Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Perhaps I reading something not where there is nothing but...when did that ever stop me...

HTC is looking a very large "chunk" office space in Seattle....could it be to buy webOS and move the employees to Seattle??

Here's an article about the property their looking for the webOS is just me guessing and/or dreaming.,...see link.

take care,

Jay

Exclusive: HTC is on the prowl for a big chunk of office space in Seattle
    September 19, 2011 at 10:51 am by John Cook

Exclusive: HTC is on the prowl for a big chunk of office space in Seattle - GeekWire

HTC, the giant Taiwanese smartphone maker, is looking to boost its presence in the Seattle area and has pinpointed the Pioneer Square neighborhood for a major expansion, GeekWire has learned.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Man, you're reaching.
    dignitary and laoh like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Man, you're reaching.
    Hi all,

reaching, dreaming neither cost anything!

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    mjkjr and Rnp like this.
    what does seattle have to do with palm, hp, or silicon valley?
    that's to be close to microsoft... Palm is south of san francisco
  6.    #6  
    Hi all,

It could have nothing to do with HP or webOS or something to do with it....it sure costs far more to run a business in California then in the Seattle area...why do you think so many people and firms have moved to the Seattle area?

HTC is supposedly looking in Seattle.... perhaps the are cost conscious and don't want to run a division of HTC where it's so costly to run a business...

It's also interesting that shortly AFTER the head of HTC brings up the subject of webOS herself, that they should all of a sudden be looking for a huge office site in the USA!

Take care,

Jay
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hi all,

When I was last in the San Francisco area, which is a little more than 5 years ago, the price for real estate, specifically for condo apartments rivaled that of Manhattan... (I wasn't looking at real estate when I was there, I did notice signs outside of apartment buildings...however I have looked at NYC apartments after all I lived there for almost 40 years)...

The year before I was in Seattle and the price of Apartments is far cheaper than NY county or SF.

I'm SURE that extrapolates to commercial real estate....no one says that if HTC buy's webOS that they HAVE to keep webOS in California.

Considering what a hole that Palm and HP got webOS into financially let alone as a now twice defunct OS ...why keep a money losing OS in one of the most expensive states and areas to run a business?

I'm only dreaming that's why HTC is looking for office space...,but if I was looking to take webOS over, moving it to a much cheaper area to run a business is something I might consider...

take care,

jay
    ...but the article says they are ALREADY in Seattle. Just looking for more space.
  9.    #9  
    Hi true yes it does...but the chose all along to NOT be in Silicone Valley and their making money...lots and lots of $! Perhaps if Palm had be far more cost conscious they never would have gotten themselves into the mess that webOS is in.

Parenthicly speaking:

For that matter...I'll never understand what Leo is after now....does he really think he is going to get $1.2 Billion for webOS & patents now???

Or is he afraid of the stockholder if would say let's dump webOS and write it off the books....so he is taking the half a** approach?

I'm sure it's cost HP far more than the $1.2 Billion, where is product design costs for 3 phone and two tablet designs, advertising, fabricating, modifying webOS and all of those salaries.....

Granted webOS was a done deal when Leo came on board.....put that didn't give him card Blanche to screw it up and cost the stockholders billions of $...I still think no matter how many members he's pack the board with he will still have to answer the stockholders and Wall Street.

As it stands now, HP has lost well over 25% of what it was worth before Leo killed off webOS and it's hardware and after webOS/TouchPads/Veer/Pre2 got less then stellar reviews.....just saying he wanted to sell off the PC unit dropped HP's by 20% of it's value in one day...and it hasn't gotten better since then....

Now he's a bigger fool b/c now they want to possibly spin the PC div off....he is doing the two step shuffle. aka tap dancing for the stockholders.... the Buffalo shuffle comes next as the gets pushed out....

Oh and did I forget to mention there are now 2 lawsuits filed seeking class action status against HP and a third law firm slapped HP with discovery motions to produce paperwork, facts and figures...etc...

His brief brilliant tenure at HP cost a FORTUNE!

Take care,

jay
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Wow. HTC is really big if this is true. It's getting popular in our area, too.
    Wow, optimists will grasp at anything ;-).

IF (and that is a honking HUGE if) then I would be more worried about HTC running webOS into the ground a third time!! You would NOT be out trying to acquire office space before any transaction would be done. That is putting the cart WAY before the horse. Especially now with HP laying off around 90% of the webOS GBU, it would not take up much office space to house 100 or so programmers...
    Well, I truly hope this article pans out and HTC opens a new facility in Seattle. HTC can then hire a majority of former GBU folks recently let go by HP.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow, optimists will grasp at anything ;-).

IF (and that is a honking HUGE if) then I would be more worried about HTC running webOS into the ground a third time!! You would NOT be out trying to acquire office space before any transaction would be done. That is putting the cart WAY before the horse. Especially now with HP laying off around 90% of the webOS GBU, it would not take up much office space to house 100 or so programmers...
    Hi all,

As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, it costs nothing to dream!

Take care all,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That's what I'm thinking since there are articles saying that HTC will be making a Windows 8 tablet.
  15.    #15  
    Hi,

that's a good guess....hopefully well know soon.

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking since there are articles saying that HTC will be making a Windows 8 tablet.
    HTC will definately be making Windows 8 Tablet. They always make Microsoft mobile products.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

As I pointed out at the beginning of this thread, it costs nothing to dream!

Take care all,

Jay
    Your sanity...

I kid I kid
    OF COURSE it's to be closer to Microsoft and because of their cooperation on Windows8 and WP7 devices.

HTC want no part of webOS... Why would they? They've spent years and billions of dollars on their Sense overlay, so why would they kick that to the curb for webOS, or spend the necessary ressources to port Sense to webOS?

If you say it's because they want a third option as an OS, they already support three OS. Android, WP7 and Quallcoms BREW.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    OF COURSE it's to be closer to Microsoft and because of their cooperation on Windows8 and WP7 devices.

HTC want no part of webOS... Why would they? They've spent years and billions of dollars on their Sense overlay, so why would they kick that to the curb for webOS, or spend the necessary ressources to port Sense to webOS?

If you say it's because they want a third option as an OS, they already support three OS. Android, WP7 and Quallcoms BREW.
    Hi all,

The head of HTC said point blank last week they are considering buying an OS, so who knows.....

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    what does seattle have to do with palm, hp, or silicon valley?
    Coffee...programmers need coffee...Seattle's Best, Starbucks, Peets, oh wait, Peets is down in the Bay area!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast