Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilovedessert
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This boils down to contact a phrenologist ....

take care,

Jay

| 9/22/2011 @ 5:24PM |1,144 views
    webOS' Future Murky Under New HP CEO Whitman

webOS' Future Murky Under New HP CEO Whitman - Forbes

Hewlett-Packardís Thursday ouster of Chief Executive Leo Apotheker and replacement with former eBay CEO Meg Whitman could bring changes to the PC giantís webOS strategy Ė but no one, including HP staffers, seems to know for sure.

Itís a topic of significance to the mobile, wireless and telecom industries. HP assumed control of webOS, a mobile operating system developed by smartphone maker Palm, when it acquired Palm in the summer of 2010.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Soorma likes this.
    Murky? The future is obvious, and has not changed.... it's dead.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Murky? The future is obvious, and has not changed.... it's dead.

Hi all,

There is a Broadway show, (Ain't Misbehaving), that I saw years ago with the great late Nell Carter...there's a great line in it...that fits into this situation..."One never know...Do One?"

You never know what will happen with webOS...right now Wall Street hates the idea of selling or spinning off the computer biz, plus they did spend far and above over the $1.2 Billion they paid for Palm/webOS...plus the next step in computing is mobile...HP has to go along if for no other reason writing of an investment of at this point well over $15 billion in this economy and continuing to go against the wishes of Wall street will continue the soon to be negative value of HP.

Unless HP sells off the computer business into much smaller chunks, at this point no one wants it...all of the major firms already passed on it....all potential buyers are living in the same shrinking economy as HP is...

HP should revive webOS and try to cut a pipeline deal with another firm...

Which is what I stated on this site before Palm even took bids from anyone....said HP should have done BEFORE they even bought Palm/webOS and the same thing I said when Mark Hurd did buy Palm/webOS...

The margins may be smaller on PC's but HP had great marketing strength by being able to go t a firm or a hospital and say we can do it all for you from PC's to main frames...they were going to throw TouchPads into deals for free or nearly free to crack the enterprise market and then came Mark's zipper that needed welding a lackadaisical Leo.....

Too bad we are all paying the price for ever having heard his name...let alone torpedo HP single handed!

Besides indirectly the TouchPad became a hit...now I'm not saying they should continue to sell them for $99 but they did sell a a bunch more when they dropped the price from Apple's price....

They also made a huge mistake in not having the Pre3 ready to go with the Touchpad and bragging in commercials about Touch to Share...

They also should have made a few cleaver commercials saying sure were a little thicker than Apple and a little heavier but we have wireless induction charging and we have touch to share...AND APPLE DOESN'T...AND WE'RE CHEAPER THEN THEY ARE...(well one good thing Leo did was have the return of the creepy Pre lady, LOL).

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm not going to get my hopes up. :[
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I think the bigger problem for WebOS is not android or iOS, it's Windows 8. They failed to crack the tablet or mobile market (or rather gave up at the first hurdle). In *theory*, they could try and build a user base via putting WebOS on PCs. Windows 8 now makes it irrelevant in that space.

WebOS was a nice concept but it's been left behind by the market - even if they decided tomorrow to get back into the WebOS business, to make decent hardware that is competitive with what is coming out in early to mid-end 2012 is going to take six-twelve months. Last week, the Chairman Lane was saying that HP simply wasn't capable of making hardware that can compete with Samsung - what's changed in the last week?

Nothing expect laying off the WebOS engineers which further degrades their limited capacity in their area.

we have touch to share.
    Touch to share is a very limited gimmick that the market has already left behind. Going forward you are going to be unable to buy a phone without NFC, a far more capable technology with far more interesting applications and better industry support - Google wallet is only the start of what we will see made capable via NFC.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think the bigger problem for WebOS is not android or iOS, it's Windows 8. They failed to crack the tablet or mobile market (or rather gave up at the first hurdle). In *theory*, they could try and build a user base via putting WebOS on PCs. Windows 8 now makes it irrelevant in that space.
    Yes, Windows 8 makes WebOS on PCs irrelevant. It will also make selling WebOS tablets very difficult.