The iPhone worked well, it did what it was supposed to do, but nothing else. It was made for my wife, my mother-in-law and less tech-savvy people like them. It lets me back their phone up on a laptop and restore stuff they mess up. I didn't mind syncing mine to a computer at first, but then found out if I tried to charge my phone on more than one computer, it caused problems. If more than one iPhone tried to charge on the same computer, it caused problems. I had to go through a Yahoo! Account to keep my calendar items synced to more than one computer reliably. It was a pain to try to keep files on it, it didn't act as a USB drive like my old iPod did, the virtual keyboard didn't like my fat fingers, and it was too big.

I moved to a Veer and have been pretty happy. I was able to migrate my contacts, calendar items, and e-mail accounts in about 15 minutes. I have a filesystem now. When I add a calendar item, it appears on my Touchpad and my laptop at work without any intervention on my part. When I purchased my firesale Touchpad, I entered my Palm profile info and everything was set up. I entered three passwords and I was done. It was the easiest setup I have ever done on a phone, laptop, desktop, or PDA. This is the WebOS strength. Sure, you can get the iPhone to sort of do that, but it isn't nearly as easy. I like the multitasking, but Sync works and it makes life much easier. WebOS may have a steeper learning curve, but it is worth it for people who can do it (not my grandmother).

When HP said they wanted to put WebOS on their computers, I thought they were trying to break away from Microsoft. Now I understand. By getting Sync to work on computers, on printers, they can multiply their sales. Once you buy a WebOS phone, might as well get a WebOS tablet, they will work better together. If you need a new laptop, might as well get an HP, it will save setup time and headache, and maybe some of the games and cool apps from my Touchpad will transfer over. It sure beats the nothing extra I am going to get for paying the same amount or more for a Dell. When I need a new printer, I am going to buy an HP, because I know they will set up easily (probably autodetect) and play well together. I think Apple is trying to set up something similar with their new iCloud, but it won't have the versatility of WebOS, and it probably won't work as well. HP had it, and threw it away. Could Apotheker not read Hurd's handwriting? They didn't seem to know that they had a strategy and all they had to do was communicate it. Sync is not explained well, I had to use it to really see how it worked. I watched all the demos, read the websites, but none of them effectively explained how this worked.