Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    From the announcements made, and the layoffs, it seems obvious to me that HP are going to ditch webOS itself and try and market enyo as a cross platform library.

Its game over, folks.

I'm probably going to stick with webOS longer than any sane person would (hell, i have an AmigaOne XE-G4, and am contemplating buying a SAM460. Google those if you want to see some true dedication to a lost cause), and I intend to buy a Pre 3 on eBay once my Pre- contract runs out.

But really, i'm usually a hopeless optimist, but even I can see the writing on the wall... :-(
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    it seems obvious to me that HP are going to ditch webOS itself and try and market enyo as a cross platform library.
    They haven't quite said that but yes the broad direction seems to be market WebOS as a development platform that will run on top of other OSes, maybe eventually even if that will fall away and it will simply be Enyo.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Seems pretty stupid to me... the USP of webOS was the intuitive interface. If it is just a layer in which to write apps for other peoples OS, you won't have the cards, you won't have the gestures, you won't have synergy or just type... just another software layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    From the announcements made, and the layoffs, it seems obvious to me that HP are going to ditch webOS itself and try and market enyo as a cross platform library.

Its game over, folks.

But really, i'm usually a hopeless optimist, but even I can see the writing on the wall... :-(
    I don't know if this has been discussed on these forums already, but in an interview with the german magazine Wirtschaftswoche (link) Bradley states HP does definitely not want to leave the tablet market, they just don't want to produces tablets themselves anymore. He also references Microsoft as in they don't produce PCs either, but believe in Windows and develop and market it.
    Sounds like they're trying to find hardware partners (maybe even the spun off PSG?) - but he also says HP never broke any promises in 70 years and they don't have a credibility problem, so.. yeah..
    The layoffs are not a new development, though: they are of the hardware folks within the webOS GBU, which was what was announced and expected. The OS and Developer Relations people were, to my knowledge, unaffected. {Jonathan}
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Seems pretty stupid to me... the USP of webOS was the intuitive interface. If it is just a layer in which to write apps for other peoples OS, you won't have the cards, you won't have the gestures, you won't have synergy or just type... just another software layer.
    It also makes even less sense in a Windows 8 world - remember when HP were saying that WebOS was going to run on all PCs? What a mess that would be now.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It also makes even less sense in a Windows 8 world - remember when HP were saying that WebOS was going to run on all PCs? What a mess that would be now.
    I really think that Windows 8 is what killed WebOS. I watched the 2 Windows Build keynote last week and one or more speakers stated that they been showing Windows 8 to there hardware vendors and working with the hardware vendors on building PCs and tablets to take full advantage of Windows 8 for a year.

Just think what happened at HP when Microsoft walked in showing a prototype of Windows 8 optimized for touch devices and running on all types of computers from desktops to tablets and all types of chipsets (ARM and x86) last September.

I also read an article that said that the next version of Windows Phone (8.0) will be redesigned to use the Windows 8 kernel. So over time Windows 8 will be on phones, tablets, and computers.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I think you may be very right. Some huge pressure by MS may have been the real reason behind the killing of webOS. It happened before. MS forced Gateway to kill off the development of future Amiga OS and hardware.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    LOL. $1.2B + 1 year of investment for a cross-platform library.

I'll probably be using my Veer & Pre 3 for at least a year or two. Like any tool it will do what it does today just as well one year from now.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0

Its game over, folks.

I'm probably going to stick with webOS longer than any sane person would (hell, i have an AmigaOne XE-G4, and am contemplating buying a SAM460. Google those if you want to see some true dedication to a lost cause), and I intend to buy a Pre 3 on eBay once my Pre- contract runs out.
    Wow, I'm an old Amiga 4000 user (still have mine...) and yes I had to Google your references to see what you were talking about. Those are cool and amazing how things have changed...68040 processor running at 28mhz and 18mb or RAM. Wow things have changed.

Enyo as a cross platform OS...sounds fine to me as long as it helps continue support for webOS that I love. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Wow, I'm an old Amiga 4000 user (still have mine...) and yes I had to Google your references to see what you were talking about. Those are cool and amazing how things have changed...68040 processor running at 28mhz and 18mb or RAM. Wow things have changed.

Enyo as a cross platform OS...sounds fine to me as long as it helps continue support for webOS that I love. Sorli...
    AmigaOne X1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

soon(tm)
    Amigas were awesome machines. I used an A1200 to go on BBSs before the internet as we know it came along, and I remember it multitasked better, with its one or two MEGABYTES of memory and its 12mhz (or thereabouts) 68020 CPU than most of the PCs I used in the years thereafter.

Heck, it's only these last couple of years that PCs could compare in terms of multitasking. Even with a 800 mhz CPU and 512 MB RAM and didn't seem as fluent or fast as on the Amiga.
    (Though in all fairness, we did use computers differently than today)

Those Amigas were awesome! Sometimes I wonder what computing and computers would be like today, if Commodore had survived and PCs hadn't won the day...
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Funny seeing this Amiga discussion. For hysterical raisins I still follow the pkgsrc email list (pkgsrc is a source-based package management system developed for NetBSD and also available to other OS's, similar to its ancestor the FreeBSD ports system as well as to Portage in Gentoo). Apparently, the Amiga port of NetBSD still uses XFree86, and they have been discussing this week how to migrate it to Xorg.